• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Solved Can I remove C:\Windows\winsxs

I really wana free up those 20,000+ files and gain 4gig of hard drive space.

I only use my computer for internet (wireless) and printing...nothing else...please explain about that folder and if i can delete or not

Thanks,
Mike :D

Hmm, yes i've seen that article also. I've been studying this topic for awhile now though. It seems to only affect framework. I do not use framework in any way.

The only things i do on my computer are internet browsing and printing.

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Mike,

This folder holds alot of the .DLL files that Vista needs to operate. Deleting it would be pointless anyway. Vista will just recreate the winsxs folder with the default contents. :sarc:

Have you tried all the other means to free up space on the hard drive?
1. Disk Cleanup: How to Use Disk Cleanup in Vista
2. CCleaner is a great program for cleaning up temp junk. http://ccleaner.com/
2. Uninstall programs that you do not use.
3. etc.....

Shawn

roy69

47,65,65,6B
Vista Guru
Gold Member
4 GIG is not alot of space. Deleteing system directories is not a good idea if you are not sure what they do just to free space.

To clean the harddrive using the built in cleaner,

Click on my computer.
Right click on the C: drive (or whatever drive your system is on)
Click on the Disk Clean up Button.
The rest is straight forward.

Hmm, yes i've seen that article also. I've been studying this topic for awhile now though. It seems to only affect framework. I do not use framework in any way.

Sorry to ask, but why do you have Vista Ultimate then.. lol?

If i remember correctly, a lot of programs use the frame work. Such as internet explorer 7.0

also if you have Vista Ultimate, and you don't like all the neat effects, why didnt you just buy Vista Home Basic? or go back to Windows ME?

I never said i didnt like the effects or anything, i only stated what i used it for. I have deleted the folder and nothing has happened except give me space (not that i need it).

actually, my WinSXS is taking up a lot of space, it's taking 9GB!!! The more updates I throw at the system, the more this thing will expand. Is there a way to size this behemoth down or delete it?

I want my space back!

There's a way, if you have linux installed in the same system with double boot. You just have to boot in Linux, and with a file management tool (I use Dolphin within Kubuntu-64) locate the desired file and delete it. Although it's a little risky to delete files randomly, you can just delete the video and audio files that occupy more than half a Gig and it's totally safe.

I know this thread is old, but it is a related problem.

I have been getting a lot of pop ups, etc recently so, naturally ran a scan to see if I had any problems. I used the AVG Free software, which I have not had any problems with before. I made sure it was fully updated before the scan started.

Twice now I have tried, and each time it has got stuck at the same point. The current object it is trying to scan is located in the location that is the subject of this thread. Specifically it is the x86_wsdapi_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_beb38cd34d56a01d
folder that it is stuck on.

Can anybody help me with my problems?

Thanks,

Lewis

delphin

Eager to learn
Vista Pro
Hi,

We should not randomly delete the files inside winsxs folder because,

The Winsxs folder, stores multiple copies of dll's in order to let multiple applications run in Windows without any compatibility problem. If you browse inside, you will see what look like a lot of duplicate dlls, each having the same name. These are actually, different versions of the same files which are being stored; as different programs may require different versions. In short, Winsxs, which stands for 'Windows Side By Side', is Vista's native assembly cache. Libraries which are being by multiple applications are stored there.

In Vista, there isn't a 'dllcache' folder and nor can you find the 'i386' folder, where the system caches (like in XP) all it's source modules. It is this WinSxS folder which stores the shared components of side-by-side applications. These files can be multiple versions of the same assembly or application. Every side-by-side assembly has a unique identity. One of the attributes of the assembly identity is its version. side-byside assemblies are used by the operating system as fundamental units of naming, binding, versioning, deployment, and configuration. The Winsxs folder includes all manifests, optional components and 3rd party Win32 files.

So obviously you cannot delete this directory or move it elsewhere. Nor is it advisable to delete anything here, as such a step could probably make your applications un-workable or even break your system! If you have many applications installed, you can expect to have a jumbo sized winsxs folder.

If you delete components from the WinSxS folder like the manifets or the assemblies, etc, you could be in trouble. Each system would react differently. What may work for one could break another! For instance, if you install a program that requires that particular assembly, which you may have deleted, then that program will just not run! Compressing the folder is also a no-no, as it could cause problems during WindowsUpdates or while installing a Hotfix

Got it :)

edit: install sp2, it is having a command line toll compcln.exe that will automatically run in backgroung and delete your unwanted restore point and temperory files, and orphaned files inside winsxs directory.
That will free up your space much more :)

Last edited:

Ex_Brit

Older but no wiser
Vista Guru
Gold Member
This is a clear case of the tail wagging the dog. If your physical setup isn't sufficient for the system, get a new one that is or expand it, assuming that's possible.

whs

Vista Guru
Gold Member
deltatux, I am afraid you'll have to live with it. winsxs will grow forever. I have seen it as large as 15GBs. If you delete it, your system will come to a screeching halt immediately. If you delete any part of it, it will come to a screeching halt a little later. If you like to reinstall Vista, that's the way to go.
If you really need more HDD space, buy a second HDD. I am sure there is room in your box for it. You can get 640GBs for a mere $68 ( Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD6400AACS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (bare drive) - Internal Hard Drives ).

Ex_Brit

Older but no wiser
Vista Guru
Gold Member
Look on Vista like Mother Nature. We all know it isn't good to mess with Mother Nature, now don't we?