Solved Error code 80070017 / Windows Update encountered an unknown error

Flavius,

This may have been completely unorthodox but I dabbed the laser in the CD Rom with alcohol and rebooted. It worked! It has booted from disk into the Win7 CD and I am now able to choose the Repair Option that shows in the lower of the screen. I will continue with that 1st since I have that option available at the moment.

Then I will create my own Admin acct. then delete all the others. Should I keep the guest acct. also or delete it too?

My Computer

Flavius,
This may have been completely unorthodox but I dabbed the laser in the CD Rom with alcohol and rebooted. It worked! It has booted from disk into the Win7 CD and I am now able to choose the Repair Option that shows in the lower of the screen. I will continue with that 1st since I have that option available at the moment.
So do method from post 2.

Then I will create my own Admin acct. then delete all the others. Should I keep the guest acct. also or delete it too?

Guest account is build-in system account and as far as I know even cannot delete it,instead you can disable this account http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/126933-guest-account-turn-off.html

My Computer

Flavius,

I had to go ahead and create the disk. It has booted to the disk.
Choose language>>Repair Computer>>WinRE>>command prompt
I chose the language, clicked next, then Startup Repair (is that what you meant by WinRE? There was no WinRE option after Repair.) in the System Recovery Options, then sent me back to the same window to choose command prompt. Was that correct?

In the command prompt I get this x:\Source> not C:\Source> I've never seen this before! Shouldn't it be C: ?

At the top of the command prompt window it says:
Administrator: X:\windows\system32\cmd.exe
I've never seen that before.

I don't think I'm doing this correctly.

Could you explain the below to me please?
2.Download attached to post FixPacks.zip file -in zip file is packed Packs folder -you have to unpack it and place directly on C: exactly as I show below:
Where do I find this FixPacks.zip file to unzip. Where does it come from?

I think I missed something in your directions didn't I? :o

My Computer

Flavius,

I figured it out. Anyway, I keep getting the following error after the first Command is entered:
ERROR 2 <0x00000002> Accessing Source Directory C:\Packs\
The system cannot find the file specified

Thing is, this is taking all my time away from my malware removal studies. I may have to set this laptop aside for a while so I don't get kicked out of training. Do you mind if we hold off till I get some of my Registry logs posted at school? That's very important to me.

I'll check back tomorrow after work. Thank you so much for your time.

Donna

My Computer

Flavius,

I had to go ahead and create the disk. It has booted to the disk.
Choose language>>Repair Computer>>WinRE>>command prompt
I chose the language, clicked next, then Startup Repair (is that what you meant by WinRE? There was no WinRE option after Repair.) in the System Recovery Options, then sent me back to the same window to choose command prompt. Was that correct?

In the command prompt I get this x:\Source> not C:\Source> I've never seen this before! Shouldn't it be C: ?
Should be X and it's here normal -no more comment

I figured it out. Anyway, I keep getting the following error after the first Command is entered:
That mean you have installed OS not on the first partition (it's only assigned as C:) and you have to change drive letter in my commands.Back to your system go to
Start>>Search>>diskmgmt.msc and show partitions status (attache image to post -see this tutorial how to do that http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/9733-screenshots-files-upload-post-seven-forums.html)

Last edited:

My Computer

Got the screenshot.

Sorry for me being so difficult. This laptop has been a pain from the beginning. I'm off to work. Should be back by 5:00pm my time.

Attachments

• disk1.jpg
    disk1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 127

My Computer

Your first partition is boot partition and my command should work as I gave you in post 2.Have you placed Packs folder directly on C: as I said?

Open explorer,open C: drive and show screen.

My Computer

Your first partition is boot partition and my command should work as I gave you in post 2.Have you placed Packs folder directly on C: as I said?

Open explorer,open C: drive and show screen.
Please accept my apologies. I did not see the attachment at the bottom of your post #2.

I am having a horrible time getting explorer to work properly. Everything I click on is very delayed in responding.

I have downloaded FixPacks.zip file to desktop.

Then clicked to extract > browse > computer > Local Disk C:

Clicked Ok > Extract

It then shows the Packs folder is on Computer > Local Disk (C: )

View attachment 20901

I then go back and place burned Recovery disk into CD-ROM and follow instructions.

After entering command prompt, I still am getting the following error after the first Command is entered:

Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

My Computer

I just put the Recovery disk in my good Gateway Vista Home Premium laptop. When I got to the Window after it searches for the OS (System Recovery Options), it shows the Location as (C: ) Windows.

In the bad HP Compaq Presario it shows as being in the (D: ) Local Disk.

Why is that? Is that the problem?

My Computer

I will have a try then. Can you please try and re-post that screenshot?

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
I am at the mercy of this computer continually freezing on me. Took me and my boyfriend 3 times (who is more computer savvy than I) to post this. I will ask him to join this forum so he can post as well just to verify that it has to be the computer, not me.

Flavius, I understand your frustration with me, for I am frustrated as well. I've never had this much trouble with a computer that I have dealt with in the past.

Attachments

• 2nd.jpg
    2nd.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 32

My Computer

Wasn't this the computer that was really badly infected? Are you absolutely sure that this is not all just caused by the infection? I mean do you know for sure that the infection is completely gone?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
I am at the mercy of this computer continually freezing on me. Took me and my boyfriend 3 times (who is more computer savvy than I) to post this. I will ask him to join this forum so he can post as well just to verify that it has to be the computer, not me.

Flavius, I understand your frustration with me, for I am frustrated as well. I've never had this much trouble with a computer that I have dealt with in the past.

I'll never figure what is wrong :confused: .Theoretically it should work but it doesn't.Can you open C:\Packs folder without any problem?

Burn any linux e.g Ubuntu Ubuntu homepage | Ubuntu

1.Boot linux disk

2.Go to C:\Packs\Windows\WinSxS

and copy whole folder C:\Packs\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_07289f4cca5f699 to

C:\Windows\WinSxS folder,it will ask you "do you want to merge folders?" or "do you want to replace files?" then click yes

NOTE:

Linux will see C: partition as /mnt/disk/hda1

when you did it back to your system,run Readiness Tool again and try again install SP2

My Computer

As requested by niemiro:
Wasn't this the computer that was really badly infected? Are you absolutely sure that this is not all just caused by the infection? I mean do you know for sure that the infection is completely gone?
Yes it is! The last scan I ran was ESET Online scanner as posted in 1st post. Showed no infections. I have ran MBAM, SASW, ComboFix. (I know that you should never run ComboFix if you are not qualified.) Sent PM to instructor @ school asking permission to post to verify that it was clean...no response back.
As requested by Flavius:
I'll never figure what is wrong :confused: .Theoretically it should work but it doesn't.Can you open C:\Packs folder without any problem?
Yes! Below you will find an image of the final Folder (x86).

We do have a Linux Knoppix Live CD. Will that work? If not, burning the Ubuntu can be achieved and will be done.

I must ask again what I asked in post #29. Upon inserting the recovery disk that you had me burn from post #2 and following through the prompts to the System Recovery Options screen, the disk finds the OS (Vista Home Basic) Located on the D: drive. I've never seen this before. From my experience it should be found on the C: Drive, correct?

Attachments

• PCKS Folder.jpg
    PCKS Folder.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 35

My Computer

I must ask again what I asked in post #29. Upon inserting the recovery disk that you had me burn from post #2 and following through the prompts to the System Recovery Options screen, the disk finds the OS (Vista Home Basic) Located on the D: drive. I've never seen this before. From my experience it should be found on the C: Drive, correct?
From post 26 (your image) it should be C: ,C: is the first boot partition...:confused:

If really system is available under D:\ the proper commands in WinRE will be following

robocopy D:\Packs D:\ /E /IS

press ENTER

del D:\Windows\Logs\CBS\*.*

press ENTER

Do you have only one system installed or two?

We do have a Linux Knoppix Live CD. Will that work?
Of course you can use it.

My Computer

As requested by Flavius:
Do you have only one system installed or two?
There is only one.

Flavius, I am totally confused as well. The image that I posted for Disk Management in post # 26 shows that the D: Partition has capacity for 5.54GB's. When I click on computer it says that there is 4.99 free of 5.53 on the D: partition. That is supposed to be the recovery partition. Doesn't add up! It looks at if someone has messed around with the disk management before it was given to me.

I'm going to change the command to this:

press ENTER

press ENTER

The command will be denied if it is unacceptable. Correct? I will have to do this after work tomorrow. If this does not work I will then use the Knoppix disk we have and follow your instructions in post #34.

Please except my apologies for the length of time that this is taking. I truly want you to know how much I appreciate your expert guidance.

I'll keep you informed to my progress.

:sarc: Hmmm! Do laptops fly? We may find out soon enough! Just kidding!:D

Donna

My Computer

The command will be denied if it is unacceptable. Correct?
Correct

I will have to do this after work tomorrow. If this does not work I will then use the Knoppix disk we have and follow your instructions in post #34.
As you said.

Please except my apologies for the length of time that this is taking. I truly want you to know how much I appreciate your expert guidance.
No problems.Strange partitions status in your computer was not your fault.

Don't forget only run again Readiness Tool when you already replace corrupted files.

My Computer

Update to progress:

Booted Recovery Disk. Entered 1st D: command that worked! Entered 2nd D: command ended with access denied!

Booted into safe mood out of curiosity. Entered 1st C: command. Worked! Entered 2nd C: ended with access denied!

Booted Knoppix disk. To be totally honest...I am not familiar with the knoppix system and could only get as far as finding the folder that needed to copied.

I feel that this computer was so damaged with infections that the malware has destroyed the system and I fear that continuing will be a waste of your valuable time.

Could permissions have anything to do with this?

Please let me know if you'd like to take the time to guide me further. If you do not want to, I understand completely. The only other thing that I can think of is to have it checked thoroughly with deeper scans for rootkits, etc. or find a copy of Vista Home Basic and reinstall for which I do have the Product Key. Or my last option that would be to install Ubuntu and leave it at that.

I await your expert opinions.

Thank you for your time.

Donna :(

My Computer

Update to progress:

Booted Recovery Disk. Entered 1st D: command that worked! Entered 2nd D: command ended with access denied!
1st D: command,do you mean this one

worked,but the second

doesn't work ? :sarc:

First command is most important,the second less,the task of second command is only delete logs which sometimes could stuck and no more.

1.Run checkdisk on boot http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67612-check-disk-chkdsk.html
2.Delete manually all files in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder
3.Run Readiness Tool again,it will create new CheckSur.log file in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder,attache this file to post.

Booted Knoppix disk. To be totally honest...I am not familiar with the knoppix system and could only get as far as finding the folder that needed to copied.

I feel that this computer was so damaged with infections that the malware has destroyed the system and I fear that continuing will be a waste of your valuable time.
May only with linux disk is something wrong,if WinSxS was missing or likely issue you will see in your own eyes.If really is something wrong is with your computer then only with hdd.If nothing help to empty C:\Windows\Logs\CBS then try Ubuntu to do that and eventually more precisely diagnose your hdd.

My Computer

Back