Another update stuck thread (sorry!) all tips not working on this on this laptop....

Re: Another update stuck thread (sorry!) all tips not working on this on this laptop.

Yes, everything else is updated and nothing else shows - it searched fully and only this one optional update is there. Reviewing that update, it has a description but no number, just says size 35.5mb and published 5/31/2011

IE9 patch is still KB982861 after reboot

Hi NYCNY:

Here's a bit of background information. Vista's Service Pack 2 was released in May 2009 and comes bundled with the old IE7 browser. If I remember correctly, the first Windows Update you run after SP2 is installed should upgrade your browser to the original build of IE9 (Update Version 9.0.1 / KB982861) from May 2011, and it usually takes one or two more Windows Updates after that to get IE9 fully patched to Update Version 9.0.57 / KB3203621.

I recall another Vista SP2 user having a similar error 9C48 when they tried to update the 32-bit version of IE9 in October 2016 - please see my post # 186 in the bleepingcomputer thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates". In Dredredre's case, she had a special "IC" (Internet Content Provider) build of IE9 that seemed to confuse Windows Update. We were eventually able to update her browser using the latest available standalone .msu installer, but Windows Update kept trying to offer the Optional update for IE9 dated 31-May-2011 that failed with an error 9C48 (see post # 188). She eventually hid that Optional update so that it wasn't re-offered every time Windows Update ran, and as far as I know her monthly cumulative updates for IE9 have continued to install normally every Patch Tuesday since then.

I'm not sure why your Update Version of IE9 is RTM (an early Release to Manufacturers version, first distributed March 2011) rather than the general v9.0.1 that most users with Vista SP2 and IE8 received via an automatic Windows Update in May 2011, but if the name of your Optional update is "Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Vista" (with no KB number), then Windows Update is likely trying to install the same May 2011 version of KB982861 that was being offered to Dredredre and is getting confused because you already have the RTM version of KB982861.

Let's try one more time and see if KB3203621 will install now that your Vista SP2 OS is patched. Go to http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3203621 Vista and download the 64-bit Vista SP2 installer. Save it to your desktop, close your browser, double-click the .msu installer to run, and then re-boot when prompted if the installation is successful.

Microsoft Update Catalog Vista IE9 KB3203621 Dec 2016.jpg
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v51.0.1 * NIS v22.9.0.68 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
Re: Another update stuck thread (sorry!) all tips not working on this on this laptop.

Ahh, thanks - it's KB982861. I located the vista 64 bit installer for kb3203621 but it just gave me the "does not apply to your system" .....

Hi NYCNY:

Just one quick thought about your "not applicable" warning when you run your standalone .msu installer for KB3203621. This message is usually displayed if you you run an installer for an update that is already installed on your computer or use an installer with the wrong bitness (e.g., you try to run a 64-bit .msu installer for 32-bit software) - see the MS support article "The update is not applicable to your computer" error when you install Windows updates.

You have a 64-bit Vista OS but your image in post # 19 indicates that you are using the default 32-bit version of IE9 rather than the 64-bit version (i.e., Help | About Internet Explorer does not display "64-bit Edition" as shown <here>). If the 64-bit standalone installer for KB3203621 from http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3203621 Vista gives you the same "not applicable" warning, try running the 32-bit (x86) installer.

The How-To Geek article How to Use a 64-bit Web Browser on Windows describes how to launch the 64-bit version of IE9. Is your 64-bit version of IE9 fully patched or is it also stuck at KB982861?
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v51.0.1 * NIS v22.9.0.68 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Imacri,
fwiw, you are really doing a great job and putting in the extra effort helping NYCNY in this thread, as well very nice job really, with all the important details !!! ...it's very commendable!

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista/Win7/Win8/Win10 (x86/x64)
    Manufacturer/Model
    ..all towers built from scratch
    CPU
    i7's
    Other Info
    ..including W98SE/WXP
    No VM's ..all OS's are live

Ok - thanks to all for the time, really really appreciated!

Tried both the 64 and 32 bit installers and both said does not apply to your system

The IE9 listed in my update history says "IE 9 for Windows Vista for x64 based systems" so I'm puzzled as to why the about says 32 bit....

Should I try to remove IE9 completely and then start over? Also weird, I am in the list of updates to uninstall just looking and do NOT see any IE9 entry! What should I be looking for?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    dv4-1435dx

Should I try to remove IE9 completely and then start over? Also weird, I am in the list of updates to uninstall just looking and do NOT see any IE9 entry! What should I be looking for?

Hi NYCNY:

Did you try launching the 64-bit version of IE9 from your Windows Start button as I suggested in post # 22 to see if you have at least one IE9 browser that's updating correctly? I don't have a 64-bit Vista SP2 computer but manyt 64-bit Windows OSs come with both a 32-bit and 64-bit IE browser. The 32-bit version launches by default since it is compatible with most add-ons.

Re-installing IE9 might be faster than trying to track down the cause of your 9C48 error. I did a bit of searching and the solution can be ridiculously easy (one user found this error disappeared when they logged in to Windows with a user account that had Administrator rights) to something more complex (e.g., a corrupted C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder). If you're going that route I'd suggest you create a new topic in the Browsers & Mail board or post over in bleepingcomputer's Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications board and get some proper guidance for the best way to perform a clean reinstall of IE9 on a 64-bit Vista SP2 machine.

A few things to consider first, though, before you waste too much time on this. With extended support for Vista SP2 ending on 11-Apr-2017, have you considered upgrading to Win 7 SP1 or purchasing a refurbished Win 7 SP1 or new Win 10 machine? I went through my notes and found another user 64-bit Vista SP2 user, chrisupi007, who encountered this 9C48 error with the IE9 Update Version 9.0.34 / KB3008923 (64-bit IE9 only, 32-bit IE9 worked fine) - see my post # 159 in the bleepingcomputer thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates". He got so fed up trying to fix his Vista SP2 problems he eventually purchased a legal copy of 64-bit Win 7 online and upgraded his OS to squeeze out three additional years of security updates for his machine.

My other concern is that IE9 is not a safe choice for a default browser. Microsoft will be releasing monthly security updates for IE9 until April 2017 but this browser has not supported newer (and safer) Transport Layer Security protocols like TLS 1.1 and 1.2 for connecting to secure https sites for several years. When I browse to the Qualys SSL Labs test page at https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html with IE9 I am warned that my browser will connect to https sites using older, insecure protocols and that it does not support the latest TLS protocols. I only use IE9 for testing purposes (e.g., when a download or some other functionality doesn't work in my Firefox browser) and only when necessary - my bank won't even allow me log into their website with IE9.

Qualys IE9 Browser Protocol Analysis.jpg

Google stopped releasing security updates for Chrome on the XP and Vista in April 2016 (see their blog entry Updates to Chrome Platform Support) but Mozilla Firefox is still fully supported for both these OS and supports TLS 1.2. In March 2017 Mozilla plans to automatically move Win XP SP3 and Vista SP2 users to their Extended Support Release (ESR) version of Firefox 52 (i.e., no new features but continued security patches), so if you switch now to Firefox you should be secure until September 2017 and possibly into early 2018. From the Mozilla support article Important - Firefox is Ending Support for Windows XP and Vista:

"Firefox security updates for XP and Vista users will continue until September 2017, although new features will not be offered. In mid-2017, a final support end date will be announced based on the number of users still on Windows XP and Vista."
------------

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Hi NYCNY:

Did you try launching the 64-bit version of IE9 from your Windows Start button as I suggested in post # 22 to see if you have at least one IE9 browser that's updating correctly?

Re-installing IE9 might be faster than trying to track down the cause of your 9C48 error. I did a bit of searching and the solution can be ridiculously easy (one user found this error disappeared when they logged in to Windows with a user account that had Administrator rights) to something more complex (e.g., a corrupted C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder). If you're going that route I'd suggest you create a new topic in the Browsers & Mail board or post over in bleepingcomputer's Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications board and get some proper guidance for the best way to perform a clean reinstall of IE9 on a 64-bit Vista SP2 machine.

A few things to consider first, though, before you waste too much time on this. With extended support for Vista SP2 ending on 11-Apr-2017, have you considered upgrading to Win 7 SP1 or purchasing a refurbished Win 7 SP1 or new Win 10 machine? I went through my notes and found another user 64-bit Vista SP2 user, chrisupi007, who encountered this 9C48 error with the IE9 Update Version 9.0.34 / KB3008923 (64-bit IE9 only, 32-bit IE9 worked fine) - see my post # 159 in the bleepingcomputer thread Windows Vista Update Hangs at "Checking For Updates". He got so fed up trying to fix his Vista SP2 problems he eventually purchased a legal copy of 64-bit Win 7 online and upgraded his OS to squeeze out three additional years of security updates for his machine.

My other concern is that IE9 is not a safe choice for a default browser. Microsoft will be releasing monthly security updates for IE9 until April 2017 but this browser has not supported newer (and safer) Transport Layer Security protocols like TLS 1.2 for connecting to secure https sites for a few years. When I browse to the Qualys SSL Labs test page at https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html with IE9 I am warned that my browser supports the old, insecure SSL protocols but does not support newer TLS protocols. I only use IE9 for testing purposes (e.g., when a download or some other functionality doesn't work in my Firefox browser) and only when necessary - my bank won't even allow me log into their website any more with IE9.

View attachment 29474

Google stopped releasing security updates for Chrome on the XP and Vista in April 2016 (see their blog entry Updates to Chrome Platform Support) but Mozilla Firefox is still fully supported and supports TLS 1.2 for both these OS. In March 2017 Mozilla plans to automatically move Win XP SP3 and Vista SP2 users to their Extended Support Release (ESR) version of Firefox 52 (i.e., no new features but continued security patches), so if you switch now to Firefox you should be secure until September 2017 and possibly into early 2018. From the Mozilla support article Important - Firefox is Ending Support for Windows XP and Vista:

"Firefox security updates for XP and Vista users will continue until September 2017, although new features will not be offered. In mid-2017, a final support end date will be announced based on the number of users still on Windows XP and Vista."
------------

Thanks for this info. I assume you just mean to launch the 64 bit option using start, all programs, then that option in the menu - if so, yes that is what I did to open and where I see the about as KB982861

Unfortunately for a few of my units they have to stay at XP or Vista, as we have older legacy hardware for work that is ONLY compatible with these OS's. We have to keep at least 2 units (and possibly more depending on how much demand) there ends up being. However, the plan is to get everything as secure as possible, then keep the wireless/internet function turned off for most of the time unless it's absolutely necessary which won't be too often. The hardware does not need a connection to work. They also won't use IE at all, if that helps. Luckily the newer hardware is Win 7 compatible so most of the units we have are on that, but the older ones are too expensive and profitable that it's worth the hassle, at least for now.

So theoretically I suppose I could uninstall IE completely and just leave it at that, but I'm one of those people that can't take the easy way out, and needs to "fix" everything :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    dv4-1435dx

Ok with a fresh mind I'm considering just hiding that one update, deleting IE9 and using Firefox when necessary. Spent about an hour on other threads/sites working to try and uninstall IE9 and while there are 5-6 options to do so, not one worked! Short of doing a full reinstall and ending up back where I was before with the updates checking issue I'm not sure there's much I can do, and I don't think this will affect the intended use for the unit.

I'm sure there's a reason, but why on earth is IE9 not just a simple entry in add/remove that you can click to fully uninstall? Literally not going anywhere unless I do a full wipe (command prompt didn't remove it which is supposed to be the fix for this..)

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    dv4-1435dx

Working with Vista Home Premium 64 bit on a freshly restored dv4-1435dx (received it with SP1 and applicable updates). All was working fine at that point as far as updating. I ended up with a manual update of SP2 as it would not auto update...

....Unfortunately for a few of my units they have to stay at XP or Vista, as we have older legacy hardware for work that is ONLY compatible with these OS's. We have to keep at least 2 units (and possibly more depending on how much demand) there ends up being.

Hi NYCNY:

It still seems odd to me how a RTM version of IE9 got installed on your computer if you started with a machine with SP1. As far as I know Windows Update should have eventually upgraded you the same IE9 version available at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-9-details.aspx.

Re-installing IE9 might be your best bet (which is not a straighforward process as you discovered since the IE9 browser is so closely integrated with the Vista OS), but if this is a mission-critical legacy system for a business you might still want to consider starting from scratch and performing a clean reinstall of Vista SP2 or restoring your system to the factory installation using the HP Recovery Manager utility - assuming you are able to re-install all your important third-party software once Windows is up-to-date. Once you've installed SP1 and SP2 (forum admin Brink has posted download links for both SP1 and SP2 service packs in threads pinned at the top of this Windows Update board) and updated your hardware drivers for your dv4-1435dx (see the support page <here> for the latest versions for 64-bit Vista certified by HP) the "Checking for updates" hangs and slow Windows Updates will return, but the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum should bring you up-to-date.
------------

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Hi NYCNY:

It still seems odd to me how a RTM version of IE9 got installed on your computer if you started with a machine with SP1. As far as I know Windows Update should have eventually upgraded you the same IE9 version available at Access Denied.

Re-installing IE9 might be your best bet, but if this is a mission-critical legacy system for a business, you might want to consider starting from scratch and performing a clean reinstall of Vista SP2 or restoring your system to the factory installation using the HP Recovery Manager utility - assuming you are able to re-install all your important third-party software once Windows is up-to-date. Once you've installed SP1 and SP2 (forum admin Brink has posted download links for both SP1 and SP2 service packs in threads pinned at the top of this Windows Update board) and updated your hardware drivers for your dv4-1435dx (see the support page <here> for the latest versions for 64-bit Vista certified by HP) the "Checking for updates" hangs and slow Windows Updates will return, but the step-by-step instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum should bring you up-to-date.
------------

I agree, no idea how windows update put that version on, unless I was missing some other updates or did something out of order that might have caused that?

I was considering a fresh install, however -- very afraid with a clean install I will go back to before this checking for updates mess which took 1-2 days to fix and still not sure what fixed it. I don't have anything on the laptop as we just got it, and it's only going to be running one piece of equipment / one program, that doesn't need the internet 95% of the time. So it's not absolutely cruicial that this gets fixed, as long as it's not causing any serious issue which it seems like it won't. I need to learn how to pick my battles with these laptops :)

Also, when I ran the command prompt uninstaller ("FORFILES...that one) it said ERROR: Files of type "Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*mum" not found. But IE seems to be there and looks ok when I run it....I am guessing this means its just corrupt somewhere? Which is why it's unable to be removed?

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    dv4-1435dx

Ahh, last ditch effort I cleaned the registry with ASC pro (I know, I know) and restarted; strangely the update then STARTED INSTALLING and got all the way to 99% - I was holding my breath but at the last second it failed with the same error again lol! I wonder why it even made it further this time...so weird.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    dv4-1435dx

Also, when I ran the command prompt uninstaller ("FORFILES...that one) it said ERROR: Files of type "Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*9.*mum" not found. But IE seems to be there and looks ok when I run it....I am guessing this means its just corrupt somewhere? Which is why it's unable to be removed?

Hi NYCNY:

Sorry, I've never had to re-install IE9 on a 64-bit Vista SP2 computer so I'm not the best person to be giving advice. What I can tell you is that if I search the installed updates (Control Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates) on my 32-bit Vista SP2 machine for the string "Internet Explorer" I can see an entry for Windows Internet Explorer 9 from 19-May-2011, and the Uninstall button appears if I select this update.

IE9 Installed Updates 19 May 2011.jpg

My Windows Update history (Control Panel | System and Maintenance | Windows Update | View Update History) also confirms that Windows Internet Explorer 9 for Vista was installed by Windows Update on 19-May-2011. There is no KB number for this update, and I suspect this is the update throwing 9C48 error on your machine (although I have no idea why Windows Update is presenting it as an Optional update unless it sees you already have the RTM version installed).

IE9 Windows Update History 19 May 2011.png

This is a bit of a stretch, but does it make any difference if you reset your IE9 browser (Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab | Reset Internet Explorer Settings | Reset button)? Just note that you'll lose all your customized browser settings if you do this.
------------

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

I have no explorer entry in the "uninstall an update" list at all. Not even 7 from before, nothing. Strange. I do see it in the list of updates themselves, on the day it installed. There is pretty much no way to remove it or clean it up short of doing a clean install. Wish that updater / fixer tool worked on Vista!

Reset IE and ran update again, same thing - one optional update found, same error when installing :(

Im curious why the command prompt results in saying file not found.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    dv4-1435dx

Just restarted and saw this for 2-3 minutes. Is this from the IE reset?

IMG_1977.JPG

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    dv4-1435dx

Hi NYCNY:

I've reset my IE9 browser before and don't recall seeing that pop-up but yes, it's likely associated with the reset. According to Process Library "iedkcs32.dll is used by Microsoft Internet Explorer during user personalization processes".

Many of the problems you've observed could point to corrupted registry entries for your IE9 browser. That why I suggested in post # 25 that you might want to start a new thread in the over in bleepingcomputer's Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications board and see if someone with more experience in this area has a suggestion.

I have no explorer entry in the "uninstall an update" list at all. Not even 7 from before, nothing. Strange. I do see it in the list of updates themselves, on the day it installed. There is pretty much no way to remove it or clean it up short of doing a clean install. Wish that updater / fixer tool worked on Vista!

If your issue is related to a corrupted C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder or some other Windows Update component, see my comments in post # 6 of moxol's thread Microsoft Fix It Windows Update Troubleshooter about MS CheckSUR (also known as the System Update Readiness Tool or DISM/SURT). There is also a script posted on MS TechNet for resetting Windows Update components at Script Reset Windows Update Agent that should work for Vista SP2 but I've never run either of these tools myself and won't be able to help if you run into problems. I can speak from personal experience that if the read/write/edit delete permissions for some of your folders and registry entries are damaged then things can quickly go from bad to worse if you try to reset your Windows Update components after the SYSTEM and/or ADMINISTRATOR user group has lost read/write access to corrupted folders or registry entries.

Before you go any further, I'd suggest you run Check Disk (chkdsk) from an elevated command prompt with Administrator rights (i.e., click on the Windows Start button, enter cmd in the search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and select Run as Administrator). Use the chkdsk /r command to run a thorough scan that will attempt a recovery of bad sectors in case you've corrupted files by writing into a bad sector on your hard drive. A thorough Check Disk can take a few hours to run to completion.

Then run System File Checker (scf) from an elevated command prompt to check the integrity of your system files. You can use the sfc /verifyonly command (diagnostic mode) and if it finds any problems you can move on to sfc /scannow (repair mode). If you see an error message try running SFC from an elevated command prompt after after booting into Safe Mode (i.e., restart your computer, repeatedly tap F8 before the Windows logo appears and select Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the Advanced Boot Options menu).
------------

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Hi NYCNY:

I've reset my IE9 browser before and don't recall seeing that pop-up but yes, it's likely associated with the reset. According to Process Library "iedkcs32.dll is used by Microsoft Internet Explorer during user personalization processes".

Many of the problems you've observed could point to corrupted registry entries for your IE9 browser. That why I suggested in post # 25 that you might want to start a new thread in the over in bleepingcomputer's Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications board and see if someone with more experience in this area has a suggestion.

If your issue is related to a corrupted C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder or some other Windows Update component, see my comments in post # 6 of moxol's thread Microsoft Fix It Windows Update Troubleshooter about MS CheckSUR (also known as the System Update Readiness Tool or DISM/SURT). There is also a script posted on MS TechNet for resetting Windows Update components at Script Reset Windows Update Agent that should work for Vista SP2 but I've never run either of these tools myself and won't be able to help if you run into problems. I can speak from personal experience that if the read/write/edit delete permissions for some of your folders and registry entries are damaged then things can quickly go from bad to worse if you try to reset your Windows Update components after the SYSTEM and/or ADMINISTRATOR user group has lost read/write access to corrupted folders or registry entries.

Before you go any further, I'd suggest you run Check Disk (chkdsk) from an elevated command prompt with Administrator rights (i.e., click on the Windows Start button, enter cmd in the search box, right-click on cmd.exe, and select Run as Administrator). Use the chkdsk /r command to run a thorough scan that will attempt a recovery of bad sectors in case you've corrupted files by writing into a bad sector on your hard drive. A thorough Check Disk can take a few hours to run to completion.

Then run System File Checker (scf) from an elevated command prompt to check the integrity of your system files. You can use the sfc /verifyonly command (diagnostic mode) and if it finds any problems you can move on to sfc /scannow (repair mode). If you see an error message try running SFC from an elevated command prompt after after booting into Safe Mode (i.e., restart your computer, repeatedly tap F8 before the Windows logo appears and select Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the Advanced Boot Options menu).
------------

Thanks - I will do those checks and leave it for a while and report back

I did actually use the SURT which I believe helped as pretty soon after that, I was able to install updates and the checking for updates loop was corrected....if I ran it once, is there any reason to run it again?

The script sounds like it may not be worth the risk, as the rest of the laptop is fully updated and running well for my needs - so will avoid that one :)

Again thanks for the help - much appreciated, as just googling randomly brings up so much info and details and instructions I was about to throw the laptop out the window! I will say though for a cheap older laptop on Vista, it runs quite well - hopefully this is just a minor blip I can hide and ignore and won't ever have to revisit again. It's just my own persistance with wanting to "fix" something that is making me go on and on....

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    dv4-1435dx

I did actually use the SURT which I believe helped as pretty soon after that, I was able to install updates and the checking for updates loop was corrected....if I ran it once, is there any reason to run it again?

Hi NYCNY:

I wouldn't bother running MS CheckSUR (SURT) again unless Windows Update is throwing an error code (i.e., other than the 9C48 error that seems to be associated with one specific update for IE9). Back in 2011 I had a problem with Windows Update repeatedly throwing a 0x8DDD0002 error and was advised to run the MS FixIT tool to reset my Windows Update components (this was back in the days when when this tool was still supported on Vista SP2 :)). At the time I didn't know that 0x8DDD0002 was related to a permissions problem with C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and the MS FixIT tool just created a whole new set of problems with my registry that took me ages to track down and fix.
------------

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Hi lmacri --

A bit of an interesting (and ironic) update! So - after ALL THAT - turns out I completely forgot I needed Vista 32 bit for my hardware - and I was working on 64 the entire time :) SIGH...But---

Joy of all joys I happened to have a set of recovery discs for a very similar machine that was 32 bit - ran those, worked like a charm, and the 200 or so updates started and FINISHED perfectly with zero issues, including SP 2! I have the last bit running now (didn't check IE yet, but already put FF on and deleted the IE icon :) Hardware is working perfectly and the entire unit seems to be running better now than when I got it (even though previous owner had done a restore too.)

I fully expected the same update drama as before, but I guess the discs I had were newer versions and had what I needed to get it done smoothly. So for now, I have a cleaned, updated, smooth running Vista 32 machine + our hardware and could not be happier :)

Thanks again for all your help, I'm sure I will refer back to this thread in the future if I get any more Vista machines :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    dv4-1435dx

Hi NYCNY:

Just glad to hear you're up and running again.

I'm not sure how old your recovery disks are, but just a heads up that the "Checking for updates..." hangs and slow Windows Updates reappear every Patch Tuesday (the second Tuesday of the month) on most Vista SP2 machines. The "solution" posted on page 1 of m#l's thread m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours is only a temporary workaround and users often have to pre-install a new Windows kernel-mode driver (Win32K.sys) update each Patch Tuesday to speed up Windows Update and install available security updates.

If you aren't certain if your 32-bit Vista SP2 machine is fully patched just follow my instructions in post # 18 and confirm that security update KB3216775 (MS17-004: Description of the security update for Local Security Authority Subsystem Service: January 10, 2017) is installed on your system.

If you launch IE9 manually from C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe then Help | About Internet Explorer should also show that your have the latest Update Version 9.0.57 (KB3203621) as discussed in post # 15.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v51.0.1 * NIS v22.9.0.71 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

I saw your response and wanted to mention that my version of IE 9 is 9.0.81152.16421 based on update 9.0.54 (KB3185319).

I haven't solved my updating problem yet but I'm working on it.

I have the original Microsoft Fix-it (which has been replaced by easy fix) and ran the Windows Update portion. It fixed some things but the ultimate result that it couldn't fix is that the "service registration is corrupt or missing." I found some solutions to that and am working on them now.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps

I saw your response and wanted to mention that my version of IE 9 is 9.0.81152.16421 based on update 9.0.54 (KB3185319).

Hi wither 3:

If your IE9 Update Version is 9.0.54 / KB3185319 (MS16-104: Security update for Internet Explorer: September 13, 2016) then it's likely that your Windows Updates haven't run successfully since September 2016.

If the workaround on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum doesn't get Windows Update working again I'd suggest you start a new thread in this board so you don't take NYCNY's thread off topic.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v51.0.1 * NIS v22.9.0.71 * MBAM Premium v2.2.1

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM