Do I need to replace the battery or charger?

AlexE

Hi, I know this might not be the correct forum for this problem, but I couldn't find answers anywhere else.

My situation is, I have an Acer Aspire 3050. Everything works perfectly normal, except the charger charging the battery. I am willing to replace the battery/charger, but I am unsure which one is causing the problem.

- The laptop charges (about 1 hour for 1%), up to about 3% when it stops charging.
- When I plug the adaptor into the laptop, sometimes it may not charge. I have to play about the way it is plugged in, and if I slightly touch it it will stop charging.
- The adaptor has a minor loose wire.

I have no idea if my battery has ran out of cycles, but I know the laptop has been plugged in non-stop for about a week (I am sure this causes the problem). But then again, it might be the loose wire on the charger.

Can anyone help with this? Thanks!

My Computer

I'll have a go at answering the question, first, with some questions.
Are there no indicator lights anywhere, on the ac adapter or lead?
How far do you live from a computer outlet? If near take your comp,lead, ac adapter, & get them checked out.
I guess leaving it on for a week, it might have been more economical to take to a shop?
Do you know a good electrician, who can test the charger see if current flows? Have you contacted Asus?
The link may give a little insight:-
How to Tell if a PC Battery is Dead | eHow.com

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800 + 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
    HP G56 Laptop Win 7 64bit. 4Gb Ram DDR2's. Hitachi 450Gb Hard Drive. Pentium(R) Duel-Core CPU.
Alex' Check out this it may help.
DC mode (Battery mode)
There are four pre-defined profiles — Entertainment, Presentation, Word Processing, and Battery Life. You can also define up to three of your own.
To create a new power profile: 1 Change power settings as desired. 2 Click "Save as ..." to save to a new power profile. 3 Name the newly created profile. 4 Select whether this profile is for Adapter or Battery mode, then click OK. 5 The new profile will appear in the profile list.

Pages 1 to 4 of your computer manual shows how battery is on computer, should be able to tell from there?

http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/manuals/acer/0000/userguides/AS5050_3050_Eng_OLM.pdf

Also check out the battery hour life in specifications, see how it compares to your use, OK?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett-Packard SR5019UK
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 processor 3800 + 2.40GHz
    Motherboard
    M2N68-LA (Narra)
    Memory
    2.50GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GeForce
    Sound Card
    Realtec ALC888 Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" LCD Monitor
    Hard Drives
    160 Gb Usable Hard Drive
    Other Info
    HP G56 Laptop Win 7 64bit. 4Gb Ram DDR2's. Hitachi 450Gb Hard Drive. Pentium(R) Duel-Core CPU.
Back