Enable TLS 1.2

TerryWallis

I have been using Vista since 2008. In 2018 I had to have a new main drive. Vista's reinstalled & running smoothly as always.
I have the latest Firefox for Vista - 52.9.

In order to get some software verified I need to connect with the vendor so I can reinstall it. It seems the problem doing this is Vista not being TLS 1.2 capable. I'm told this can be rectified but how ? Has anyone done this ?

Thanks,
Terry Wallis

My Computer

Welcome back to Vista Forums TerryWallis. I have done exactly that running Vista x86, and once posted instructions in post #1 of IE9: Last Supported Browser for Vista. I am quite confident that the instructions are accurate for Vista x86, however I’m less certain about the additional registry changes for Vista x64, which I never used (but your previous posts suggest that you are running Vista x64). Of course your Firefox browser supports TLS 1.2 by default, but it sounds like you need TLS 1.2 enabled systemwide for reasons that are not entirely clear. Update KB4056564 (which superseded KB4109276 of VistaLover’s original post) should accomplish exactly that.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Hi TerryWallis-

I got this link-

from Imacri in this thread-

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Hello both. Yes, I have x64 Home Premium.

I was sent a link to John Haller's blog where he recommended getting 2018-05 Security Update for Windows Server 2008 for x64-based Systems (KB4056564) which I did. I clicked on it & Windows stand-alone installer told me it was searching & it did that an hour before I had to stopped it to go out.

Your right - it's the system. I checked Internet Options & have TLS1.0 & SSL 3.0. Firefox isn't the problem. I need that update.
The software vendor says until I can get TSL1.2 working he cannot help. The installer's now looking for the update again but I won't hold my breath. I've got fast fibre bb too & everything is very quick.........

If I can't get Vista enabled with TLS 1.2 I may have to install W7 as I need that software. to work Odd how it worked for 10 yrs until Vista was reinstalled.

My Computer

..Windows stand-alone installer told me it was searching & it did that an hour...

...If I can't get Vista enabled with TLS 1.2 I may have to install W7 as I need that software. to work Odd how it worked for 10 yrs until Vista was reinstalled.
It sounds to me as if you never dealt with the well-known issue that has affected Windows Update since before Vista’s EOL, i.e. your Vista isn’t even updated to April 2017, and you probably still have Internet Explorer 7. If I am correct about that, perhaps you should begin with why has vista stopped automatic updates? If you would prefer to watch an instructional video, then I would suggest
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtGYgxfpkeg

August 2020 Edit: The links pertaining to Windows Update provided above are no longer applicable because Windows Update SHA-1 based endpoints discontinued for older Windows devices.

Frankly, I suspect that your unnamed software no longer supports Vista, and installing W7 is a good idea for many reasons (e.g. W7 is still supported by browsers and security software).

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Go to Windows Updates and set the updater to never check for updates. Reboot. Then try the standalone installer.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
I notice that “terryindorset” posted the same question at MSFN today, and the John Haller link provided by jaclaz looks good to me. As you may have noticed, step 1 of Haller’s instructions called for updating Vista to EOL. I’m more than happy to let Imacri of MSFN assist you with that very boring topic! Only when you’re done with that should you try the standalone installer again.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
It might be helpful & less contentious if you read my first post where I wrote 'I have been using Vista since 2008. In 2018 I had to have a new main drive. Vista's reinstalled & running smoothly as always.
I have the latest Firefox for Vista - 52.9.'

I fail to see why the software I mentioned hold such a fascination. I did say it was working smoothly before I had Vista re-installed.

The updater still doesn't work even with Windows Update off.
Now, as for whatever sounds to you - see the attached jpg for my updates list...............

MSFN hasn't replied which is why I was forlornely hoping for tips here. I can see I am saddly mistaken.grab_021.jpggrab_021.jpg

My Computer

From your screenshots, it looks like you are only getting defender updates. Did you get all the updates to EOL after you reinstalled in 2018 - or is it only the defender updates you have received?

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
I did read your first post, and have now read it again. If I was incorrect in concluding that you were unfamiliar with an issue that has been well-known for years, then please allow me to apologize for my error.
The updater still doesn't work even with Windows Update off.
After setting Windows Update to “Never check for updates,” did you click OK and restart? The standalone installer should definitely not consume much time searching if you have done that, but it might give an error such as “does not apply to your system” if my earlier conclusion was correct after all.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
The machine is on automatic update & appears to have them all. This screenshot is of the end of the list I can see. You can tell me otherwise.
I installed KB4056564 yesterday.

Attachments

• grab_026.jpg
    grab_026.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 4

My Computer

I’m afraid the Windows updates in your last attachment are quite old and you may be lacking several years’ worth of patches after all. I have followed your MSFN thread with interest, and Imacri seems more than willing to write a book just for you if that’s what it takes to resolve your Windows Update issue.

Other posters are more interested in the topic you actually posted about: enabling TLS 1.2. There was some confusion about the registry edits needed for Vista x64 (which almost no one actually uses, including me), so I hope your registry isn’t fouled up now. In this post, jaclaz confirmed the registry path by consulting IE9: Last Supported Browser for Vista, which is actually the same link I provided for you in post #2 above. I am very sorry that you did not find that link to be helpful. (I suppose my writing isn’t very good.)

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
If I can't get Vista enabled with TLS 1.2 I may have to install W7 as I need that software.
At MSFN you say that you “use W7 in 3 other machines...” Is there some good reason why you can’t simply use one of those for this?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT