Solved Can I change the Default Edit Program in Pictures Context Menu?

sassofalco

What bad, bad,habit?
Vista Guru
This is the Context Menu that I'm referring to, accessed by Start>Pictures>[Open a Folder to display thumbnails], Right-click on Thumbnail.

Default Edit Program.JPG

With my current settings [where?], if I select and click on Edit, MS Windows Paint opens as the Default Editing Program.

I don't like Paint at all, and want to change from that current Default Program, to allow my Pictures to be opened and edited by Picasa. Is there a method by which I can change that Context Menu, so that by clicking on Edit, the selected thumbnail automatically opens in Picasa?

And before anyone leaps in and suggests any other editing program from the plethora of others available [eg. Photoshop etc.], please don't waste your time - I'm not interested in them, as Picasa fulfills all of my basic photo editing requirements.

Basically, I'm looking for a shortcut to open Picasa with just one click, as I'm aware that I can also get there through Open with, in the same Context Menu.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire Notebook 5633WLMi.[5630 Series]
    CPU
    Intel Centrino Duo Processor - Intel Core 2 CPU.
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 [3.07GB maximum real available]
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce Go 7300, 128MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio, Ver. 6.0.1.5717, 2.08MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer Aspire Notebook - 15.4"; Acer LCD Monitor X223Wsd - 22".
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800x60Hertz [max.]
    Hard Drives
    Notebook - Samsung HM320JI 320GB HD installed 07 August 2009.
    External HDs [4];Maxtor One Touch4 - 500GB External HD [Drive M:\].Western Digital WDXMS1200TA - 120GB External HD [Drive G:\ - Windows Defender Backup Files only]. Two x LaCie 320GB Mobi
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless V320 for Notebooks - Model M/N: M-RCD125
    Internet Speed
    Down 20000kb/sec / Up 1000kb/sec [Bigpond-Aus]
    Other Info
    Brother MFC-465CN; PC to Fax/Scan/Copy/Photo MFC. Epson Perfection V300 Photo Scanner. Siemens Speedstream 6520 Router. Wacom 'Bamboo Fun' CTE-650 PC Tablet, Stylus and Mouse. UAC - On;Activated. Browsers; [1] FireFox v3.6[2] IE8. Honorary R.S.M. to the 4th [Assault Pioneer] Troop Pune Sepoys , and 3rd Troop Jodhpur Bengali Lancers.
Hello Tony,

You can use "Open With" with the Always use the selected program to open this kind of program box checked to make Picasa the default program for that type of file extension. Afterwards, it should open Picasa when you use Edit for that file extension next.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69758-default-programs.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
You can set any of your photo programs to automatically open a photo for editing. In your case (using Picasa), do the following:

1. Click "Start"
2. Click "Default Programs
3. Click "Associate A file type or protocol with a program
4. Page down alphabetically and select .jpg, .gif, and any other photo file types.
5. Click "Change Program" for each file type you want to use.
6. Select "Picasa" as your default.
7. Click "Close"

There, that was easy, huh?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Desktop
    CPU
    Intel E2220 Dual 2.40 ghz 2400 mhz 2 core
    Memory
    4gb Ram, 3.87gb physical memory, 7.95gb virtual meory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidea
    Internet Speed
    DSL 1.5
Hello Tony,

You can use "Open With" with the Always use the selected program to open this kind of program box checked to make Picasa the default program for that type of file extension. Afterwards, it should open Picasa when you use Edit for that file extension next.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/69758-default-programs.html

Hope this helps,
Shawn

G'Day Shawn,

....and thanks for getting back. Sorry, but a 'senior' moment led me to omit that I already have Picasa set as my Default Program for all these types of files;

.jpg, .jpe, .crw, .cr2, .der, .kdc, .srf, .jpeg, .img, .tif, .tiff, .bmp, .gif, .png, .tga, and .raw.

A mouse-over of any picture usually shows that it is a 'JPG File', and yet when I click on Edit in the drop-down Context Menu, it defiantly opens up in the dreaded 'Paint'. Beats me.

There is no problem with Picasa opening when either Preview or Open are selected in the same Menu, and obviously, Picasa is one of the associated programs listed in the drop-down Menu that appears at Open with.

I guess that I will need to take more care in my selection from the Context Menu, and just click on either Preview or Open, and then make the move to Picasa Editing.

You may plonk a tick alongside this thread, if that's as much as can be done.....Live some, learn some. So the simple answer to my Thread question is......No!, unless of course someone else comes up with a workable solution.

Cheers Mate,

Tony

You can set any of your photo programs to automatically open a photo for editing. In your case (using Picasa), do the following:

1. Click "Start"
2. Click "Default Programs
3. Click "Associate A file type or protocol with a program
4. Page down alphabetically and select .jpg, .gif, and any other photo file types.
5. Click "Change Program" for each file type you want to use.
6. Select "Picasa" as your default.
7. Click "Close"

There, that was easy, huh?

Yep rhlhamlet,

.....been there, done that, got the T Shirt, and as you can see by the above to Shawn, a click on Edit does not produce the desired results.

Essentially, what I was looking for was a 'tweak' for the Edit line that would take me directly to Picasa Editing, bypassing the Preview or Open stage.

Lazy, huh? But thanks for your input anyway - someone will learn from it all....

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire Notebook 5633WLMi.[5630 Series]
    CPU
    Intel Centrino Duo Processor - Intel Core 2 CPU.
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 [3.07GB maximum real available]
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce Go 7300, 128MB
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio, Ver. 6.0.1.5717, 2.08MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer Aspire Notebook - 15.4"; Acer LCD Monitor X223Wsd - 22".
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800x60Hertz [max.]
    Hard Drives
    Notebook - Samsung HM320JI 320GB HD installed 07 August 2009.
    External HDs [4];Maxtor One Touch4 - 500GB External HD [Drive M:\].Western Digital WDXMS1200TA - 120GB External HD [Drive G:\ - Windows Defender Backup Files only]. Two x LaCie 320GB Mobi
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless V320 for Notebooks - Model M/N: M-RCD125
    Internet Speed
    Down 20000kb/sec / Up 1000kb/sec [Bigpond-Aus]
    Other Info
    Brother MFC-465CN; PC to Fax/Scan/Copy/Photo MFC. Epson Perfection V300 Photo Scanner. Siemens Speedstream 6520 Router. Wacom 'Bamboo Fun' CTE-650 PC Tablet, Stylus and Mouse. UAC - On;Activated. Browsers; [1] FireFox v3.6[2] IE8. Honorary R.S.M. to the 4th [Assault Pioneer] Troop Pune Sepoys , and 3rd Troop Jodhpur Bengali Lancers.
Back