Do I need to replace the battery or charger?

AlexE

Hi, I know this might not be the correct forum for this problem, but I couldn't find answers anywhere else.

My situation is, I have an Acer Aspire 3050. Everything works perfectly normal, except the charger charging the battery. I am willing to replace the battery/charger, but I am unsure which one is causing the problem.

- The laptop charges (about 1 hour for 1%), up to about 3% when it stops charging.
- When I plug the adaptor into the laptop, sometimes it may not charge. I have to play about the way it is plugged in, and if I slightly touch it it will stop charging.
- The adaptor has a minor loose wire.

I have no idea if my battery has ran out of cycles, but I know the laptop has been plugged in non-stop for about a week (I am sure this causes the problem). But then again, it might be the loose wire on the charger.

Can anyone help with this? Thanks!

My Computer

kesume

Vista Guru
I'll have a go at answering the question, first, with some questions.
Are there no indicator lights anywhere, on the ac adapter or lead?
How far do you live from a computer outlet? If near take your comp,lead, ac adapter, & get them checked out.
I guess leaving it on for a week, it might have been more economical to take to a shop?
Do you know a good electrician, who can test the charger see if current flows? Have you contacted Asus?
The link may give a little insight:-
How to Tell if a PC Battery is Dead | eHow.com

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800 + 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
    HP G56 Laptop Win 7 64bit. 4Gb Ram DDR2's. Hitachi 450Gb Hard Drive. Pentium(R) Duel-Core CPU.

kesume

Vista Guru
Alex' Check out this it may help.
DC mode (Battery mode)
There are four pre-defined profiles — Entertainment, Presentation, Word Processing, and Battery Life. You can also define up to three of your own.
To create a new power profile: 1 Change power settings as desired. 2 Click "Save as ..." to save to a new power profile. 3 Name the newly created profile. 4 Select whether this profile is for Adapter or Battery mode, then click OK. 5 The new profile will appear in the profile list.

Pages 1 to 4 of your computer manual shows how battery is on computer, should be able to tell from there?

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/manuals/acer/0000/userguides/AS5050_3050_Eng_OLM.pdf

Also check out the battery hour life in specifications, see how it compares to your use, OK?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800 + 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
    HP G56 Laptop Win 7 64bit. 4Gb Ram DDR2's. Hitachi 450Gb Hard Drive. Pentium(R) Duel-Core CPU.