Another Big Fish Games problem

jeregrl

I've enjoyed Big Fish Games for years. I purchased a new HP Pavilion dv6810 laptop with Windows Vista 32bit. When I try to download any game, I get an error 801 that says I'm not connected to the internet. I've tried everything Big Fish advises to do (whitelisting, running in XP compatibility mode, etc.). I've talked with Big Fish about this for 6 months and still have not gotten a resolution. Other programs have the same problem. When I try to update adobe, I get the error that I'm not connected to the internet. Same thing with Java. Does anyone have an idea of what to do. Also I'm not able to download any bit torrents. It says no connection.

Last edited:

My Computer

Sounds like an error with either your internet or your browser. Try downloading safari, firefox, or chrome and see if you get the same errors. If that doesnt fix it, then im stumped.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5QC
    Memory
    2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce 9500GT 1Gb
    Sound Card
    Mobo
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 206bw
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SP2514N ATA 250Gb 7200RPM
    Samsung [Model] 1Tb 7200RPM SATA2
    PSU
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W
    Keyboard
    Razer Tarantula
    Mouse
    Razer Lachesis
    Internet Speed
    not fast enough
jeregrl welcome to the forum.

I have a good idea what may be causing the problem. I have a feeling that what is causing the problem is the bloat/crapware that HP (and the rest of them (Dell, Acer, etc) like to install) in the form of HP's connection software, that overrides Vista's default connection settings. If I am right then if you can find it (or them, last Acer I worked on there was at least two different variations of the same thing) and disable it, things should be normal.

To disable it open msconfig (click on Start and type msconfig in the search box) and click on the Startup tab and see if you can find anything relating to HP and internet connections. There may also be a service (same as above only this time type serv and then select Services from the list) and see if there is anything similar (leave and of the Windows services alone).

P.S. Be nice if someone more familiar with the HP specific software could weigh in here and point jeregrl to the correct items in msconfig and Services to disable.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Me
    CPU
    Athlon x2 7750 BE
    Motherboard
    Asus M4A78 Pro
    Memory
    2x2gb Kingston
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 4830
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Xtreme Music
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer P221w and Acer 1916w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 and 1440x900
    Hard Drives
    2x80 GB Seagate 7200.10 in RAID0, 500 GB Seagate 7200.12
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 500W
    Case
    Antec Sonata III
    Cooling
    AC Freezer 64 Pro and a couple of 120 mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 v2
    Internet Speed
    10000/1000
jeregrl welcome to the forum.

I have a good idea what may be causing the problem. I have a feeling that what is causing the problem is the bloat/crapware that HP (and the rest of them (Dell, Acer, etc) like to install) in the form of HP's connection software, that overrides Vista's default connection settings. If I am right then if you can find it (or them, last Acer I worked on there was at least two different variations of the same thing) and disable it, things should be normal.

To disable it open msconfig (click on Start and type msconfig in the search box) and click on the Startup tab and see if you can find anything relating to HP and internet connections. There may also be a service (same as above only this time type serv and then select Services from the list) and see if there is anything similar (leave and of the Windows services alone)

How does your opinionated tirade help cure the OP's problem? What specific advice do you offer? It's people like you who have less knowledgeable users doing more harm than good to their systems by listening to "generic rubbish"

Offer some concrete advice or simply say you don't know, and point them towards someone who does, like HP's Tech Support, but don't tell them to remove stuff without telling them what that "bloat/crapware" is.

P.S. Be nice if someone more familiar with the HP specific software could weigh in here and point jeregrl to the correct items in msconfig and Services to disable.

Is the best advice given thus far.

To the OP,

Are you wireless? If so, do you get a constant connection? Might it be your connection settings?

You can run a diagnostic check on your internet connection by going to:
"Control Panel",
"Network and Sharing Center", under your network click,
"View Status", when the "Local Area Connection Status" box opens click,
"Diagnose" and see what it says, then go from there.

Also, go into your
"Control Panel",
"Windows Firewall",
"Change settings",
Click "Exceptions" tab and check to see if your game is listed, if it is, make sure the check box next to the game is checked. This tells your firewall the game is good to run. You can also check to see what other items are blocked, but be careful.

Let us know.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Corsair TWIN2X4096-PC8500 (2x2GHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4890 (1GHz)
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Titanium - Fatality Pro Series
    Monitor(s) Displays
    hp w2207h (22" widescreen)
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    One 750GB, 2x500GB Western Digital Caviar Black Hard Drives (32meg)
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    "High" Speed DSL? Is that like low speed FIOS?
    Other Info
    Q6600 B3 Revision OC to 3.0GHz
First of all I didn't say anything about removing anything, I said to disable it. And that is why I suggested looking for and if present, disabling the HP connection software to see if that is what is causing the problems. If it isn't the problem then it can be easily re-enabled if desired.

As for bloat/crapware this is the kind of thing I am referring too,

and that is only about 1/3 of the Add/Remove list.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Me
    CPU
    Athlon x2 7750 BE
    Motherboard
    Asus M4A78 Pro
    Memory
    2x2gb Kingston
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 4830
    Sound Card
    X-Fi Xtreme Music
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer P221w and Acer 1916w
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050 and 1440x900
    Hard Drives
    2x80 GB Seagate 7200.10 in RAID0, 500 GB Seagate 7200.12
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 500W
    Case
    Antec Sonata III
    Cooling
    AC Freezer 64 Pro and a couple of 120 mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech G5 v2
    Internet Speed
    10000/1000
@sygnus21: Wow way to be supportive and polite.

Stormy is right though, PC sellers like Dell and HP DO load their computers with crapware. This is not due to any mean intentions on their part, and its not that the crapware is not SOMETIMES USEFUL to SOME PEOPLE, its that all the "free" software and trails that they load on the hard drive before shipping it cause more harm than good. Usually it is good intentioned and advertising, but it tends to slow the computer down (thus bloatware). I myself have had nothing but problems with it, and the last time i bought a new prebuilt computer the first thing i did was wipe the drive rather than face the daunting task of having to clean those programs (like NORTON *growls*) off painfully and slowly (not to mention buying the ones that i want) it is simply easier to start with a fresh slate (despite the problems of finding new drivers and programs)

Now please remember Sygnus, we say this with good intentions, so please dont attack people for their opinions. If you disagree, just say so! (Please keep in mind im not trying to attack you either!)

@Jeregrl: In Sygnus' suggestions, i think he might have an idea, but i think stormy could also be right. I would try stormy's first (because it is easier and will likey solve your problem).

~Lordbob

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5QC
    Memory
    2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Mobo
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 206bw
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Keyboard
    Razer Tarantula
    Mouse
    Razer Lachesis
    Internet Speed
    not fast enough
@sygnus21: Wow way to be supportive and polite.

Stormy is right though, PC sellers like Dell and HP DO load their computers with crapware. This is not due to any mean intentions on their part, and its not that the crapware is not SOMETIMES USEFUL to SOME PEOPLE, its that all the "free" software and trails that they load on the hard drive before shipping it cause more harm than good. Usually it is good intentioned and advertising, but it tends to slow the computer down (thus bloatware). I myself have had nothing but problems with it, and the last time i bought a new prebuilt computer the first thing i did was wipe the drive rather than face the daunting task of having to clean those programs (like NORTON *growls*) off painfully and slowly (not to mention buying the ones that i want) it is simply easier to start with a fresh slate (despite the problems of finding new drivers and programs)

Now please remember Sygnus, we say this with good intentions, so please dont attack people for their opinions. If you disagree, just say so! (Please keep in mind im not trying to attack you either!)

@Jeregrl: In Sygnus' suggestions, i think he might have an idea, but i think stormy could also be right. I would try stormy's first (because it is easier and will likey solve your problem).

~Lordbob

I disagree with stormy's generic remove things that don't look right fix. What if the OP doesn't know what to look for and removes the wrong programs?

Yes, some computer makers put a lot of crap on their systems then leave it up to the consumer to figure out, or fix if things go awry. I've personally had to deal with it, and it is a pain. You get no disagreement with me there.

However I've seen what this "generic remove" stuff mentality can do to the ill informed. I just helped someone with a problem like that in this very forum here: http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/194949-bioshock-microsoft-visual.html#post898135, and here: http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/196895-huge-vista-problem-help.html

Both received bad advice and both are fairly new to computers. So yeah, I think I've been supportive.

Remember, not everyone is a "power user", so some of that "crap" serves a function.

Sorry, maybe I should have been a little more PC (politically correct).

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
No you were right, just perhaps a little unclear. Though you are right about not necessarily knowing what to remove. What's OP?
Sorry for snapping at you.
Another idea for Jeregrl: look on the eight corner of the start menu, and see if there are any other network icons. If there are, then you are using a third party program to mo itor your wireless, so try to disable it.

I still think you should try anoher browser and see if you get the same errors.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5QC
    Memory
    2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Mobo
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 206bw
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Keyboard
    Razer Tarantula
    Mouse
    Razer Lachesis
    Internet Speed
    not fast enough

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
I checked my network connections and diagnosed my connection and found no error. I also checked my windows firewall to see if the programs I'm having trouble with were whitelisted and they are. I went into msconfig and there is a process called HPWireless Assistant but it has been unchecked and the date disabled is July the 8th. So what are the other junk programs? The picture in your message was too small for me to read.

My Computer

I went into msconfig and there is a process called HPWireless Assistant but it has been unchecked and the date disabled is July the 8th.

You can:

1- Call HP and find out what the program does,
2- Do a Google search and see what the program is or does, or...
3- You can enable it and see if it cures your problem

Or...If the machine is still under warranty, I'd call HP and have them troubleshoot the problem before uninstalling anything. After that, go from there. I'd also have a look at HP's forums; just to get an idea of what's what.

Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Antec Neo HE 550
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Revolution
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Other junk programs are just programs that you dont want; usually programs that come preinstalled on prebuilt computers. (there is a reason i custom build)

Sometimes they screw with each other, and sometimes not. In this case it looks like its disabled and running ok. Once again, please try using another browser such as firefox, chrome, or safari. This really might help the problem. Or it might not. BUt its worth a shot.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5QC
    Memory
    2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)