Cannot Boot From USB Drive using Vista.iso

raghavsood999@g

I downloaded Windows Vista x64 from getmyos.com / archive.com or Github.com. Now the issue is that I have trouble is that I have used Rufus, Universal Pen Drive Creator to write vista.iso to a fully formatted & clean usb drive formatted as NTFS with checking of bad sectors & I have also used proper power Iso software to clean my usb drive & get it ready for format vista.iso.

Can someone help me install the iso onto the usb drive using power iso?

I read a post of someone trying to install Boot.WIM & Install.WIM using power iso.
WBICreator - That one is like find vista install files & properly write them to vista.iso.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro x64
I downloaded Windows Vista x64 from getmyos.com / archive.com or Github.com. Now the issue is that I have trouble is that I have used Rufus, Universal Pen Drive Creator to write vista.iso to a fully formatted & clean usb drive formatted as NTFS with checking of bad sectors & I have also used proper power Iso software to clean my usb drive & get it ready for format vista.iso.

Can someone help me install the iso onto the usb drive using power iso?

I read a post of someone trying to install Boot.WIM & Install.WIM using power iso.
WBICreator - That one is like find vista install files & properly write them to vista.iso.
have you tried rufus? It supports booting from vista

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Elite 8300
    CPU
    I5-3750
    Motherboard
    HP Elite Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB Ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 2500/Nvidia GT 1030 2GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek Speakers (Built In)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell Square Monitor (60-75ghz)
    Screen Resolution
    1024x960
    Hard Drives
    500GB HDD
    PSU
    HP 240w PSU
    Case
    HP Elite Black Computer Case
    Cooling
    HP CPU Fan
    Keyboard
    I Live Keyboard (Glow)
    Mouse
    I Live Mouse (Glow)
    Internet Speed
    2-5Ghz
Yes i have tried downloading the iso from GitHub & following these instructions: Vista ISO - Download and Create Installation DVD or USB using creator.

The issue is boot. Wim & install. Wim are in the folder already but the setup of the other X14-63453.exe is which is Microsoft installer.exe is not in the folder. So how to find the X14-63453.exe for vista enterprise x64.

Can you tell me were i can buy vista enterprise x64.

Instead of following the steps from the link provided of copy boot.wim & install.wim to source folder and using wbm creator.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro x64

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Ok, so I downloaded this ISO file: 3.56 GB file on MEGA now, Can you help me get the Boot.WIM & Install.WIM with MicrosoftInstaller.EXE for WBMCreator to work?

The step of putting boot.wim & install.wim , I need microsoft installer.exe for enterprise edition. were do i find that one. the dl links dont work

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro x64
I think I need MicroftSoftInstaler.exe for Vista X64 Enterprise but if none exist for this edition, Ill use some other edition such as business or ultimate. Also, I read a post regarding, a user over using usb drive to write data & operating system more than once, so to undo that it's drive letter must be changed &

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro x64
I don't know anything about putting this on the USB. I burned it as a bootable disc and during boot, I think I got the the option of which installation file to run. S1W2 would be a great help here.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Ok, so I downloaded this ISO file: 3.56 GB file on MEGA now, Can you help me get the Boot.WIM & Install.WIM with MicrosoftInstaller.EXE for WBMCreator to work?

The step of putting boot.wim & install.wim , I need microsoft installer.exe for enterprise edition. were do i find that one. the dl links dont work

I don't know anything about putting this on the USB. I burned it as a bootable disc and during boot, I think I got the the option of which installation file to run. S1W2 would be a great help here.
Which DVD & software did you use to achieve this?

Also, when I put boot.Wim & install. Wim into a folder such as vista/sources then, The step for WBM-Creator, once file is ISO again its 5GB or so but then I dont think the 3.5GB ISO which i just downloaded is the same as the ISO or setup created from WBM Creator.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro x64
The ISO I gave you doesn't have any viruses.

I used Nero Burning Rom to burn the bootable DVD (DVD Image). Nero isn't free. I think you might be able to do it with Imgburn, which is free, but I can't guarantee it will do this.

I doubt you can buy a retail copy of Enterprise. Do you have a key for Enterprise?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Well, if you can create the bootable disc, you should be able to install enterprise. Not sure if you'll need the key.
Note that I believe the ISO I gave you contains all the updates until end of normal support. Be tough to get a disc that has all the updates and you can't download them anymore.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Just to clear things up, I asked SIW2 about the ISO I provided and he said Enterprise was not included. My apologies.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Iv tried t use rufus to write iso to usb but it dont work? any solution?

Hi raghavsood999@g

If you have a media creation tool like Rufus and a Vista installation ISO that is all you should need - once the bootable installation media is created and you use it to boot your computer I believe all you have to do is double-click the setup.exe file to start the installation file. See the short YouTube video Windows Vista Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive For Windows as well as Section 4 - How to Use Rufus to Create a Bootable USB from ISO Image of the UUByte article How to Use Rufus: A Complete Guide. If you are running the latest Rufus v3.22 from your 64-bit WIn 10 Pro machine (I think Rufus v2.5 was the last version that runs on Win XP / Vista) note the comments in that UUByte article about selecting "MBR" under the Partition Scheme section and checking "Add fixes for old BIOSes" option if you plan to install Vista on an old computer.

I have never used Rufus or any other media creation tool to create a bootable Vista installation USB or DVD from an ISO (my HP Vista laptop has it's own recovery partition and I created a HP recovery DVD using my CD/DVD optical drive and HP software) so I won't be of much help to you, but if you post back and explain what problems you had using Rufus others following this thread might be able to provide assistance or recommend another tool (e.g., like the paid version of Nero Burning ROM that wither 3 mentioned in post # 10) .

Wither 3's post #10 also indicates that they provided you with a 64-bit Vista ISO that SIW2 already slipstreamed with Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2 plus all ~ 200 security updates released between May 2009 (the release date of Vista Service Pack 2) and the end of support for Vista SP2 on 11-Apr-2017. If you can't use this ISO because it does not include the Enterprise edition of Vista or you simply don't trust it (I'm not sure why since many users in this forum have used SIW2's ISO files without issue) then that is your choice. However, here are a few things you should consider before you create your Vista installation media from an ISO file.
  1. Can you change the boot order in your BIOS settings so you can boot from a removable drive like a bootable USB, or do you need to create a bootable DVD? My old HP Vista laptop cannot be booted from a removable USB.
  2. Do you have a plan in place on how you will patch your new Vista installation back to end of support on 11-Apr-2017 if you don't use SIW2's slipstreamed ISO? Microsoft deactivated the Windows Update servers on 03-Aug-2020 (see the Microsoft support article Windows Update SHA-1 Based Endpoints Discontinued for Older Windows Devices) so you will now see an error message now if you try to run Windows Update on a Vista machine.
  3. Do you know how to re-activate your Vista license once your Vista operating system is installed? As far as I know the slui.exe 4 method I mentioned my 26-Sep-2022 post in VUser's Windows6.0-kb936330-x64.exe Crashes Mid Install (0x8007000D Error) still works but I'm not certain that is still the case.

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
If a poster clearly struggles with English, providing greater quantities of English in the usual Imacri style isn’t likely to be very helpful.

Why run Vista Enterprise (or any Vista) on your laptop in 2023? There is no good reason! In 2023, running Windows 8.1 has become silly even though it is 6 years younger than Vista and has certain advantages. For example, Firefox browser still supports Windows 8.1 but hasn’t supported Vista for 5 years. True, only a small minority of people are interested in using Firefox now that Google Chrome has clearly won the browser wars (and this might be Mozilla’s last year in business). Unfortunately, the last version of Chrome to support Vista is 7 years old now and cannot be recommended for web browsing in 2023. Perhaps you have heard about the extended kernel and plan to install it on Vista x64 so that you can use more modern browsers? Unfortunately, its developer is facing great difficulties now that Chrome no longer supports anything older than Windows 10. Perhaps you have heard that there are Chromium-based browsers from China that can be used on Vista without the extended kernel? True, but nothing newer than Chromium 86 or 87, which are already about 2 years old. With Windows 8.1 you could use Chromium 109-based browsers that are only a few months old - not that I would recommend Windows 8.1 to someone who already has Windows 10. Windows 10 is supported by everything and still receives security updates from Microsoft! With Vista, it’s a struggle to get a complete collection of 6-year-old patches that will not make your system secure in 2023. At least Windows Update can still be used for 8.1, but unfortunately it will never receive any more current updates, and is therefore insecure in April 2023 even with all updates installed.

Conclusion: My advice is forget about Vista!

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
FA506IV - I have this laptop model. Sometimes vista is stuck on loading

Hi raghavsood999@g:

Then I don't understand what you are trying to do, so could you please provide further details?

Do you mean that you own the ASUS TUF Gaming FA506IV laptop described in the UltraBookReview.com review at ASUS TUF Gaming A15 FA506 review (FA506IV model - Ryzen 7 4800H, RTX 2060 90W) that was released around 2020? If so, are you trying to run Rufus or some other media creation tool on this machine to create a bootable Vista installation DVD or USB that will be used to install Vista on an older computer, or do you mean that you want to run Vista on this ASUS FA506IV?

If you want to install a Vista OS on your ASUS FA506IV, what is the make and model of the CPU? Are you certain that you can run Vista SP2 with this CPU (see WinClient5270's Compatible Hardware with Windows Vista in the MSFN forum), and have you checked to see if Vista-compatible drivers are available for the modern hardware components? I checked the ASUS TUF Gaming FA506IV support site at FA506IV - Support and ASUS only offers hardware drivers for 64-bit Win 10 and Win 11, and I doubt the original manufacturers (e.g., Realtek, NVIDIA, etc.) still offer Vista-compatible drivers for your hardware.

If you want to install Vista on your ASUS FA506IV (e.g., because you want to play older games that only run on Vista), are you planning to replace the 64-bit Win 10 OS that came with this machine, or are you going to keep the 64-bit Win 10 OS and run Vista on the same machine [e.g., by creating a Vista virtual machine (VM) on your ASUS FA506IV computer - see the MakeUseOf article Dual Boot vs. Virtual Machine: Which One Is Right for You?)?

You also said in post # 11 that you have a product key for 64-bit Vista Enterprise, but where did you obtain this product key? If your product key is from an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) copy of Vista that the manufacturer installed at the factory on an old Vista machine then the product key on the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) sticker is non-transferable and can only be used on the first machine it is installed on.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
I just
Hi raghavsood999@g

If you have a media creation tool like Rufus and a Vista installation ISO that is all you should need - once the bootable installation media is created and you use it to boot your computer I believe all you have to do is double-click the setup.exe file to start the installation file. See the short YouTube video Windows Vista Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive For Windows as well as Section 4 - How to Use Rufus to Create a Bootable USB from ISO Image of the UUByte article How to Use Rufus: A Complete Guide. If you are running the latest Rufus v3.22 from your 64-bit WIn 10 Pro machine (I think Rufus v2.5 was the last version that runs on Win XP / Vista) note the comments in that UUByte article about selecting "MBR" under the Partition Scheme section and checking "Add fixes for old BIOSes" option if you plan to install Vista on an old computer.

I have never used Rufus or any other media creation tool to create a bootable Vista installation USB or DVD from an ISO (my HP Vista laptop has it's own recovery partition and I created a HP recovery DVD using my CD/DVD optical drive and HP software) so I won't be of much help to you, but if you post back and explain what problems you had using Rufus others following this thread might be able to provide assistance or recommend another tool (e.g., like the paid version of Nero Burning ROM that wither 3 mentioned in post # 10) .

Wither 3's post #10 also indicates that they provided you with a 64-bit Vista ISO that SIW2 already slipstreamed with Service Pack 1, Service Pack 2 plus all ~ 200 security updates released between May 2009 (the release date of Vista Service Pack 2) and the end of support for Vista SP2 on 11-Apr-2017. If you can't use this ISO because it does not include the Enterprise edition of Vista or you simply don't trust it (I'm not sure why since many users in this forum have used SIW2's ISO files without issue) then that is your choice. However, here are a few things you should consider before you create your Vista installation media from an ISO file.
  1. Can you change the boot order in your BIOS settings so you can boot from a removable drive like a bootable USB, or do you need to create a bootable DVD? My old HP Vista laptop cannot be booted from a removable USB.
  2. Do you have a plan in place on how you will patch your new Vista installation back to end of support on 11-Apr-2017 if you don't use SIW2's slipstreamed ISO? Microsoft deactivated the Windows Update servers on 03-Aug-2020 (see the Microsoft support article Windows Update SHA-1 Based Endpoints Discontinued for Older Windows Devices) so you will now see an error message now if you try to run Windows Update on a Vista machine.
  3. Do you know how to re-activate your Vista license once your Vista operating system is installed? As far as I know the slui.exe 4 method I mentioned my 26-Sep-2022 post in VUser's Windows6.0-kb936330-x64.exe Crashes Mid Install (0x8007000D Error) still works but I'm not certain that is still the case.
I like to look & feel of Vista Enterprise Edition compared to other operating systems. I understand vista is old & unsupported by newer manufactures & I understand that Windows 11 & 365 Enterprise Editions are out but when I use Vista Enetrprise - It feels bulky & I feel more calm watching videos on that Operating System compared to XP or NT or Windows 7 Enterprise Editions.

Vista has more neat look & it looks very nice... I loaded windows 10 & 11 long time ago & experced twice better perofrnace than vista because vista kept freezing on my older hardware but when I got XP or Windows 7 Enterprise, It felt much better but vista still has a better look & feel than windows 7. When I use Vista it feels to me like it's packed with feataures or feels real time .

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro x64
"vista still has a better look & feel than windows 7. When I use Vista it feels to me like it's packed with feataures or feels real time ."
Couldn't agree more.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory