Do you LOVE or HATE Windows Vista?

I love Vista, love Vista x64 even more but hate that all the cool harddrives and networking tools don't work on my 64bit system.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv3510nr
    CPU
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz, 2
    Memory
    4G
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SynchMaster2300sw
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800x60hz
    Hard Drives
    WD MyBookHome 1T external
    Internet Speed
    Fast yo
Well, my experience is a mixed bag. I actually like the OS very much (x64 U). However I've got two computers with it, one a custom built desktop (works great so far) and a HP laptop (beautiful machine, love the display, but it seems to have a lot more problems).

It seems that Vista is easier to break and harder to fix than XP. That coupled with my inexperience using the system also makes me nervous going in and trying to make adjustments.

If I could figure out what's causing the problems with the laptop, I'd be a much happier camper. I will start some new threads here on some of that soon.

But in any case, this is the way forward, so no looking back. My last XP machine at work is getting replaced with Vista next week (that will make three machines). I'm one of the few here at a major technical university who is running it, the IT guys all turned up their noses and said "you're on your own"... --ch

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP HDX 16
    CPU
    Core2Duo T9400
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9600 GT M
    Sound Card
    -
    Monitor(s) Displays
    -
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    320 Gb 5400 RPM
Well, my experience is a mixed bag. I actually like the OS very much (x64 U). However I've got two computers with it, one a custom built desktop (works great so far) and a HP laptop (beautiful machine, love the display, but it seems to have a lot more problems).

It seems that Vista is easier to break and harder to fix than XP. That coupled with my inexperience using the system also makes me nervous going in and trying to make adjustments.

If I could figure out what's causing the problems with the laptop, I'd be a much happier camper. I will start some new threads here on some of that soon.

But in any case, this is the way forward, so no looking back. My last XP machine at work is getting replaced with Vista next week (that will make three machines). I'm one of the few here at a major technical university who is running it, the IT guys all turned up their noses and said "you're on your own"... --ch

Which HP laptop do you have? dv3510nr per chance?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv3510nr
    CPU
    Memory
    4G
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SynchMaster2300sw
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800x60hz
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    Fast yo
HDX 16... --ch

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP HDX 16
    CPU
    Core2Duo T9400
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 9600 GT M
    Sound Card
    -
    Monitor(s) Displays
    -
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    320 Gb 5400 RPM
Yeap, I love it twice. Use 64bit Home Premium on main CPU and 32bit Ultimate on secondary CPU.

By the way, what I hate are boring manuals. Everything I need to configure/set/tweak/fix/etc/etc I find somewhere in this Forum. Makes me continue loving Vista.;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Gateway
    CPU
    Gateway FX6800-01e.
    Motherboard
    Intel X58 TBGM-01
    Memory
    6Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    1 ATI 4850-512MB & 1 ATI 4550-512Mb
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Gateway FHX2300 and Gateway FD1975
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 and 1400x960
    Hard Drives
    1 - 750Gb; 1 - 500 GB; 1 - 160 Gb
    1 - 400 Gb (Sec)
    PSU
    500 W
    Case
    Full Case
    Cooling
    Fans
    Keyboard
    USB Saitek II
    Mouse
    Gateway Generic
    Internet Speed
    Verizon DSL 3 Mbps
LOL.

Don't get me wrong, I love Vista (and seven more)
I just wish that you could buy an absolute barebones OS, just real light and simple, and donwload all the add ons yourself. A bit more work at first, but I think it would be better in the end. That was the size of it on the disk in the beginning would be like 10gigs or less (hopefully).

Just a hope. Maybe one day I will work for M$ (gotta finish high school and college first though) and work on that....

~Lordbob

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5QC
    Memory
    2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce 9500GT 1Gb
    Sound Card
    Mobo
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 206bw
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SP2514N ATA 250Gb 7200RPM
    Samsung [Model] 1Tb 7200RPM SATA2
    PSU
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W
    Keyboard
    Razer Tarantula
    Mouse
    Razer Lachesis
    Internet Speed
    not fast enough
I love Vista, love Vista x64 even more but hate that all the cool harddrives and networking tools don't work on my 64bit system.

Such as ? ?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K MBoard.
    Memory
    4G OCZ PC2 8500 Platinum
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 8800GTS Vid Card
    Hard Drives
    500G Seagate SATA
    200G Seagate SATA
    100G WD Caviar SATA
    80G WD Caviar IDE
    PSU
    OCZ Elite 800W PSU
    Case
    RaidMax Smilodon Case
    Other Info
    Lite-On dual layer DVD burner X 2
    Dos 6.2;Win2K;XP; &
    Vista Ultimate 64Bit.
I used to have issues with vista but now its very stable and a pleasure using it, I don't have any internet hang ups, its quite fast with only 1GB RAM(of course after tweaking with the help of Brink's tutorials). I love it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Biostar
    CPU
    AMD Athlonx64 Dual Core 3800+ 2.0GHz
    Motherboard
    Biostar MCP6P-M2
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    CIBOX
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi 160GB
YES!!!

When I first read your post it made me think of Howard Stern when he first hit the airways. People hated hime but still listened....how ironic.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self built
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64x2 6000+ 3.0ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus M4N78 Pro
    Memory
    3Gb PC2-5300 DDR2 @ 667mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    XFX Radeon HD 4770 512mb GDDR5
    Sound Card
    VIA HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual monitors: HP W1907 LCD 19" and Gateway HD Display 19" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320 x 2-GB Hard Drive
    PSU
    Antec Earthwatts 80 plus 500 watts
    Case
    Ultra E-Torque ATX Mid tower clear side w/2 120mm fans
    Cooling
    Thermaltake MaxOrb cpu cooler w/120 mm blue led
    Keyboard
    OEM HP
    Mouse
    OEM HP
    Internet Speed
    Download 6885 kb/s upload 367 kb/s
    Other Info
    Optical: Super Muliti DVD burner w/lightscribe, Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800
I love Vista, love Vista x64 even more but hate that all the cool hard drives and networking tools don't work on my 64bit system.

Such as ? ?

Admittedly I am prone to hyperbole. I am having some issues regarding my new laptop and have been trying to make our external hard drive accessible to all computers at my house.

The Belkin Network USB Hub seemed to be the answer and as far as I can tell it is a one of its kind but it turns my Windows Explorer into the village idiot. Shutting it down and leaving me only with what ever programs are open on my desktop. I have spoken with Belkin and they admited to not having fully run it on an x64 system (or at least I think that's what she said)

The best alternative, and 3 times the cost, seems to be one of Western Digital's 2TB network drives. I really like this idea but again, their software does not run on our Vista x64.

I have spent the day looking into this, and have threads going to try and solve it, so my declaration that "all" the cool drives and tools was possibly blown out of proportion. There may be some great products out there that I'm just not aware of.

But I discovered this forum a few days ago and am better for it. I am looking forward to learning quite abit about Vista x64.

Dean

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv3510nr
    CPU
    Memory
    4G
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SynchMaster2300sw
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800x60hz
    Hard Drives
    Internet Speed
    Fast yo
i love\hate it
i love its multimedia and gaming greatness...... past that its kinda a hate thing.....

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer, Aspire M1201\Custom Build
    CPU
    AMD Athlon X2 5000+ @ 2.6Ghz
    Motherboard
    Acer Micro-ATX Motherboard
    Memory
    2x2gb Patriot Viper DDR2 PC6400 @ 800mhz Dual Channel SLI Edition (4-4-4-12)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI HD3870 with 512mb GDDR4
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD 7.1 Onboard Sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" Acer X223 Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1050
    Hard Drives
    320gb Western Digital SATA II (Ubuntu 9.10)
    500gb Seagate SATA II
    1tb Seagate SATA II (Vista Home Premium)
    PSU
    ULTRA X3 600 Watt Modular
    Case
    NZXT Tempest (The Airflow King) 2x 140mm Fans, 4x 120mm Fans
    Cooling
    1x 135mm In PSU, 1x 70mm On CPU, And 1x 120mm On GPU
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Sidewinder X6
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder X5
    Internet Speed
    6 Mbs Down 1 Mbs Up
    Other Info
    AVerMedia 1500MCE TV Tuner
    Logitech X540 5.1 Surround Sound
I have liked every Op sys I have used but Vista x64 has a unique feel that allows the ability of the current computers with new hardware open up and operate to what I feel is a full potential, so I vote YES. I have read many people dislike Vista due to the fact that the older hardware is not compatible due to lack of driver support. I have yet to understand why anyone did not consider that there are many users in the world that want to upgrade yet can't afford the latest and greatest toys so they make due with what they have and prey that it will all work together. Lets face it. the electronics has not changed yet the codeing has! The fact is that with all the money that Microsoft has, it forgets about the common user and disregards the truth that many people can't get the latest toys. I don't downfall the Vista Op Sys for that but place the blame on the programmers that did not allow there to be a function to integrate older system support in some limmited state to support older hardware rather then simply disregard that hardware all together. Emmulation is the keyword here! You figure they would have learned that with XP when DOS was forgotten at first. We all know that all these older hardware items simply need current drivers to work yet the fact is the companies that made these items simply will not and refuse to create new drivers for items already sold that they can't make more money on. So that forces people to buy new stuff! You know the old saying... the difference between boys and men is simply the price of their toys... has anything changed yet?
I still like Vista x64 and have accepted that this is just how things are and always will be when it comes to hardware!:sarc:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    Intel i7 920 Broomfield-Not overclocked
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X58-UD4P
    Memory
    12 Gig Corsair Dominator Triple Channel 1600 DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire 3870 X2 - Just the one now
    Sound Card
    Creative Blaster X-FI Titanium Optical to Yamaha Receiver
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Panasonic 50 inch Plasma via HDMI and used as just a Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Sata Seagate 750 Gig 32MB for the Vista 64 bit and second drive is Sata 300 Gig for extra storage.
    PSU
    Cooler Master 1000
    Case
    Antec 900 extra fans
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper-N520
    Keyboard
    MX 5000 Logitech
    Mouse
    MX 5000 Logitech
    Internet Speed
    Cable 12MBPS
    Other Info
    LG GGW-H20 Blue Ray writer running with Cyberlink Ultra 9. Home Theater system through Yamaha 7.1 Receiver connected to 11 Def Tech speakers, including powered Def Tech 15 inch sub. What can I say I like movies! Not much of a gamer.
Reading the earlier posts, it looks like I'm the minority here. Let me put it this way: I have been building machines since the Radio Shack Trash-80 in the 80's, and built probably 50 computers since then for clients and family.

Every time I boot to vista 64, I hold my breath. Never had that feeling with a computer before. I can get any computer to boot, but with a Vista problem, I never know for sure.

It came with the laptop that I wanted so had no choice. I've also been told by the maker [Asus] that if I format it and install Xp Pro, I would never get drivers for it.

Sorry, but put me down in the hate column.

I have to learn all I can about vista, hence my attention here, and big thanks to all the contributers.

Maybe some day I will like it, but considering the frustrations so far, that's a long way off. [I will also jump to Windows 7 as soon as it's stable and works on this G50]

I should add that I have searched the net for sites about vista and without doubt, this is THE VERY BEST ONE!

thanks to all

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Asus G50Vt plus two XP shop machines used for trouble-shooting client problems
robertpri,

Just a thought.
Why not do a restore disk as layed out in the forum here and then try to install XP? With all the systems you have built, I am pretty sure that the laptop builders just stated the warning so they do not get the headache of having to deal with a system issue for a customer who is under warranty. You know systems do crash and if that new laptop suddenly stopped working you should have no problem getting an RMA to get it replaced. LOL Did they give you and support software with the laptop? I have changed OP SYS's for a number of friends to XP Pro from 98, ME, 2K, and XP home with no problems. You may have to get the correct drivers based on the hardware installed prior to doing this but I doubt you would not be able to fix it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X58-UD4P
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Sata Seagate 750 Gig 32MB for the Vista 64 bit and second drive is Sata 300 Gig for extra storage.
    PSU
    Cooler Master 1000
    Case
    Antec 900 extra fans
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper-N520
    Keyboard
    MX 5000 Logitech
    Mouse
    MX 5000 Logitech
    Internet Speed
    Cable 12MBPS
    Other Info
    LG GGW-H20 Blue Ray writer running with Cyberlink Ultra 9. Home Theater system through Yamaha 7.1 Receiver connected to 11 Def Tech speakers, including powered Def Tech 15 inch sub. What can I say I like movies! Not much of a gamer.
Thanks Techymike. I have a good [I think] warranty and they have already paid for shipping both ways and doing a re-do. All covered, but then I spent the w/e reinstalling my stuff. What I have done to avoid this is the future is this:

added eSATA drive with identical 350gb as laptop has
made bootable, file by file shadow copy to the eSATA drive with a dual boot. To be honest, I have not tried the dual boot yet--just created it last night.

Soooo, like so many business computers I have built for clients, one can boot to either drive. In a disaster, swap drives and the other is a dup. It updates every day. No special boot disks, or images or ghosting.

I have kept XP Pro on my two shop machines, and I must accept vista. As someone noted above, it's the current wave so I WILL get used to it.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Asus G50Vt plus two XP shop machines used for trouble-shooting client problems
Sounds like you have it covered!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte X58-UD4P
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Cooler Master 1000
    Case
    Antec 900 extra fans
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper-N520
    Keyboard
    MX 5000 Logitech
    Mouse
    MX 5000 Logitech
    Internet Speed
    Cable 12MBPS
    Other Info
Dean if you check one of your other threads on the issue i posted a link with 64Bit drivers for the Belkin...

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5K MBoard.
    Memory
    4G OCZ PC2 8500 Platinum
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 8800GTS Vid Card
    Hard Drives
    500G Seagate SATA
    200G Seagate SATA
    100G WD Caviar SATA
    80G WD Caviar IDE
    PSU
    OCZ Elite 800W PSU
    Case
    RaidMax Smilodon Case
    Other Info
    Lite-On dual layer DVD burner X 2
    Dos 6.2;Win2K;XP; &
    Vista Ultimate 64Bit.
Dean if you check one of your other threads on the issue i posted a link with 64Bit drivers for the Belkin...

I saw that, thank you very much, it was appreciated. But I think it is what I had originally. I followed your link and installed it with the same issues. The good new n all this is it is not my computer per se.

The woman at tech support said the software hasn't been fully tested for x64. Whatever that means.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavillion dv3510nr
    CPU
    Memory
    4G
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SynchMaster2300sw