• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

General Tips Context (Shortcuts) Menu

z3r010

Staff member
Context (Shortcuts) Menu How to Expand the Context (Shortcuts) Menu in Vista
This will show you how to expand the context (right click) menu to see more options.
Published by z3r010 Category: General Tips 
ByLine
How to Expand the Context (Shortcuts) Menu in Vista
Synopsis
This will show you how to expand the context (right click) menu to see more options.
How to Expand the Context (Shortcuts) Menu in Vista

information   Information
This will show, when you right click on an item, how to see more options in the context menu.

Here's How:
1. Hold down the shift key when right clicking on files and folders to get the extra context menu options. ;)
File Before and After Shift key :
File_Before.jpg File_With_Shift.jpg
Folder Before and After Shift key :
Folder_Before.jpg Folder_With_Shift.jpg

Related Tutorials

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, this one doesnt work for me - Im not getting the Open Command Window Here on the expanded menu.

Im using Ultimate 64bit.

Greatful for any ideas

all the best

Gill

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Hi Gill,

What is the name and path of the folder or drive that this is not working on?

Are you trying it from within Windows Explorer and not from within the folder tree?

Shawn

Hi Gill,

What is the name and path of the folder or drive that this is not working on?

Are you trying it from within Windows Explorer and not from within the folder tree?

Shawn

Hi Shawn

I can get it to work over a folder now but not over a file. And it happens in any drive and any file type from .txt .doc .psd, .jpg and so on

Cheers for the help

Rats, I thought this was going to answer my question, too. It is somewhat related--does anyone know why the Open command disappears from this menu (and the menu bar) when two or more files with different extensions are highlighted?

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Hi Ssemandeni,

Open With is used to to open a single file extension type with a selected program. You can select multiple files with the same file extension and still use Open With, but not multiple different file extensions.

Sorry, :(
Shawn

Nah, wasn't using Open With, just trying to Open...in XP used to just highlight and hit Enter, but even that doesn't work. Cuz yeah, MS Word won't handle my .dss, and can only take the .tiff after they've been converted, which doesn't work so well anyway.

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Ok ssemadeni,

I tested it on my computer and found that if the selected files have the same file extension, then Open will appear. If the selected files have more than one file extension type, then Open is gone. I'm pretty sure that it all comes down to the default program associations to the file extentions. If the selected files have different file extensions and there is not a default program that can open all of them, then Vista removes Open.

Shawn