Brightness key not working.

Yeah, i understand. I just find it absurd how finding some drivers is so difficult. I just noticed that post #16 was missing a link so i edited it. Thanks very much for all the assistance Imacri Sir.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    • Intel® Core™ i5-4210U Processor @ 1.70 GHz.
    Motherboard
    ^3M Cache, up to 2.70GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
Yeah, i understand. I just find it absurd how finding some drivers is so difficult.

What's absurd is that they only put install images on the hard drives and not provide a CD/DVD which would be useful in your case. I guess that they are trying to save a few pennies and have room for more bloatware.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-250f
    CPU
    Intel i7 860 Quad core 2.8 ghz
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5770 1 gb ram
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-250f/
  • Operating System
    Windows 2012 R2 Data center/Linux Mint
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    i3 9100 3.6GHz, 8M cache, 4C/4T
    Memory
    8GB 2666MT/s DDR4 ECC UDIMM
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
    https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/productdetailstxn/poweredge-t140?~ck=bt
Hi rustedmetal:

Sorry, I wasn't aware that you had installed a new hard drive in your computer before reinstalling your OS. In that case, most of what I've posted in would not be relevant to your situation. Unless Best Buy has Vista-compatible copies of all your missing Sony software and hardware drivers (which seems doubtful) then I have no idea how you can get your F5/F6 + Fn brightness keys working again.

You'll have to decide for yourself how much time (and money) you want to spend trying to fix these function keys if the workaround to use the Windows logo key + X key combination isn't an acceptable solution.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * SUMo Free Portable v5.11.1.460
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
I got a copy of supposed original recovery DVDs for my specific laptop from RestoreCD4U and before i go on ahead and restore the system I want to make sure about something. So on your post #15 you mentioned that i will have to add SHA-2 support manually with the help of your new thread? So after doing so all the updates will still download normally by following "Updates not working..." thread? Thank you so much.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
I got a copy of supposed original recovery DVDs for my specific laptop from RestoreCD4U and before i go on ahead and restore the system I want to make sure about something. So on your post #15 you mentioned that i will have to add SHA-2 support manually with the help of your new thread? So after doing so all the updates will still download normally by following "Updates not working..." thread?

Hi rustedmetal:

That's what I was hoping, but according to Vistaar's 29-Jul-2020 post in Only2's thread Problem After Installing Update Agent 7.6.7600.256, applying the Windows Server 2008 patches to add SHA-2 code-signing support to Vista SP2 would change the OS build to 6.0.6003.xxxxx and break Windows Update, so that workaround isn't going to fix the current Windows Update errors that started on 03-Aug-2020 when Microsoft deactivated Windows Update for Win XP and Vista per their announcement Windows Update SHA-1 Based Endpoints Discontinued for Older Windows Devices.

I added a section titled ***** IMPORTANT NOTICE as of August 3, 2020 ***** to my instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours a few days ago to warn users about this. As far as I know, there is no way to get Windows Update working again on a Vista SP2 machine, so I'd strongly advise against performing any reset to factory condition or clean reinstall of Vista SP2 for the time being. I'm monitoring a few threads in the MSFN Vista board and it's possible that someone who had the foresight to archive all the standalone (.msu) installers for the ~200 or so Vista SP2 updates released between Service Pack 2 (May 2009) and end of Vista SP2 extended support (April 2017) will eventually provide a link to their private archive along with a batch file that will automatically apply any missing updates, even if Windows Update is broken.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * SUMo Free Portable v5.11.1.460
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
Hi rustedmetal:

That's what I was hoping, but according to Vistaar's 29-Jul-2020 post in Only2's thread Problem After Installing Update Agent 7.6.7600.256, applying the Windows Server 2008 patches to add SHA-2 code-signing support to Vista SP2 would change the OS build to 6.0.6003.xxxxx and break Windows Update, so that workaround isn't going to fix the current Windows Update errors that started on 03-Aug-2020 when Microsoft deactivated Windows Update for Win XP and Vista per their announcement Windows Update SHA-1 Based Endpoints Discontinued for Older Windows Devices.

I added a section titled ***** IMPORTANT NOTICE as of August 3, 2020 ***** to my instructions on page 1 of m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours a few days ago to warn users about this. As far as I know, there is no way to get Windows Update working again on a Vista SP2 machine, so I'd strongly advise against performing any reset to factory condition or clean reinstall of Vista SP2 for the time being. I'm monitoring a few threads in the MSFN Vista board and it's possible that someone who had the foresight to archive all the standalone (.msu) installers for the ~200 or so Vista SP2 updates released between Service Pack 2 (May 2009) and end of Vista SP2 extended support (April 2017) will eventually provide a link to their private archive along with a batch file that will automatically apply any missing updates, even if Windows Update is broken.
----------
Ok, i'll keep an eye out. Thank you. Wouldn't i be able to save the updates to a different drive and then moved them to the newly restored drive...somehow? It's probably preposterous but just asking.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
... Wouldn't i be able to save the updates to a different drive and then moved them to the newly restored drive...somehow?...

Hi rustedmetal:

See greenhillmaniac's 08-Aug-2020 thread Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+) in the MSFN Vista board. The first post in that thread includes a link to his private repository on the MEGA site that includes all the 32-bit (x86 folder) and 64-bit (x64 folder) updates released before the end of extended support in April 2017 that you can download to your own computer. Post in that thread if you have any questions about batch files / commands you would need to run to apply those .cab files and/or .msu installers for security updates that would be missing from your operating system if you performed another clean reinstall with Ex_Brit's ISO.

Even better, greenhillmaniac has noted that he will be posting instructions soon for creating a slipstreamed ISO image with SP1 and SP2 that I assume will also include all the ~ 200 or so security updates released between SP2 (May 2009) and April 2017. If I understood PIW2's post #3091 on page 155 of the thread Vista ISO Download he's already managed to create a set of fully updated ISOs with those additional updates that can be used for a clean reinstall of Vista SP2 now that Microsoft has deactivated Windows Update for Win XP and Vista.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
Hi rustedmetal:

See greenhillmaniac's 08-Aug-2020 thread Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+) in the MSFN Vista board. The first post in that thread includes a link to his private repository on the MEGA site <here> that includes all the 32-bit (x86 folder) and 64-bit (x64 folder) updates released before the end of extended support in April 2017 that you can download to your own computer. Post in that thread if you have any questions about batch files / commands you would need to run to apply those .cab files and/or .msu installers for security updates that would be missing from your operating system if you performed another clean reinstall with Ex_Brit's ISO.

Even better, greenhillmaniac has noted that he will be posting instructions soon for creating a slipstreamed ISO image with SP1 and SP2 that I assume will also include all the ~ 200 or so security updates released between SP2 (May 2009) and April 2017. If I understood PIW2's post #3091 on page 155 of the thread Vista ISO Download he's already managed to create a set of fully updated ISOs with those additional updates that can be used for a clean reinstall of Vista SP2 now that Microsoft has deactivated Windows Update for Win XP and Vista.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365
Ok, that sounds very good but then there's no point then in following the Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours thread since i can download the updates without changing the OS to 6.0.6003.xxxxx? Sorry this is a bit complicated for me so i'm just trying to understand.

What about this possibility? Let's assume that this CD "Windows XP Home Edition CD SP3 OEM 2009 X15-87773-01 ** NO KEY or COA ** | eBay" which has SP3 was Vista instead of XP, would it be possible to back up/extract the Updates and reinstall them on a fresh Vista OS install that didn't have SP3? ? Would that work?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
... that sounds very good but then there's no point then in following the Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours thread since i can download the updates without changing the OS to 6.0.6003.xxxxx? ...

Hi rustedmetal:

Yes, that's correct. I only suggested you monitor my 16-Jun-2016 post in m#l's thread Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours because I hope to revise the section titled ***** IMPORTANT NOTICE as of August 3, 2020 ***** when I hear of a simple way that Vista SP2 users who need to patch their OS to end of support on 11-Apr-2017 can download and install their missing security updates without using Windows Update. When I revise that post again it will probably include a link to greenhillmaniac's 08-Aug-2020 thread Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+) in the MSFN Vista board.

... What about this possibility? Let's assume that this CD "Windows XP Home Edition CD SP3 OEM 2009 X15-87773-01 ** NO KEY or COA ** | eBay" which has SP3 was Vista instead of XP, would it be possible to back up/extract the Updates and reinstall them on a fresh Vista OS install that didn't have SP3? ? Would that work?

I'm not exactly sure what you're proposing but I don't think that approach would work. That Win XP installation disk on eBay just sounds like a newer OEM installation disk that includes all three Win XP service packs - SP1, SP2 and SP3. If a Win XP user wanted to perform a clean reinstall of their OS but only had an old Win XP installation disk with that included SP1 (or didn't have any installation disk at all), they could purchase that newer installation disk from eBay to perform their clean reinstall and then activate the installation with their Win XP product key. That would save them a few minutes of work because they wouldn't have to manually download and install SP2 and SP3 from the Microsoft Download Center. However, they would still have to run Windows Update to patch their Win XP SP3 OS back to end of support on 08-Apr-2014 (which they can't do as of 03-Aug-2020 since Microsoft deactivated Windows Update for Win XP/Vista per the announcement <here>) or find some other way to manually apply all their missing security updates released between SP3 (April 2008) and end of support (April 2014).

The equivalent installation disk for Vista users would be Ex_Brit's installation ISO that you used for your clean installation. It is slipstreamed with both SP1 and SP2, but it doesn't include the ~ 200 or so security updates released between SP2 (May 2009) and end of support (April 2017). I gather that PIW2's new Vista installation ISO is different in that it contains SP1, SP2, plus all the ~ 200 security updates released as of 11-Apr-2017, so if you used PIW2's ISO to reinstall your OS you would automatically be patched to end of support. Contact PIW2 via a private conversation if you have any questions about their new "fully updated" 32-bit and 64-bit ISOs.

Keep in mind that all these ISOs are installation disks used for reinstalling your operating system - they are not recovery disks (see the AskLeo! article What's the Difference Between a Recovery Disk and an Installation disk?). I don't know if the Sony VGN-CR200 recovery disk you just purchased will allow you to recover all your factory-installed hardware drivers and proprietary Sony software now that your recovery partition no longer exists on your hard drive at D:\. You'd have to read VGN-CR200 support articles like How to Use the VAIO Recovery Center When Started from the Recovery Discs to figure that out. Just be warned that the companion article How to Restore the C: Drive Using the VAIO Recovery Center states that "The option to Reinstall Programs or Drivers is also shown if the VAIO Recovery Center was started from within the operating system." (e.g., by restarting your computer and tapping the F8 or F10 key before Windows is loaded) so I don't think the recovery disk you purchased will be of much use to you now. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

I'm going to step out of this thread now. The original topic was fixing your non-functional Fn + F5/F6 keys to adjust your brightness, which I don't think you can do without finding a way to reinstall the Sony Event Service and other Sony software you lost when you replaced your hard drive and reinstalled Vista using Ex-Brit's ISO. I suggested a simple workaround (Windows logo key + X to bring up the Windows Mobility Center to adjust the brightness) but you said in post # 11 that workaround isn't acceptable to your since your goal is to "have it working normally". You also said in post #11 that you had applied the 4 or 5 required "speed up" patches (standalone .msu installers) after your reinstall with Ex_Brit's ISO and ran Windows Update to install any missing updates released before the end of extended support, so it sounds like your OS is fully patched to 11-Apr-2017. I think you've done an excellent job getting your machine up and running again since replacing your hard drive, and there doesn't really seem to be any other outstanding problem with your computer at this time that requires further troubleshooting on my part.

If you haven't already done so, my only other suggestion would be that you create a full disk image of your hard drive using imaging software like Macrium Reflect Free for emergency recovery in case anything goes wrong in the future. How-To Geek has a good tutorial at How to Create a Full-Disk Backup of Your PC with Macrium Reflect that takes you through each step of creating your first full disk image and emergency rescue media, and how to boot up with your emergency rescue media and re-image your hard drive using a full disk image. I've also posted additional hints about installing Macrium Reflect Free in post # 36 in semiartificial's thread A Request For Advice Regarding Setting Up a Sensible Basic Build With Vista in the BleepingComputer Vista board. Restoring your entire system to an earlier date using a full disk image (which would include all the hardware drivers and third-pary software installed at the time the image was created) should only take about 15 minutes and would be much faster than performing a clean reinstall of your OS and starting from scratch again.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Macrium Reflect Free v7.2.5107

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
OMG PEOPLE! I FINALLY DID IT. I had to resolve to driverscollection.com and drivers.eu and risk downloading from there but it seems to be pretty safe. I spent a long time wasting my time trying to register a snyutils.dll file with zero luck which was a complete waste of time but it was something i tried regardless. I think i'm done with this laptop.....maybe. I'll probably find something else to fix. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
I hope you scanned it with Virus Total first. If not I would go ahead and scan the installer.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    Memory
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
I hope you scanned it with Virus Total first. If not I would go ahead and scan the installer.
There is no installer. i did scan it with Norton and it said they were safe. Would that be enough?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3
Virus Total scans with 70+ engines. I would scan whatever you downloaded with that.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Memory
    8 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Alienware 25 AW2521HF
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 &1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB x2
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Poweredge T140
    CPU
    Memory
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    1 TB & 360 GB x2
    Other Info
Back