Solved Error code 80070017 / Windows Update encountered an unknown error

Yes Flavius! The following command worked.
robocopy D:\Packs D:\ /E /IS
after that 1st command was accepted I then entered the 2nd command--> del D:\Windows\Logs\CBS\*.*
That command ended in Access Denied

I will now follow through with the following request:
1.Run checkdisk on boot Check Disk - chkdsk
2.Delete manually all files in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder
3.Run Readiness Tool again,it will create new CheckSur.log file in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder,attache this file to post.
Please note:

I did Go to C:\Packs\Windows\WinSxS with knoppix disk though could not complete the task you requested of me because I am unfamiliar with that OS. :o
and copy whole folder C:\Packs\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft-windows-servicingstack_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6000.16386_none_07289f4cca5f699 to

C:\Windows\WinSxS folder,it will ask you "do you want to merge folders?" or "do you want to replace files?" then click yes
Also, ran HDTune on September 26th, 2010. There are 0.8% Damaged Blocks. It does have a smart drive that has shown no signs of warning. Belarc reports healthy status on September 29th, 2010. I will go to the Hitachi site for a more efficient HDD scan if the above fails.

Thank you kindly :)

My Computer

Also, ran HDTune on September 26th, 2010. There are 0.8% Damaged Blocks. It does have a smart drive that has shown no signs of warning. Belarc reports healthy status on September 29th, 2010. I will go to the Hitachi site for a more efficient HDD scan if the above fails.
That bad news although expected :( ,even if you have only one bad block your hdd qualify to replace,because bad block are unrepairable.I suspect your issue with emptying CBS is caused by bad blocks.Bad block have tendency to grow in numbers.

Neverless when you finish scan,for research I want to know what my commands did.

Don't try empty CBS folder.only run Readiness Tool again,this will create new CheckSur.log file -attache the new one to post.

BTW

I did Go to C:\Packs\Windows\WinSxS with knoppix disk though could not complete the task you requested of me because I am unfamiliar with that OS. :o
You should learn backgrounds how to working with linux,I do not expect miracles from you of course only backgrounds.My suggestion: burn & use Ubuntu -this linux version is a bit more friendly for beginners than Knoppix

My Computer

Flavius,

I can't get Readiness tool to run again! This tool installed on October 10, 2010 as a HotFix update KB947821. I am not experienced with tool as you are. Is this how it is supposed to install (as an update)? It shows in installed updates but not in Updates History.

There is a CheckSur folder in C:\Windows\Logs\CBS that is empty.

I apologize for taking so long to post this. Been trying to figure out how to get Readiness tool to run.

My suggestion: burn & use Ubuntu -this linux version is a bit more friendly for beginners than Knoppix
Yes I will follow your guidance to burn & use Ubuntu. Had Ubuntu on a dual boot with XP but gave that computer to our daughter after taking Ubuntu off. Bad move! Should have kept it. :(

Neverless when you finish scan,for research I want to know what my commands did.
Just to let you know, anytime research is involved, I will not stop following your requests till you say no more...done!! :geek:

chkdsk log below:

Attachments

• CHKDSK 10-17-10.txt
    18 KB · Views: 65

My Computer

Flavius,
I can't get Readiness tool to run again! This tool installed on October 10, 2010 as a HotFix update KB947821. I am not experienced with tool as you are. Is this how it is supposed to install (as an update)? It shows in installed updates but not in Updates History.
Readiness Tool isn't normal update,its only special diagnostic tool.It was offered in Windows Update...hm.I don't know how it is with this tool from Windows Update,probably source code is stored in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistrbution and in any hexadecimal folders

delete folders (of course if you can)

C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
C:\Windows\CheckSur
C:\Windows\Temp\CheckSur

find on all partitions any hexadecimal folders -hexadecimal folder: folder which name consist with hexadecimal digits (from 0-F).Hexadecimal folder are only directly on partitions,not in any subfolder.

I see from your image in post 32 you have such kind of folder on C:,but check the second second partition too.

next download & run Readiness Tool from here Download details: System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821) [August 2010]

from your checkdisk report

72340663 KB total disk space.
27020104 KB in 137005 files.
83152 KB in 23408 indexes.
220 KB in bad sectors.
295963 KB in use by the system.
4096 KB occupied by the log file.
44941224 KB available on disk.

no doubt you have bad blocks :( although better to estimate size of damages to use any better tool -e.g manufacturer tool,you tried as I understood,nevermind -you have change your hard disk as soon as possible.

My Computer

Readiness Tool isn't normal update,its only special diagnostic tool.It was offered in Windows Update...hm.I don't know how it is with this tool from Windows Update,probably source code is stored in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistrbution and in any hexadecimal folders
I thought it was a diagnostic tool as well that is just installed and ran.

The link you have provided is the exact link that I have been using to "install" the tool. When I click on the Download button the window in the attachment below pops up. (I used my good Gateway laptop to capture the image in the attachment below with my snipping tool to show you)

If you choose Open File it downloads and proceeds to install as an update. If you choose Save File it will download to the desktop and when clicked still installs as an Update if you click the desktop icon.

If you click on the arrow to the right of Windows Update Standalone Installer (default) you can choose which program to use to open with. None seemed appropriate for the occasion though.

I will go back to bad laptop (Compaq Presario) and capture an image of the Update History to show it in the Updates list and post it from that laptop in next post.

Also, the Readiness Tool finally installed successfully a second time. I have a report to attach in my next post from the bad laptop. (Compaq Presario) I will try to install SP2 as soon as I post from the Compaq Presario.

Should I still delete the folders above..or at least try to?

I sure wish Vista Home Basic had a snipping tool like my Home Premium version does. :( I dearly love that tool!

Attachments

• readiness popup.JPG
    readiness popup.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 51

My Computer

Images attached from Compaq Presario:

Trying SP2 now to see if it will install since the last report in CheckSUR found no errors.

Attachments

• CheckSUR.log
    394 bytes · Views: 44
  • update history.jpg
    update history.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 96

My Computer

:D :) :confused: :geek: ;) :shock: :party: <---very emotionally Happy!

Success! SP2 has installed!

Flavius,

I can not find the appropriate words to express how thankful I am to you for being so patient with me. I have learned so much from this experience with you guiding me. I know that I must next work on getting a new HDD for this poor abused laptop. And will when the funds are available.

I'm not quite sure which of the procedures that you suggested did work, but will look through the thread and learn from this. If you have a final conclusion to what has brought us to this success, please share it with me. I will be at this for days trying to figure out just what worked.

1.gif

Attachments

• sp2 success.jpg
    sp2 success.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 117

My Computer

If I knew at the beginning that you have bad blocks on hdd,I would not help you,because it doesn't make sense to fix system if hdd is irreversibly damaged -it's clear.

Possibly that bad blocks caused damages in WinSxS and thus you had corrupted components but even if none of system files is corrupted but only presence bad blocks also cause issues with updates too.Assigning corrupted sectors as bad blocks or even remapping bad sectors only slow down growing of bad sectors,it can't stop pernamently.

Neverless if getting a new hdd will take more time I suggest to remap badblocks.Any linux have good tools to do that Bad block HOWTO for smartmontools

There are also separate tools out of any linux but unfortunatelly there are commercial.If you want to do that ask someone experienced for help,due to your problem with operating on linux.

Good luck in future ;)

My Computer

I do appreciate you sticking by me even after the bad blocks. I know that they are irreversible and will do more damage as time goes on. From you I have learned so much. This was quite frustrating for you. For me very educational.

Neverless if getting a new hdd will take more time I suggest to remap badblocks.Any linux have good tools to do that Bad block HOWTO for smartmontools

There are also separate tools out of any linux but unfortunatelly there are commercial.If you want to do that ask someone experienced for help,due to your problem with operating on linux.

I will find someone to guide me on remapping bad sectors. If I have someone do it for me...I'll never learn Linux.

Again Flavius, I thank you. You truly helped perform a miracle.

Donna :D

My Computer

I read the thread ,
Flavius-way to go :cool:
you did a remarkable repair job!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LENOVO G-530
    Other Info
    # Intel Pentium Dual-Core T3400 (2.16GHz, 1MB L2 cache, 667MHz FSB)
    # 15.4-inch glossy 16:10 display (1280x800)
    # Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD
    # 3GB DDR2 667MHz RAM
    # 250GB 5400RPM HDD
    # SuperMulti DVD+/-RW Optical Drive
    # Broadcom WiFi (802.11b/g), 10/100 Ethernet, Modem
    # 6-Cell 11.1V 53WHr Battery

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=5022&review=lenovo+g530
Back