Free Software List for Vista

QTTabBar

One I found and really like is a Vista-specific Explorer extension that adds various useful buttons - up-a-level arrow like XP, new window, tabbed folders (speedy copy/move) and a History list of recently-viewed folders. Really should be standard.

My Computer

My Computer

I want to note that Virtual PC 2007 does work on all versions of the Vista operating system, however, Microsoft only supports Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate.

My Computer

VistaTweaker, spotted on this list of free Vista goodies, gives a simple tick-box GUI to do many of the registry changes covered in the Tutorials here and elsewhere without delving through Vista menus or firing up Regedit.

XDN Tweaker looks similar, also free (donationware).

They seem to have more features than the free but heavily cut-down version of the commercial TweakVI program.

My Computer

Hi cpemma,

Yeah Vista Tweaker looked like it would be great, but I could not get most of the options to work in the 64 bit Vista Ultimate. I can only assume that it may only work on the 32 bit Vista instead for now. :(

Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Excellent list and saved to my favourites.

Nice to know that you have listed programmes I am already using and trust - such as avast! CCleaner, Foxit Reader and IrFanView.

Last edited:

My Computer

Your welcome twoteles. If you have any great free ones that are not listed, then please feel free to share with the rest of us to.

Thank you,
Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Brink/Shawn

Maybe you would like to consider the following:

One handy little programme that I have used, from time to time, is PhotoFiltre.

Downloads

For those people who can't afford to pay for the upmarket Photo Programmes, this piece of Software is worth looking at.

One feature I use quite often (which I can't seem to find on many other photographic programmes) is its image>rotate>free which allows you to adjust photographs from 1 degree to 45 or 90. It's ideal for the amateur photographers among us who can't seem to take a level pic and then want to straighten it up for a website!

With a one button click, you can also have your colour photograph turned into Old photography or Grayscale!

Or, for those who are searching for Gifs with a difference, and totally free, may I suggest:

Free animated gifs - gif animations - free gifs - US election gifs

Cheers,

Two!

My Computer

twoteles,

That's a nice one. It has been added to the list.

Thank you,
Shawn

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    PSU
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD
Xillisoft - (Trial version only) video convertor, video editor, dvd ripper. Very similar if not copy of Imtoo software and is working.

Am after DVD burning software similar to NERO. Nero no work on my 64 8(

My Computer

USB Disk Ejector.

Nothing clever, just a handy icon for the desktop, click twice to "safely remove hardware" as Windows puts it for pendrives, MP3 players, etc, plugged into a USB port. Saves a few seconds, various switches. :)

My Computer

If you haven't taken to the new Backup software in Windows Vista and want something more traditional where you can actually choose the specific files and folders you want to backup then this piece of software is perfect ... and free

AceBackup: The free Backup Software

I especially like the backup approach where it copies (compresses and encrypts) the files you want backed up and can be set to only refresh the files in the backup that have changed.

Edit - 10th June, 2008 - started having a few problems with this program. For some reason it started to ignore files and give some strange errors. I think things got corrupted. I now use Cobian Backup 9.

Last edited:

My Computer

Some really important omissions here, as I think some of these are possibly the best freeware in their field(s).

Avira AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic - freeware antivirus, better then AVG and Avast (not knocking them, but they're "good for being free" which isn't quite as good as the paid ones), but the catch is, once per day it'll display a nag screen as it updates itself. Well worth it for better protection, imo. Using it right now on Vista x64 Ultimate.

CDBurnerXP - CD / DVD burning software. One of the rare free programs that looks and feels as richly made as the better paid ones. I dropped Nero for this a couple of years ago, and it works great in Vista x64 (runs on .Net framework which you must install first, if you don't already have it).

xplorer2 - file manager / windows explorer replacement - two-pane FTP-style file management.

FastStone Image Viewer - Remember the old ACDSee before it became huge and bloated, and when you still loved it? This is just like that.

FileZilla - The most well-rounded (free) FTP client for Vista that I know of. There's a 64-bit one in the works, I hear, but this works fine as-is on Vista x64.

Gadwin PrintScreen - if SnagIt was free also, I'd still like Gadwin's better. A very elegant program that will make people actually use the Print Screen button again! :)

Recuva - undelete software from the same folks as CCleaner. I've used it and it works nicely.

Exact Audio Copy - the mother of all CD-rippers works great in Vista x64 (you'll have to download the LAME encoder to plug into it, also, if it's not already on your drive somewhere).

Trillian Basic - Multi-client instant messanger that connects to AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo Messenger, and IRC. Skinnable too.

VideoLAN (or VLC) - Lots of people swear by this so I included it, but it's only 2ed favorite video player. See...

Combined Community Codec Pack (or CCCP) - imo the best video player (media player classic) + codec pack available, but that's just me. Try them both.

That's pretty much it for now.

VideoSpin - I'm a noob at video editing, but basically, from what I understand, this is the "easy one" and VirtualDub is the more advanced one. Again, this is not my area of knowledge...I do simple edits of .avi files from our digital camera and that's it. Maybe a real video editing geek can add something to this and correct me if needed.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

My Computer

FastStone Image Viewer...

FileZilla - The most well-rounded (free) FTP client for Vista that I know of.
The Faststone Capture program is worth having as it can capture images larger than the screen;
It allows you to capture anything on the screen including windows, objects, menus, full screen, rectangular / freehand regions and scrolling windows / web pages.
version 5.3 linked is free for non-commercial use but the latest version 6 is $20 shareware. :(

For FTP I've found WinSCP very good. Although designed for high security it can be set to plain FTP for hosts not supporting the default SFTP. I like the way I can right-click on a file and 'Send To' my webspace.

I'll try CDBurnerXP, I'm getting cheesed off with Nero 7's insistence on installing stuff that tries to run at start-up (Scout) plus I'm not paying for a vast suite of second-rate bloat in Nero 8.

My Computer

Shawn,

Fantastic list. Have already downloaded and installed several tools. Many thanks :)

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 X 1 GB DDR2 Kingston 800 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia 8800 GT 512 MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    3360x1050
    Hard Drives
    320 GB Internal Main
    500 GB USB External
    160 GB USB External
    2TB USB External
    Internet Speed
    DSL 3MB
Returnil Virtual System 2008 Personal Edition v2.0

This is one program that i consider a must have on my systems.
A re-boot and all changes made to the OS are gone

Product Description
The Returnil Virtual System Premium Edition is a powerful virtualization technology that completely mirrors your actual computer setup and it can create a virtual storage disk within your PC where you can save documents, data, and files while using the System Protection feature.
The security of computers connected to the Internet remains a problem. Despite the efforts of major Anti-malware companies, a high proportion of computer infections remain undetected, Internet crime continues to grow and new malware is being discovered at the rate of many tens of thousands of items per day. The situation is getting worse, proving that existing security technologies, whilst useful, are inadequate.
Even if you have a properly configured Firewall, an updated and frequently used Anti-Virus, practice safe surfing, never open attachments or click unfamiliar links, you will still likely become infected. Why? Because Anti-virus and Anti-spyware scanners are not able to cope with the enormous volume of new malware; estimated by recent surveys to be more than 30,000 new items appearing each day.

The Returnil Virtual System provides an altogether different and highly complimentary level of defense. It is designed to protect your computer from all types of software, downloads, websites or anything else that might harbor viruses, spyware and other malicious programs. How does it achieve this?

Returnil virtualization technology clones a computer’s System Partition and boots the PC into this system rather than native Windows, allowing you run your applications in a completely isolated environment. Hence the session and all activity, malicious or otherwise, will happen in the virtual environment, not in the real PC environment. If the PC is attacked or gets infected, all you need to do is to simply reboot the PC to erase all changes. After reboot, the system will be restored to its original state, as if nothing ever happened. All of this without sacrificing computer performance or usability while helping to reduce technical support intervention and the need for routine maintenance
Layered security needs a stable base to be effective, and like your favorite chair, it simply will not stand on two legs. The Returnil Virtual System provides the third and arguably most important part of a true layered approach, the cure! Stop the endless, performance hogging cycle of filtering, detection, and removal. You can finally sit comfortably and start enjoying your computer.
Features

The Returnil Virtual System:
> Keeps your System Partition safe when browsing the Internet
> Viruses, Trojans, Worms, Adware, Spyware, and unwanted content disappear with a simple reboot
> Enforces settings and protects your internet privacy
> Helps reduce overall disk wear by using memory rather than HDD cloning technology
> Saves you time, money, and lost hair by maintaining or improving peak computer performance
> Reduces or eliminates the need for routine disk de-fragmentation of your system partition
> Your spam filter is strong, but not infallible – Returnil will eliminate the consequences of opening infected e-mail and/or attachments
> Leaves absolutely no traces of computer activities
> Eliminates all activities even if your computer is powered-off or crashes
> Eliminates the danger of evaluating new software that does not require a reboot to install
> Offers stronger, simpler and smarter protection for your PC
> Seamless integration with supported Windows Operating Systems
> Easy to use, simple to configure, and the one tool in your arsenal that will be there to save the day when all else fails!

My Computer

Back