Memory
    3GB
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD
    Mouse
    logitech
    Internet Speed
    fios 35MB not!!!!
I'm sorry to necro bump this thread but I really have a bone to pick on this topic. I have looked far and wide for a legit response to the winsxs problem only to find the suggestions of: "Get a larger HardDrive they are so cheep!!!" or "Live with it". These are not helpful at all.

I built my system for performance and I plan on peaking that performance in the near future. To that end, I purchased Win Vista 64 Ultimate and now I am going to put 4 32 gb SSDs in a Raid 0. 128 GB of storage is going to be filled up very quickly. I have an external USB 1 TB for my long term storage (music, videos, etc) but just program files, Vista and the Winsxs are going to take up more than 70gb... (I currently have a vista box that has a 15gb winsxs folder...).

So is the conclusion of the community and the devs that Vista is not for performance?

I would like to salute the only response that has done some good. I ran the compcln.exe program on my old box and it removed just over 1gb of data. So instead of over 15gb, my winsxs folder is over 14gb...

I guess my only conclusion is to make an image of a fresh Vista install and every few months overwrite the bloaded winsxs install with the fresh one.

c'est la vie

My Computer

I'm sorry to necro bump this thread but I really have a bone to pick on this topic. I have looked far and wide for a legit response to the winsxs problem only to find the suggestions of: "Get a larger HardDrive they are so cheep!!!" or "Live with it". These are not helpful at all.

I built my system for performance and I plan on peaking that performance in the near future. To that end, I purchased Win Vista 64 Ultimate and now I am going to put 4 32 gb SSDs in a Raid 0. 128 GB of storage is going to be filled up very quickly. I have an external USB 1 TB for my long term storage (music, videos, etc) but just program files, Vista and the Winsxs are going to take up more than 70gb... (I currently have a vista box that has a 15gb winsxs folder...).

So is the conclusion of the community and the devs that Vista is not for performance?

I would like to salute the only response that has done some good. I ran the compcln.exe program on my old box and it removed just over 1gb of data. So instead of over 15gb, my winsxs folder is over 14gb...

I guess my only conclusion is to make an image of a fresh Vista install and every few months overwrite the bloaded winsxs install with the fresh one.

c'est la vie

Your approach amounts to not installing any programs in the first place. The growth of the winsxs comes from programs you install over time. So if you refrain from doing that, winsxs will not grow. The 1GB that the compcln.exe found were most likely language versions. Those you can live without.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    6 external disks 60 to 640GBs
    Other Info
    Also 1xHP desktop, 1xHP laptop, 1xGateway laptop

c'est la vie

Your approach amounts to not installing any programs in the first place. The growth of the winsxs comes from programs you install over time. So if you refrain from doing that, winsxs will not grow. The 1GB that the compcln.exe found were most likely language versions. Those you can live without.

Deleting lanuage files and install logs that I know I am not going to need is one of the first things I get rid of.
I also get rid of the sample music and video files that comes with vista.
If you look deep enough there is alot you can remove, do you really need a desktop made up of little tiles of checks.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
I don't get it:huh:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    gateway/m6881
    CPU
    centrino core 2 duo 2.2ghz T7500
    Memory
    3GB
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD
    Mouse
    logitech
    Internet Speed
    fios 35MB not!!!!

I have heard this in one form or another several times before. On my old Vista box (15 gb winsxs) I have installed and uninstalled many programs and I have only seen this folder get larger and larger and never get smaller.

My approach is not tantamount to never install any programs, its that I keep seeing this folder get larger and no reliable way to get it smaller other than to reinstall. Since I'm not willing to take such a ludicrous approach (i.e. reinstall once a month), I'll do the only remaining option: make an image of my Vista build and reflash it from time to time (takes about 5 minutes to do as opposed to the all day process of reinstalling an OS and setting all the software back up).

Deleting lanuage files and install logs that I know I am not going to need is one of the first things I get rid of.
I also get rid of the sample music and video files that comes with vista.
If you look deep enough there is alot you can remove, do you really need a desktop made up of little tiles of checks.

I've done all this and my folder went from over 15gb to over 14gb, still way too large. I've tried a few 3rd party programs, various techniques and the Microsoft proposed techniques/programs and nothing has lowered it to a sensible level.

Essentially, I have been battling with this old box having only a few gb available on my system disk for a year now and I don't see how I'm going to be able to make a sensibly priced performance computer with my 4x SSDs. That is what leads me to the conclusion that Vista was not designed for a performance system... This conclusion is saddening and maddening because I like the Vista build, I think there are many good features, but this on feature is almost inhibitory of the performance I want.

My Computer

The winsxs folder in Vista and Windows 7 takes over from other folders used on earlier systems and as it is a system folder that is referred to by many applications, I would leave it well alone.

Google brings up a lot of information about it but this one is the simplest: The Secret Of Windows 7 / Vista Winsxs Folder.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win 10 Pro x64 x 2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware ALX x58
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme O/C to 4.02 GHz, 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    Asus® P6T Deluxe V2 X58 LGA1366
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295 Dual Core
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 HD LED backlit 23" W/S 2ms response time
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500gb SATA II
    1 x 1TB SATA II
    1 external eSATA LaCie 3TB
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Unique
    Cooling
    4 case fans @ CPU water cooling.
    Internet Speed
    1gb/s up and down
Here is a tip worked for me. It is capable both Vista & 7.

When you first install your Vista/7 permanently disable Volume Shadow Copy service and stop useless System Restore. This is a working way to protect your system hard drive space.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo 2.00 T7300
    Motherboard
    Dell
    Memory
    2 GB DDR-2 667
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT
    Sound Card
    sigmatel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung Syncmaster 933 (external)
    Screen Resolution
    1440*900
    Hard Drives
    160 GB SATA-II (internal)
    500 GB SATA (external)
hi everyone.

i've been researching the winsxs folder as well.
and i found that the size displayed in explorer or cmd using dir is wrong.
most of the file inside winsxs are hard links Hard link - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

i have found to different disk space usage for my system.
first i checked the disk space usage using the disk properties.
then went system drive in explorer, selected all folders (best change folder options to show hidden files and folders) and right click, then select properties.

my current disk space usage, using disk properties, is 19.7GB.
my disk space usage, using properties of files and folders, is 23.7GB. thats a difference of 4GB.

the 4GB difference must be the winsxs folder. although my winsxs is taking up 6.42GB some files inside winsxs must be actual files and not hard links.

i hope this helps everyone

My Computer

capture is just the folder
capture2 is all the files in the folder

looks the same to me:huh:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 674
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 606

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    gateway/m6881
    CPU
    Memory
    3GB
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD
    Mouse
    logitech
    Internet Speed
    fios 35MB not!!!!
I multi-boot 2 Vista x64 and 2 Win 7 x64 and the sizes of the winsxs folder in each are 9.86, 10.4, (Vista 1 and 2) 6.40 and 6.42gb (Win 7 1 and 2) respectively. As this thread is about that particular folder and as it is a system folder, I repeat, leave it alone. Anyone encrypting or compressing drives to save space, I advise against that because it can cause major problems, also do not use registry cleaners and/or optimizers as they surely will screw up your system, believe me.

If the hard drive is seemingly filling up with mysterious files then I suggest scanning for malware first, and if that fails, formatting and reinstalling Windows and all its updates.

Download, install, update (very important) and then run the free version of this software: Malwarebytes because it sounds to me like something is seriously wrong with these rigs.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win 10 Pro x64 x 2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Alienware ALX x58
    CPU
    Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme O/C to 4.02 GHz, 8MB Cache
    Motherboard
    Asus® P6T Deluxe V2 X58 LGA1366
    Memory
    24GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 6 x 4096MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    1792 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 295 Dual Core
    Sound Card
    Onboard Soundmax® High-Definition 7.1 Performance Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung XL2370 HD LED backlit 23" W/S 2ms response time
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500gb SATA II
    1 x 1TB SATA II
    1 external eSATA LaCie 3TB
    (Non-RAID)
    PSU
    Alienware® 1200 Watt Multi-GPU
    Case
    Unique
    Cooling
    4 case fans @ CPU water cooling.
    Internet Speed
    1gb/s up and down
I apprecate that the answer to the majority of the questions here regarding the Winsxs folder is to "leave it alone", but it's frustrating that in my case, I am now unfortunately going to have to spend money in order to keep my Vista system running smoothly.

My laptop came with a 70GB HDD and while that should be sufficient to run a Vista installation, my Winsxs folder is now almost 15GB! Thus, I now have an 75% full HDD and my system is beginning to perform poorly. (My complete Windows folder is almost 24GB)

It's a shame M$ never addressed this issue and provided some sort of solution so that people in my situation - and I'm sure there are many - are not forced to part with hard earned cash simply to keep their systems running (or is there an alteria M$ motive?!).

:(

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 9300
    CPU
    AMD Turion 2.00 GHz MK-36
    Motherboard
    MyallM
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541680J9S SCSI 2.5"
I really wana free up those 20,000+ files and gain 4gig of hard drive space.

I only use my computer for internet (wireless) and printing...nothing else...please explain about that folder and if i can delete or not

Thanks,
netz
Read thru the previous posts and you will find the answer which is DO NOT TOUCH IT. Now if you are a super geek, you can find a few files within winsxs which are deletable and not vital to the system - but is it worth to risk your system.

Here is some reading: What is the WINSXS directory in Windows 2008 and Windows Vista and why is it so large? - Ask the Core Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/arch...in-Windows-XP,-Vista-and-Server-20032008.html

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    CPU
    Q6600
    Memory
    4GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP w2207h
    Hard Drives
    2x250GB HDDs
    1x60GB OCZ SSD
    6 external disks 60 to 640GBs
    Other Info
    Also 1xHP desktop, 1xHP laptop, 1xGateway laptop
Yes you can, but running the following:

DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded

I cant believe the amount of garbage that all the other posts (all over the net) say about this folder.

My Computer

Yes you can, but running the following:

DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded

I cant believe the amount of garbage that all the other posts (all over the net) say about this folder.

what will this do?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    gateway/m6881
    CPU
    Memory
    3GB
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD
    Mouse
    logitech
    Internet Speed
    fios 35MB not!!!!

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS