Auto Update today killed my mouse

trkevig

Left for work this morning and all was fine. came home and saw my pc had rebooted. Then i noticed there was no mouse pointer...... a few keyboard shortcuts later and i had a desktop. Windows told me it had installed some automatic updates and restarted my pc. Now there is no mouse pointer and when i remove and re-insert my mouse windows trys to install it then fails telling me the following:

"windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.
HID-compliant device

An error occured during the instalation of the device.

The driver instalation file for this device is missing a necesary entry. This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your hardware vendor.

If you know the manufactor of your device, you can visit its website and check the support section for driver software."

This is a joke!! A mouse is fundamentally the most important thing outside the box a pc needs to work as its meant to.... I have tried 3 mice - all usb - my logitech mx laser, a microsoft optical 2 button wheel mouse, and some other unmarked 2 button mouse and ALL come up with this error. I really wish MS would fully test their updates before releasing them - especially with auto updates happening nowadays.

Has anyone got any ideas how i can fix this problem please? I have Vista Ultimate x64 OEM - genuine and fully updated.

Thanks in advance.

My Computer

UPDATE:

ive just installed the 64 bit vista drivers from logitech and the mouse still has no pointer and doesnt move ( taskbar doesnt come up when mouse pulled to bottom of screen). When i check the mouse properties in device manager it is an "unknown device", however when i tell it to update the driver and point it to the logitech directory it tells me the best driver is already installed - the logitech driver !!!! so if it knows what it is, then why is it still unknown?????

Luckily i have a dula boot with xp pro... so, once again ive to hold my vista and revert back to xp untill ms supply a fix for this.....

somebody please help!!

thanks again.

My Computer

I had the same updates last night and my trackball, made for Windows 98, still works great. Most likely the updates got corrupted. Go into Windows Update and roll back the updates and see if you can't download them again correctly this time around.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Velocity Micro, HP Pavillion
    CPU
    Intel 2 Quad Core Q9400, AMD Athlon 64 x2 4400+
    Memory
    8 GBs DDR3, 4 GB DDR2 PC5300 (667 MHZ)
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVIDIA GTS 250 (over clocked), nVIDIA 6150SE n430
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w1907
    PSU
    440 Watts
    Case
    Velocity Micro
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Trackman Marble ++
    Internet Speed
    2 mbps
Sorry to steal your thread, but I've run into the exact same problem right down to having XP Pro installed as a dual boot system. Weird. The only difference, though, is that I'm running Ultimate 32bit.

I've tried multiple mice and reinstalled my drivers but no luck. I also even had the idea of using system restore to go back to before I installed the updates but, apparently, I don't have any restore points.

I also tried going to Windows Update to remove the previous updates but, for some reason I can't figure out, Update refuses to see that I've installed any updates ever.

To further complicate matters, I've even tried to repair my installation from my the disc. That loads up fine (with mouse recognition) and is unable to find any errors when I try to repair it.

Have any ideas? Thanks.

My Computer

Vista 64ultimate did the same to my computer. Same exact issue except i tried PS2 mouse, i tried USB mouse with wire made by MSFT, tried wireless mouse with USB by MSFT also treid USB Bluetooth Wireless mouse by MSFT.

I tried Trackball mouse by Msft.
and lastly tried Logitech mouse.

In every single case, from ps2 to USB to Bluetooth, none of the devices work.

I then did a system restore to get back to prior to the update, and reinstall the update. Repeat this process 3times and getting the identical problem.

At the end, i select do not automatically update, and roll back with system restore and stayed away from this last update which is a complete flop.

My Computer

Ive got mine working now. I cleaned out all my programs i dont use thru the add/remove programs. Took out alot, but i think it was when i removed firefox that the mouse pointer came back... cant really remember what other programs i took out but about 8 in total. I did not try to restore back to a previous day or uninstall the updates. Everything working fine now and vista still got all the updates.

My Computer

I've partially resolved my issues. I tracked the problem down to update KB938371. Sadly, thats not uninstallable but there is a workaround. You'll need to go to Device Manager. From there, find the unknown device that is your mouse. You should then be able to reinstall drivers. From there, select browse. Point Windows to C:\windows\winsxs.

That fixed my woes, hopefully yours too.

My Computer

I am getting exactly the same error message's as you guys BUT NOTHING WORKS. I tried going to device manager and reinstalling the drivers , but I get the message "the best driver is allready installed"...CAN ANYONE HELP ? please or does anyone have any ideas? i spoke to Microsoft for 3 hours they dont have a clue, I tried uninstalling KB938371 it wont uninstall
I cant do a restore dont have any points ,,,so I just dont have a working mouse now...

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

I finally fixed it it seems microsoft wet ahead with their SP! and wiped out the drivers for the mouse. I downloaded a new set of drivers from logitech and went to control panel-hardware-device manger- noncompliant hid- than I did a search for drivers ...non found . After that i went to browse on my computer in winsxs, and installed the. I was on the phone with Microsoft for two hours today they have no clue on whats gping on.

My Computer

I am getting exactly the same error message's as you guys BUT NOTHING WORKS. I tried going to device manager and reinstalling the drivers , but I get the message "the best driver is allready installed"...CAN ANYONE HELP ? please or does anyone have any ideas? i spoke to Microsoft for 3 hours they dont have a clue, I tried uninstalling KB938371 it wont uninstall
I cant do a restore dont have any points ,,,so I just dont have a working mouse now...
Hello eyeball,
You said " I can't do a restore don't have any points--". Please list the steps you took trying to do a system restore. I have trouble understanding " don't have any points ".
Perhaps, I'll list my steps, and you can compare that with yours. We might have a discrepency there. FIRST, shut off internet connection, you don't want auto update mess around untill you've solve the problem.
I'll skip the first few steps and come straight to System Restore window.You'll see 2 headings, click CHOOSE A DIFFERENT RESTORE POINT,(a blue dot will appear), click NEXT,you'll see a list of activities under DESCRIPTION, if there are only 5 of them, click SHOW RESTORE POINTS OLDER THAN 5 days. Each activity has a date attached. Find the date prior the installation of KB938371, highlight that date,click NEXT, click Finish.
Now see if the mouse is back in business, if still no, the culprit is not KB938371.

My Computer

Hello eyeball,
You said " I can't do a restore don't have any points--". Please list the steps you took trying to do a system restore. I have trouble understanding " don't have any points ".
Perhaps, I'll list my steps, and you can compare that with yours. We might have a discrepency there. FIRST, shut off internet connection, you don't want auto update mess around untill you've solve the problem.
I'll skip the first few steps and come straight to System Restore window.You'll see 2 headings, click CHOOSE A DIFFERENT RESTORE POINT,(a blue dot will appear), click NEXT,you'll see a list of activities under DESCRIPTION, if there are only 5 of them, click SHOW RESTORE POINTS OLDER THAN 5 days. Each activity has a date attached. Find the date prior the installation of KB938371, highlight that date,click NEXT, click Finish.
Now see if the mouse is back in business, if still no, the culprit is not KB938371.

I followed your instructions exactly accept there is nothing that says "show restore points older than 5 days"..thats the problem

My Computer

Hello eyeball,

I followed your instructions exactly accept there is nothing that says "show restore points older than 5 days"..thats the problem

Hello eyeball,
With my limited knowledge, I can only deduce that your OS C drive is seriously out of room. Go to Computer, see how many bytes left available.

My Computer

got the same problem

resolve by installing windows vista service pack 1. after installing sp1, reinstall the mouse driver.

i hope it works for you as it works for me

My Computer

got the same problem

resolve by installing windows vista service pack 1. after installing sp1, reinstall the mouse driver.

i hope it works for you as it works for me
Hello rotaboy,
Did you install the standalone SP1 ? How long did it take? Last time I read the Sp1 info issued by Microsoft, it said 434MB, 17hr. 40 min. That's right ?

My Computer

What works is
1. UNINSTALL SP1
2. Reinstall SP1
3. Downlaod NEW Drivers
4. reinstall drivers

I have been in contact wih Microsoft for a week they have no clue on how to fix this.

I hat to say this but really think ogf getting a mac next time, you should not have to send 20 hours trying to fix ther mistake.

My Computer

17hr. 40 min is the download time for 434MB installer if you are on a dial up connection. If you are on high speed connection, you can get it in an hour or less. After you complete the download, installation would take an hour or more.

You can download windows vista sp1 from Microsoft download center.

My Computer

Having the same problem here but I can't seem to make it point to C:\windows\winsxs everytime I do it just claims the logitech is the better one. I am currently able to use a non-wireless usb mouse and my keyboard which works off the same reciever as the mouse works. I don't seem to have any restore points (I thought I made some but I guess not will definitely start making them now). I can't use my keyboard at startup so I can't get into my Linux partition making either which is causing issues. Is my only option to reinstall?

My Computer

Windows should have made a rEstore point before the update . It doesn thave one? Check the dates of the restore points
If not let me know ..I had the same problem with my computer it kept saying "the best drivers are allreADY INSTALLED" I spent 3 days looking for a fix

My Computer

Having the same problem here but I can't seem to make it point to C:\windows\winsxs everytime I do it just claims the logitech is the better one. I am currently able to use a non-wireless usb mouse and my keyboard which works off the same reciever as the mouse works. I don't seem to have any restore points (I thought I made some but I guess not will definitely start making them now). I can't use my keyboard at startup so I can't get into my Linux partition making either which is causing issues. Is my only option to reinstall?

Windows should have made a rEstore point before the update . It doesn thave one? Check the dates of the restore points
If not let me know ..I had the same problem with my computer it kept saying "the best drivers are allreADY INSTALLED" I spent 3 days looking for a fix
OK, slow down guys. Are you using wireless mice, or keyboard, or both ?
Stvchester,
You don't really need to "make" a restore point. The idea of "making" a restore point is simply a marker to remind you that particular day was a "good" day, and so you don't have to look elsewhere for a good restore point. However, when you are on the "Choose a restore point" window, you'll see a list of activities (description) each of which is affixed with a date. Those are your choices of restore points. Of course, you have to remember which date(s) were good days. That's why we "make" a restore point, so there will be no second guessing. Also, if the window shows only 5 days of activities, go further down and click the box that says " show restore points older than 5 days ", and you have more to choose from. OK ?

My Computer

Normally I am using a wireless keyboard and mouse (Mx3200 from logitech) I am using a usb mouse right now with my wireless keyboard because the wireless one that came with the pack doesn't seem to work right now. I've attached a screen shot of what happens when I try to use restore from a restore point.

Thanks again

-Steve

Attachments

• noRestore.jpg
    noRestore.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 34

My Computer

Back