64-bit: More than just the RAM

64-bit: More than just the RAM
Author: Brett Thomas
Published: 16th Oct 2007

Introduction
If you're a member of this or any other technology-based forum, odds are that you've noticed the several versions of Microsoft's latest offering, Windows Vista. If you haven't, well... please come out from under that rock and get with the programming!

One of the biggest changes has been the clear offering and even a gentle push towards the 64-bit version of the OS. Indubitably, this extra option becomes fodder for forum discussion, usually along the line of:

Forumite 1: "Hi, I am building a new system and I wanted to know what your thoughts were on whether I should use 64-bit or 32-bit Vista? I've heard varying things around the net regarding compatibility, and was hoping someone could help."
Forumite 2: "Hi! I just read your post. You should definitely go with the 32-bit version. There's tons of compatibility problems with 64b (Just look at XP-64), and it's going to die a long, drawn-out death. Besides, the only actual difference between them is that 64-bit can make proper use of 4GB of RAM."
Forumite 1: "Oh, ok! Thanks!"

Now, what's wrong with this picture? The answer is a lot. Time and time again, self-proclaimed gurus determine that the only real difference between 32-bit computing and 64-bit computing is the memory limit. Are they right that RAM is a reason? Definitely - but that's missing about 99 percent of the true differences. By that logic, the only major difference between your old 8-bit Nintendo console and your Xbox 360 is processor speed. I think we can all agree, that's just wrong.

Read More at the Source :
NOTE: Very informative. Be sure to click Next Page at the bottom for all of it.

Bit-tech.net: 64-bit: More than just the RAM < Click Link Here

Enjoy,
Shawn

lol to be honest I wish I could sometimes still use Windows 2000 Professional. I use 32 bit because its easier to work with at this time.

My Computer

I don't understand whether I have 64 or 32 bit. Probably 64 but I don't know. What's the difference between them?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 530
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Keyboard
    Dell/Logitech
    Mouse
    Dell USB Mouse, Logitech Wireless Mouse or Windows Optical
    Other Info
    Thank you for everything you've done for me in the past years. I'm sorry that games require much more than you're capable of, but you'll never be forgotten as my first personal computer <3
Also you can just do this at a command prompt:

dir %windir%\SysWow64

If the SysWow64 folder is there, you're on 64 bit Windows.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion m9515y
    CPU
    Phenom X4 9850
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Some Radeon Cheapie with 512 MB Ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CRT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    750 GB SATA 3G
    2 SIIG Superspeed docks w/WD Caviar Black Sata II or III
Vista Ultimate 64 bit seems very stable and no finding driver problems here either. Waiting to up my computer to 8 gig's shortly. Then I hope it will really fly.

It really is a great operating system. The more ram installed for a 64 bit system, the faster it appears. My computer has mounted 12 gigabyte's though I'll probably optimize to 24 in the future.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
Back