64-bit: More than just the RAM

64-bit: More than just the RAM
Author: Brett Thomas
Published: 16th Oct 2007

Introduction
If you're a member of this or any other technology-based forum, odds are that you've noticed the several versions of Microsoft's latest offering, Windows Vista. If you haven't, well... please come out from under that rock and get with the programming!

One of the biggest changes has been the clear offering and even a gentle push towards the 64-bit version of the OS. Indubitably, this extra option becomes fodder for forum discussion, usually along the line of:

Forumite 1: "Hi, I am building a new system and I wanted to know what your thoughts were on whether I should use 64-bit or 32-bit Vista? I've heard varying things around the net regarding compatibility, and was hoping someone could help."
Forumite 2: "Hi! I just read your post. You should definitely go with the 32-bit version. There's tons of compatibility problems with 64b (Just look at XP-64), and it's going to die a long, drawn-out death. Besides, the only actual difference between them is that 64-bit can make proper use of 4GB of RAM."
Forumite 1: "Oh, ok! Thanks!"

Now, what's wrong with this picture? The answer is a lot. Time and time again, self-proclaimed gurus determine that the only real difference between 32-bit computing and 64-bit computing is the memory limit. Are they right that RAM is a reason? Definitely - but that's missing about 99 percent of the true differences. By that logic, the only major difference between your old 8-bit Nintendo console and your Xbox 360 is processor speed. I think we can all agree, that's just wrong.

Read More at the Source :
NOTE: Very informative. Be sure to click Next Page at the bottom for all of it.

Bit-tech.net: 64-bit: More than just the RAM < Click Link Here

Enjoy,
Shawn

It is more than just RAM.
64bit computing is what you call fast because anything on a 32bit system is just plain slow :D The technology is not new to the marketplace. I remember when the first processor with 64bit support came out, the AMD64 3500+, the idea was approached but there was an lack of software. I should of switched when XP Professional 64 was available a couple years ago thus my knowledge would mature a little by now.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    i7 965
    Motherboard
    Asus Rampage II Extreme
    Memory
    Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 x 2
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX295 SLI
    Sound Card
    SB X-Fi MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung Syncmaster T240
    Screen Resolution
    1900x1200
    Hard Drives
    2x1TB Western Digital Black (Raid 0), 150GB WD Raptor
    PSU
    1200W Thermaltake Toughpower
    Case
    Lian Li PC80P
    Cooling
    Chassis - 3 Front 140mm, Top 140mm, Rear 140mm
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Other Info
    Fold up beast by me :-)
It is more than just RAM.
64bit computing is what you call fast because anything on a 32bit system is just plain slow :D The technology is not new to the marketplace. I remember when the first processor with 64bit support came out, the AMD64 3500+, the idea was approached but there was an lack of software. I should of switched when XP Professional 64 was available a couple years ago thus my knowledge would mature a little by now.

No, the technology is not "new"...nor is the idea. What IS relatively new is 64-bit computing as a consumer market product...and in this case, specifically to Windows. That's why this topic is discussed frequently these days in forum threads like this.

And there was 64-bit software for 64-bit computers for a long time. Just not what you would use as a consumer. Most of them were for specialty purposes and servers. And an overwhelming amount of software was custom made. As a matter of fact, software that is "available for purchase" is only a small percent of programs in the whole world if you want to talk about it in that way. Most software is made by programmers for specific purposes and is never seen by you and me (and often is secret). Some cost over a million dollars to develop and is only used by 1 "customer" in the whole world!

Hence OS's like XP 64 Professional was for "professional use" as it's title indicates. It doesn't have support for a wide range of consumer products (both software and hardware). Vista 64-bit Home Premium is for "home use". That's the difference. ;)

My Computer

I've also noticed there are not as many compatible programs for 64 bit computers at the moment. They all say "we are working on a program for that." Yeah right!

My Computer

I've also noticed there are not as many compatible programs for 64 bit computers at the moment. They all say "we are working on a program for that." Yeah right!

It's a pita to try to set up 64 bit software development environment, esp for low cost or free. The Visual Studio Express and other free compilers for Windows are only 32 bit. afaics all the new desktops over $500 are coming with Vista Home Premium 64 SP1 so it's only a matter of time before the 64 bit base provokes more development tools for 64 bit. Every time you transition like from 16 bit to 32 bit there's kind of a no man's land you have to get across until the higher bit base reaches "critical mass" or whatever jargon is popular at the moment to indicate it's worth the time to do stuff for the new platform.

Gimme a free 64 bit IDE that's easy to use and I'll churn out little gizmos no problemmo!! :) It would be esp. good if they provided a free tool that could compile stable shell extensions. They are a pita unless you have a wizard to spit out the skeleton code. I have such a wizard for VC++ 6 but that only churns out 32 bit dlls.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
I feel kinda noobish. :o

When choosing an OS for my PC I did the research between x86 and x64 and ultimately decided on x64. During that research I didn't see or even put it together that x64 is the cause for larger amounts memory.

Thanks for the link, it went a little more in depth than what I had researched.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CyberPower
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5N-E SLI nForce 650i
    Memory
    4GB PC6400 DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA Nvidia 9800GT GDDR3 512Mb
    Sound Card
    On-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung T220HD
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    320GB Western Digital Caviar
    PSU
    Xion 580W
    Case
    Raidmax Sagittarius II
    Cooling
    3x120mm fans
    Mouse
    Logitech MX518
    Internet Speed
    8Mb on cable
Excellent topic...i do CAD Design and 64 bit makes a huge difference compared to just the RAM. I have a Dell Precision with dual quad core Xeon CPUs on a XP 32 bit Pro and my Vista 64 bit laptop blows it out of the water hands down.

64 bit computing is by far the future and sooner people start to notice that the further it will advance.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion DV7-1129wm Entertainment PC
    CPU
    AMD Turion X2 RM-72 Dual Core @ 2.1GHz
    Memory
    2 x 2 GB Hyundai DDR2 400 MHZ
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3200 @ 256 MB
    Sound Card
    IDT High Definition Audio/SRS Premium Sound/Altec Lansing
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Laptop Screen
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900 laptop, external 17 in LCD 1024 x 768
    Hard Drives
    WD Scorpio Blue 320 GB SATA 5400 RPM
    Toshiba 68 GB SATA 5400 RPM Second Drive (backup)
    PSU
    8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    Case
    Laptop with "light up" HP Logo on outside
    Cooling
    Insane air coming out of Targus dual fan cooler
    Keyboard
    Full Keyboard with numpad
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 3000 / Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Comcast Cable 20 MBps
    Other Info
    Used Primarily for CAD design using SolidWorks 2010.
    Also I love to watch HD movies using the HDMI output(Netflix).
    Linked to my Xbox 360 for Windows Media Center
    3 USB ports + USB/eSata
    HP Remote for Windows Media Center and Quickplay
    Internal Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
    External HP Lightscribe Dual Layer DVD+/-RW
    HP Webcam and Microphone
I remember when i bought this lap top it says on the box lap top comes with 4GB ram but 1GB will be used up by the OS it does not mention because its a 32bit system that it wont be able to use all 4GB, i would of thought they would mention thats why to get people to upgrade to 64bit system. it came with home premiume but i upgraded to 64bit ultimate now, is much better.

My Computer

System One

• Memory
    4GB
    Hard Drives
    c:250GB
    Internet Speed
    4mbit adsl
Here's a account of a big system builder...

compare_os.png

OS Trends Over Time: XP vs. Vista, 32-bit vs. 64-bit | Puget Systems Blog

My Computer

I remember when i bought this lap top it says on the box lap top comes with 4GB ram but 1GB will be used up by the OS it does not mention because its a 32bit system that it wont be able to use all 4GB, i would of thought they would mention thats why to get people to upgrade to 64bit system. it came with home premiume but i upgraded to 64bit ultimate now, is much better.

The unpleasant surprise, as I'm finding out now, is you may end up with a PC that's nearly impossible to restore via backup imaging. See my specs. The "Raid Ready" controller requires a 64 bit Windows driver. Linux-based rescue CD that comes with my image backup software don't cut it. A small restore that would take 45 minutes on my 32 bit non-Raid Ready PC is an overnight job on this one.

edit: (deleted some piddling and moaning. Just frustrating when standard techniques, like splitting off a partition and installing another OS I can boot and do the restore from there, don't work so easily.) :)

edit2: If you happen to own the same PC as mine with Raid Ready then just FYI Macrium Reflect paid version works. The Linux Rescue CD accesses my HD with no special settings. The Linux Rescue CD in the free version won't cut it. The paid has a newer Linux CD version. Also I think they changed the image backup format so that clever people won't use the trial version to burn the Rescue CD, then the free version to do backups. :)

But it's worth $40 to me to do a restore in 90 minutes instead of 9 hours!!
All these things have mucho hardware dependencies, so if you can, download
a trial, burn the Rescue CD and boot it. See if it shows your HD before you buy or rely on the backup program.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
A month ago I converted from Vista Home Premium x32, to the x64 of the same edition
I used the same keycode, and it's still worked, fully genuine!

A lot of Emulators (Dolphin being one) have a huge advantage when you are using a 64-bit OS because the game systems themselves run 64-bit...emulating a 64-bit system on a 32-bit OS is harder on the CPU than running the same, but 64-bit version of that emulator on a 64-bit OS. The emulator doesn't have to convert it to 32-bit, thus better emulation!

One other point I want to make is that now-a-days a lot of people are converting to x64, it's like a new perfect religion!

Most companies now supply full support for x64 drivers and such, and even freeware programs are now supporting x64. I personally have found a x64 driver for everything on my computer, no problem!

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Pentium D 2.8 GHz (model 915)
    Motherboard
    intel chipset
    Memory
    Ultra 4 GB DDR2 333.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX Nvidia 9800 GTX
    Sound Card
    intergrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18" and 17" Dells
    Screen Resolution
    1600x1200 at 85 hertz maxium
    Cooling
    fans
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    DSL (96 KB/s Down.......)
Im gonna be way off topic here to some degree. But Why cant i find a 64 bit PS3 Controller driver

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    intel duo core 3.1 ghz
    Motherboard
    P5N-D
    Memory
    8 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x 512 Radeon 4850
    Sound Card
    older Audigy
    Hard Drives
    waiting for solid state
    PSU
    Chou Riki 850w
    Case
    antec P193
    Cooling
    insane air flow
A month ago I converted from Vista Home Premium x32, to the x64 of the same edition
Wow, that's great news. I was going to reinstall my older Vista x86 pretty soon, it would be great to go to x64 (I have a x64 install disc for my newer system).

Have you heard of other people reporting the same results? You'd think that business-wise, Microsoft wouldn't care as long there are two paid keycodes being used on two different systems, but who knows?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    home brew: Asus P6T + i7 920
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T
    Memory
    12 Gb, 1600 MHz, Corsair TR3X6G1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia EVGA 9800 GTX+
    Sound Card
    built-in Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SAMSUNG 2343BWX
    Screen Resolution
    2048 x 1152
    Hard Drives
    2x Raptor 74GB in RAID 0
    2x WD 500GB
    1x WD 1000GB
    PSU
    BFG Tech LS-550 550W
    Case
    Antec Three Hundred
    Cooling
    ZALMAN CNPS9900LED, 2x intake, 2x exhaust
    Internet Speed
    FiOS 20/20
    Other Info
    LG Internal Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Model GGC-H20L
Wow, that's great news. I was going to reinstall my older Vista x86 pretty soon, it would be great to go to x64 (I have a x64 install disc for my newer system).

Have you heard of other people reporting the same results? You'd think that business-wise, Microsoft wouldn't care as long there are two paid keycodes being used on two different systems, but who knows?

So here is the thing. I had Vista Home Premium 32bit on my lapto and I have installed Vista Home Premium 64bit using the same serial key. I have tried to install Vista Ultimate, both 32bit and 64bit using this key, but it didn't activate. So, as long as it is the same version of OS, Home Premium 32bit or Home Premium 64bit, Microsoft allows you to use the same serial key.
So if you want to install 64bit OS, go ahead, it will work perfectly, as long as it is the version of OS.

My Computer

So what's wrong with orange shag carpeting? heh.

Awesome read. I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 on brand new hardware and I never had a single problem w/ drivers except for the Creative Game Port. I'm still using my old sound card (Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Professional-I happen to like DTS and THX) on a new Asus P6T Deluxe V.2 w/ a Core i7 965 Extreme. I only have 6gb of Corsair Dominator RAM and it's at 1600 which is a waste because I haven't OC'ed anything yet and it doesn't utilize all 1600 mhz, but the point is all hardware had 64bit drivers available except for the game port, (which I don't use anyway).

Everything runs great and the only thing I have problems with is Internet Exploder 8 crashes every day. Adobe Photoshop CS4 x64 is nice and is wicked fast, but none of my plugins work with it, leaving me to use the 32bit version included in Creative Suite Master Collection. I'm sure it's a problem with the plugin company developers being slow to make their products 64bit.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 965 Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Asus P6T Deluxe V2
    Memory
    6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA GeForce GTX285 SSC Edition
    Sound Card
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Professional
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Gateway w/ Faroudja HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2-Seagate 7200 500 GB 32MB cache
    1-Seagate 7200 750 GB 32MB cache
    1-Seagate 7200 320 GB 16MB cache
    PSU
    Antec 850w
    Case
    Thermaltake Armor+MX
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper N520
    Keyboard
    Logitech 3200 Wireless Desktop
    Mouse
    Logitech 3200
    Internet Speed
    30Mb/10Mb up
    Other Info
    LG BR/DVD/CD Burner, HP Deskjet 1220C, HP Officejet 7590, Philips 5.1, Gateway MP8708 laptop running XP.
So, it's going to die a long, slow death? Well I guess we should all just go back to 8-bit DOS 3.2 or maybe Windows 3.1

I remember the same thing when we all went from 16-bit to 32-bit.
When we went from FAT16 to FAT32.

No, I will stick with 64 bit. Looking ahead to 128-bit systems!!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Built it myself
    CPU
    2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 64 bit
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte P31-S3G
    Memory
    4 GB DDR2
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS