Black screen with mouse cursor

ZK99

I have a laptop with Vista Home Premium 32-bit. I was using chkdisk and now it will not boot anymore. It only goes so far as to have a black screen and a mouse cursor. If I leave it like that it will eventually reboot and then comes back to the black screen with the mouse cursor. I was wondering if it is possible to repair my system without reinstalling the entire operating system. I don't have a CD or DVD, just a recovery partition.

My Computer

Welcome
It sounds like you may have a hard drive problem. Can you boot in safe mode?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
You can restore the computer but ensure that all data is backed up, also make sure that you run the built-in Diagnostics to check if hardware is running fine.

My Computer

Hi ZK99,

As richc46 mentioned boot to safe mode and check if you are able to login to safe mode.

If yes, then try to clean boot to check if would work, providing the link to do a clean boot for reference: How to perform a clean boot to troubleshoot a problem in Windows Vista or Windows 7

If no, run the built-in diagnostics provided by the manufacturer on the computer to check if the hard drive is working fine.

Please post back with the results.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-4100
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 5450
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps
I'm going to hijack this post if that's alright.

I'm also having a black screen w/cursor problem. It seems to occur after updating the "Update for Windows Vista (KB27-----)" files. There are 4 of them and all of them cause this problem. Safe mode boots the same way as well. The only option I've found to get things working again is to just restore my computer from before I've updated.

Any solutions at all?

Cheers guys,
Andrew.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-4100
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 5450
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps
Hey thanks for the reply. I have once done the statup repair. I think it said there were no errors or something like that.

I think I will just hide the updates. I didn't know you could do that. Thank you for your help.

I've read a lot of people having the black screen issue. What has caused this for people in the past?

Thanks again,
Andrew.

My Computer

Hi ehjay,

The blinking cursor when the computer starts can happen due to many reasons; one of them could be that updates might cause instability to the Operating System.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-4100
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 5450