Context Menu - Take Ownership

ByLine
How to Add Take Ownership to the Context Menu in Vista
Synopsis
This will show you how to add Take Ownership to the Context (right click) menu for all folders, files, and drives in Vista and Windows 7. This will make it easier to take ownership of items and all subfolders and subfiles in a folder to.
How to Add Take Ownership to the Context Menu in Vista

information   Information
This will add Take Ownership to the Context (right click) menu for all folders, files, and drives in Vista and Windows 7.

Application files, (EX: EXE, CMD, MSI) will still have Run as administrator instead of Take Ownership in the context menu.

When you use take ownership on a folder, it will take ownership of all the files and subfolders inside the folder to.

Tip   Tip

warning   Warning
This Take Ownership context menu item needs to be used while logged on to an administrator account for it work.
EXAMPLE: Before and After Context Menus
Before.jpg After.jpg
Default_Exe_file.jpg Exe_File_After.jpg

STEP ONE
Add or Remove Take Ownership

1. To Add Take Ownership
A) Click on the Download button below to download the file below.​
Add_Take_Ownership.reg
download

B) Go to step 3.​

2. To Remove Take Ownership
A) Click on the Download button below to download the file below.​
Remove_Take_Ownership.reg
download

3. Click on Save, and save the .reg file to the Desktop.​
4. Right click on the downloaded .reg file and click on Merge.​
5. Click on Run, Continue (UAC-Vista) or Yes (UAC-Windows 7), Yes, and OK when prompted.​
6. When done, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.​
Tip   Tip
After you have taking ownership of the file, you may still need to "Allow" your user account "Full Control" of the file before you will have full permission to access it. See steps 11 to 22 in the tutorial below for how.

STEP TWO
How to Use Take Ownership

1. Right click on a folder, file, or drive.​
NOTE: When you use Take Ownership on a folder, it will take ownership of all the files and subfolders within that folder to.​
warning   Warning
Do not take ownership of the drive that you have Windows installed on. If you do, you will end up having to reinstall Windows.
2. Click on Take Ownership. (See Example at top)​
3. Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.​
4. You will see a command window pop-up and then go away when it's finished. (See example screenshot below)​
Command_Window.jpg

5. The folder or file has been taken ownership of.​
NOTE:
A) You can verify from METHOD TWO step 7 here: How to Take Ownership of a Item in Vista
B) It will have your user name listed as the owner.​
Tip   Tip
After you have taking ownership of the file, you may still need to "Allow" your user account "Full Control" of the file before you will have full permission to access it. See steps 11 to 22 in the tutorial below for how.

That's it,
Shawn

Related Tutorials

Last edited by a moderator:
Shawn Brink

Comments

Hi Salpap,

Yeah, this can come in handy if you need to take ownership alot, or need to take ownership of a bunch of sub folders and files.

Shawn

Does this work for individual files, or just folders?

Example.....I have a back-up (file) of my favorites on a CD/RW disk, and when I wanted to overwrite it with a more recent version, Vista wouldn't let me do it, even with Admin privs.

Hi Clark,

It works for either one. ;)

Shawn

I'm trying to run an application, and have tried all that I can think of to get permission for it to run a dll, but it continues to tell me I don't have permission. It's my machine, for crying out loud. I'm supposed to not have to ask for permission.

Anyway, I tried the "takeownership" thing, and it tells me I have ownership. When I look at the permissions, it says I have full acess, yet I still can't run the dll.

This is not a system file or directory, it's just a graphics program by Ogre.

Why can't I get permission? This is confusing!

Thanks for any feedback.

Hi Thales,

Welcome to Vista Forums. :party:

Is the program by Ogre compatible with Vista?

You may need to right click the program and use "Run as Administrator" on it to open the .dll file.

Shawn

Hi Thales,

Welcome to Vista Forums. :party:

Is the program by Ogre compatible with Vista?

You may need to right click the program and use "Run as Administrator" on it to open the .dll file.

Shawn
Thanks, Shawn.

"Run as Adminstrator" did the trick!

Great!

Your welcome taco-man, and welcome to Vista Forums. :party:

I'm glad to hear that it was helpful to you.

Shawn

For those who don't want the trick on the context menu and find a bit complicated the way to do it manually, they can do it this way:

Copy those 2 lines in notepad and save as for example: takeownership.cmd
Put the file in your windows directory.

takeown /f %1 /r
icacls %1 /grant yourusername:F /t

Now when you want to take ownership of a file or folder, run the command prompt as administrator and type in:

takeownership C:\folder for which you want to take ownership (or file)

If the entry is a folder, you will have ownership on all files within the folder.