Solved cannot connect to internet

stinsonman

I built my computer in about 2012. Windows vista 64 bit. I installed windows xp as a dual boot because I have some software not compatable with vista. It has all worked fine with the exception that I could not connect to the internet in XP. Not really a problem. Last week, I installed another program in XP. Installed ok but would not work. Switched back to Vista. Could not connect to internet. Went back to XP and uninstalled program. I can now connect in XP but not Vista. Also I have lost my network connection to that computer. All are hard wired and work fine except the one not connecting. Any ideas?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self made
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 7750 Dual-core
    Motherboard
    Gigabite GA-MA78GM-US2H
    Memory
    4.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Sound Card
    on board ATI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G205HV
The first thing that I would try, to keep it easy at first, is to go back before the problem with system restore.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I tried that. There is no restore point before the problem started.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self made
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabite GA-MA78GM-US2H
    Memory
    4.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Sound Card
    on board ATI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G205HV
I tried that. There is no restore point before the problem started.
I appreciate the reply I received from my request. I do not have a restore point dated before my problem occured. The thing is, I can connect to my network and internet from 2 of my 3 computers. The computer is a dual-boot with vista and xp. I can connect to the internet with xp, so my cables, connection etc. are working. My drivers for my lan are installed. When I got into the network and sharing center, my computer comes up as a public network. I change it to private and it will go back the other way. I called att and was on the phone for 45 minutes and the problem is still unresolved. Any further suggestions will be greatly appreiated. It looks like I may have to save what I can and format my hard drives and stare over.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self made
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabite GA-MA78GM-US2H
    Memory
    4.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    Sound Card
    on board ATI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G205HV
I appreciate the reply I received from my request. I do not have a restore point dated before my problem occured. The thing is, I can connect to my network and internet from 2 of my 3 computers. The computer is a dual-boot with vista and xp. I can connect to the internet with xp, so my cables, connection etc. are working. My drivers for my lan are installed. When I got into the network and sharing center, my computer comes up as a public network. I change it to private and it will go back the other way. I called att and was on the phone for 45 minutes and the problem is still unresolved. Any further suggestions will be greatly appreiated. It looks like I may have to save what I can and format my hard drives and stare over.

I found the problem and it is now resolved. It seems that I needed 2 LAN ports. One for each operating system. My computer only has one port on the motherboard. I installed a PCI card with a LAN port, loaded drivers and connected to my router. I can now access my network and internet from both XP and Vista. I hope this information will help anyone else with a similar problem.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    self made
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabite GA-MA78GM-US2H
    Memory
    4.00GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3200