Solved cannot connect to internet

stinsonman

I built my computer in about 2012. Windows vista 64 bit. I installed windows xp as a dual boot because I have some software not compatable with vista. It has all worked fine with the exception that I could not connect to the internet in XP. Not really a problem. Last week, I installed another program in XP. Installed ok but would not work. Switched back to Vista. Could not connect to internet. Went back to XP and uninstalled program. I can now connect in XP but not Vista. Also I have lost my network connection to that computer. All are hard wired and work fine except the one not connecting. Any ideas?

richc46

Vista Guru
Gold Member
The first thing that I would try, to keep it easy at first, is to go back before the problem with system restore.

stinsonman

I tried that. There is no restore point before the problem started.
I appreciate the reply I received from my request. I do not have a restore point dated before my problem occured. The thing is, I can connect to my network and internet from 2 of my 3 computers. The computer is a dual-boot with vista and xp. I can connect to the internet with xp, so my cables, connection etc. are working. My drivers for my lan are installed. When I got into the network and sharing center, my computer comes up as a public network. I change it to private and it will go back the other way. I called att and was on the phone for 45 minutes and the problem is still unresolved. Any further suggestions will be greatly appreiated. It looks like I may have to save what I can and format my hard drives and stare over.

stinsonman

I appreciate the reply I received from my request. I do not have a restore point dated before my problem occured. The thing is, I can connect to my network and internet from 2 of my 3 computers. The computer is a dual-boot with vista and xp. I can connect to the internet with xp, so my cables, connection etc. are working. My drivers for my lan are installed. When I got into the network and sharing center, my computer comes up as a public network. I change it to private and it will go back the other way. I called att and was on the phone for 45 minutes and the problem is still unresolved. Any further suggestions will be greatly appreiated. It looks like I may have to save what I can and format my hard drives and stare over.

I found the problem and it is now resolved. It seems that I needed 2 LAN ports. One for each operating system. My computer only has one port on the motherboard. I installed a PCI card with a LAN port, loaded drivers and connected to my router. I can now access my network and internet from both XP and Vista. I hope this information will help anyone else with a similar problem.