Solved Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window.

JMH;1147715 [I said:
Hello shor,[/I]
You have done well. Congratulations. However one swallow doesn't make a summer.
A lot of us help out without receiving rep or even a thank you.
You will find that your bad deeds are chiselled in granite & your good deeds written in the sand.
I suggest that you refer to the link below.[ if you haven't already done so ]
Be patient & give plenty of help everywhere & the rewards will eventually come.
http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/118651-forum-rules.html

well said;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    gateway/m6881
    CPU
    centrino core 2 duo 2.2ghz T7500
    Memory
    3GB
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD
    Mouse
    logitech
    Internet Speed
    fios 35MB not!!!!
JMH;1147715 [I said:
Hello shor,[/I]
You will find that your bad deeds are chiselled in granite & your good deeds written in the sand.
http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/118651-forum-rules.html

well said;)
Thank you. :D
[I just stated the obvious.]

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LAPTOP. HP Pavilion dv7-1005TX .
    CPU
    IntelCore [email protected] x2
    Memory
    4.00 GB installed, max capacity 8 GB.
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT & 512MB DDR2 dedicated graphics mem.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.0" diagonal WXGA + High definition brightview widescreen infinity display.
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.
    Drive 1. 298.09 GB Fujitzu MHZ2320BH G2 ATA Device
    Drive 2. [ All as above.]

CONFIG. C:\287.65 GB, D:\298.09 GB, E:\10.44 GB.
    Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port touch pad.
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.
My Outlook didn't open for some stupid reason. outlook.exe /resetnavpane worked!!! What the hell was that all about?!?! I didn't change any settings in Office! I just turned my laptop on and "Cannnot open Office.." was there. Thanks for the instructions! you saved my laptop from becoming a projectile object!!!!

My Computer

:D Shor...you are the smartest person I have ever come across...thank you so much for the fix!!! I was very nervous that I had lost my calendar. Now I just have to make a habit of backing it up! Thanks...I will boost your power rating if I can figure that out :confused:

My Computer

Well, it didn't work for me. I can only open Outlook from start-programs. I cannot open it when clicking on a link at any website like my school, medicare, etc to send an email. Nothing works for me.

My Computer

"Excuse the small typo...you need a space between .exe and / so type outlook.exe /resetnavpane in run and that should do it."

Shor,
I joined this forum JUST so I could tell you THANK YOU!! My Outlook crashed yesterday and I have been in a panic because I can't lose all that info! You saved my LIFE with a SIMPLE instruction!! Those are the BEST!
Thanks again!!!!!!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E1505
    Memory
    1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.4"
    Hard Drives
    120GB 5400rpm SATA
Help outlook.exe /resetnavpane does not work for me. I put the space between exe and / it says cannot open microsoft outlook....
What else muxt I do? has this happened to anyone else???
My personal email [REMOVED]

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

Well thanks, anytime you want to boost my power rating feel free to do so. My answer has helped about 5-6 others and no-one stroked me on the back yet. I could use a little rating increase.

Hello shor,
http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/118651-forum-rules.htmlhttp://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/118651-forum-rules.htmlhttp://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/118651-forum-rules.html

I'm sorry, but I kind of think this reply to shor was uncalled for. Many of us don't even know there is a rating system here and his posting this made me aware that we even had that ability.

shor - your tip worked awesome!! Thank you so much and I will now go back and try to figure out the rating system - now that I know there is one!

My Computer

Hurrah - run outlook.exe /resetnavpane worked for me, found this solution the second time this happened. Thank you, Shor.

The first time happened a week ago, and I followed the procedure on microsoft's site to fix it, which has you delete the profile in the registry. That deleted all my settings and email accounts, and caused outlook to create a new empty .pst file. fortunately, I knew how to restore my original .pst file to get my old emails back, but I had to put my twenty two (!) email accounts back in manually.

My Computer

Well thanks, anytime you want to boost my power rating feel free to do so. My answer has helped about 5-6 others and no-one stroked me on the back yet. I could use a little rating increase.

Shor, I would be happy to boost your rating but unfortunately it didn't work for me. After running "outlook.exe /resetnavpane" I get pop up box "cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the window. The set of folders cannot be opened. Errors have been detected in the file c:\users\me\appdata\local\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst. Please advise. Thanks!

My Computer

Well, i am one of the unfortunate few that cannot get the outlook.exe /resetnavpane tactic to work... when i try it (about seven times) i get the following error message:

Please Help, thanks!!

My Computer

Thanks a million to Shor for the tip off on the need for the space before the forward slash in:-
outlook.exe /resetnavpane.
I was becoming very frustrated :cry: and had done all the other suggestions and every combination to death. I could see a cliff coming up faster than my braking distance would allow. You have thrown me a parachute my friend -
I am very grateful:party: I use Vista 32bit and inserting the space had the instant effect

My Computer

thank you so much for your help shor! ...

i believe the reason why this is not working for some of you all is because either you have to navigate to the directory where the outlook.exe is located or you must be using an account with administrative priviledges ... i am running ms office 2007 which is located in c:\program files\microsoft office\office12 ... (NOTE: i am running windows xp and it worked for me ... i am assuming the the ms office directory structure is the same for vista as it is for xp ... also, i believe if you are running vista, you must be using an account with administrative priviledges to access the c:\programs files directory ... assuming it was installed in the default location) ... so when you open the command prompt, ensure that you are at the root of the c-drive ... open a command prompt ... at the command prompt type cd\ ... then press enter ... type cd program files\microsoft office ... then press enter ... type dir ... then press enter ... this will show the directories and files in the current directory ... look for the directory that looks like officexx (where xx is 11, 12 or some other number depending on the version of ms office you are running) ... type cd officexx (replacing the xx with the correct version number) ... then press enter ... (for me it was office12) ... type outlook.exe /resetnavpane ... then press enter ... you can now close the command prompt window ... now go and launch ms outlook ... outlook should now be fixed ...

i hope this helps eventhough i am running xp ...

My Computer

I have just spent the last 2hrs trying to mix my outlook problem. You were the only person who could help me get it fixed. It's amazing how easy it is when someone explains things correctly. Thanks heaps.

My Computer

First of all this error has nothing to do with Vista SP 2. I had the error long before I ran SP 2. It is really quite simple to fix.
Go to run and type outlook.exe/resetnavpane :D

I may be a newbie here but its not my first rodeo. Enjoy

The resetnavpane didn't do me any good at all. Other ideas?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Optiplex
Back