Help please, HP Pavilion dv6500 with Windows Vista crashed

I completely understand you were just jumping in and trying to help and I appreciate. 1st I am not running in adminstrator mode if it says adminstrator at the top of the command prompt? If not I want to make sure I understand the explanation you sent me I am obviously not able to get to the download on Method one and it looks like method 2 I need to get to windows explorer which I can't access either. Do I need to use the download in method one and download it onto a disk then load that disk into the troubled computer. That may be a problem because I can only get to the command prompt with the recovery disk I made.
Lastly am I not already running in adminstrator mode if that is what it says in the title of the command prompt Adminstrator.x:windows\system32\cmd.exe-cmd? I appreciate the help.

My Computer

To be honest I have never accessed the cmd prompt using the method that you describe. As far as I know, by the cursor, it should say system32, for you use as administrator. If it says your name as a user, this it not the elevated command prompt that we need. When I access the elevated prompt in the usual manner it does not say adminstator, it just shows system 32.
Based upon what you are telling me that shortcut is not going to be available to you.
The elevated command prompt may not be accessible either. I do not know where you see the word administrator. I do not see it on mine, when I access in the normal manner.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Intergrated 7.1 Channel Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2009W 20 inch Flat Panel w Webcam
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Dell USB 4 button optical
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I accessed the command prompt by clicking on that option after hitting fix my computer which takes me to system recovery menu where I chose command prompt. My screen says x:\sources> with the blinking cursor after that. Where I see adminstrator.x:\windows\system32\cmd.exe is to the left on the bar where the minus sign is to minimize the screen

My Computer

You have the elevated command prompt. Rather than x it should say c (assuming that is the drive you want to check)
The SFC should work (if it said c)
If you want to check D drive then in lieu of c it should say D.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
I did type with the space in there on the d: but I still get the windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation.

My Computer

The only thing that I can think of is that the SFC command was affected by the crash.
I think that I said it way back, but if you have the DVD you can do a repair install or buy and install 7. Your documents can be saved.
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
Think about what I have said, then tomorrow you continue to talk to Lorien but then the decision has to be yours. Lorien and I just present our ideas, its your computer and your decision.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS420
    Memory
    6 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD3650 256 MB
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
    640 gb
    Cooling
    Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell USB
    Mouse
    Other Info
    DSL provided by ATT
@Richard: thanks for the helpful assistance in my absence. Please continue to offer anything you believe might help as it seems that we are approaching the drastic step of a clean installation and though I'd like to avoid that, I'm not seeing very many alternatives at this stage.

@jerm1,

It always works from the Neosmart Recovery disk if you cd to D:\Windows\System32 (I'm saying D: because that's apparently where Vista is on this machine - ???) and then run it. That plus running it with that disk makes it run in elevated mode. I've done it and had it done hundreds of times before and never had this problem (except where I couldn't access the hard drive at all). I cannot understand why it is not working in this case.

I think the problem is that we somehow still aren't in D:\ though I can't understand how that can be and yet you can get to those folders and that command (and a dir command lists all sorts of files and directories - much more than would be on the disk so I don't think it's a dir of the disk). I'm also beginning to think that the hard drive may have failed to the point that it isn't functioning even with basic commands (though it seems to respond to dir - though that may be coming from the disk, but sfc may be too much for it).

Please try again to get to D:\Windows\System32\> to run the command. Remember, no space after the > and the command is sfc /scannow and then you enter. If you get the same error message, type chkdsk /f /r and then enter and see what happens. If it asks you to run on the next restart answer yes and then remove the cd and reboot.

If that doesn't work, then perhaps we need to go with Richard's suggestion to save the data using Ubuntu (or slaving the drive to another computer) and then try a repair installation or a clean installation or a restore to factory conditions. I'm still not clear on what you are planning to use to restore the system - you can't do a repair install, clean install or a restore to factory conditions with the Neosmart Recovery Disk. You need an installation disk that contains the operating system. To do a repair install, you need a genuine Vista installation disk and you need to be able to boot to the system (and since you can't boot to the system, I think that leaves us with a clean install). Can you please tell me how you would do that if it is required?

Thanks and good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
I appreciate the help of both of you guys since I am really not sure how much of this works or should be done. I tried running the scan on the d: again and got the same message. I then ran chkdsk and got this the type of file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THE VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. Would you like to force a dismount on the this volume? I believe if I run this and take the disk out I get the same error I get when I try to install Vista which is:first the step by step instruction rich sent me to say I can't boot with the DVD I am supposed to already have Vista running, I can't get to the install screen without having the DVD already installed. 2nd the error message comes up after saying no to adding a product key:installation was cancelled-Windows can't open the required file E:\Sources\install.wim. The file doesn't exist. Mare sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code:0x80070002.

Is the chkdsk command entered like so chkdsk space/f/r? Or are there more spaces in there?
I have a system recovery dvd for vista home premium that I believe was sent with the computer when purchased, unfortunately I don't have an install disk because vista was pre-installed when the HP was purchased.

P.S. I just re-ran scan and something different happend but it doesn't look like it scanned. It looks like I just got an explanation of many different scan options. I don't have a flash drive at this point so I am typing most of it.
/scannow scans integrity of all protected system files
/verifyonly scans integrity of all protected system files. No repair
then goes on to explain some other scan options. At the end it looks like this
sfc /scannow
sfc /verifyfile=c:\windows\system32\kerne132.dll
sfc /scanfile=d:\windows\system32\kerne132.dll/offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows
sfc \verifyonly
d:\windows\system32>
I went throug with the chkdsk and had it run after a restart with out the CD in and got an error message that windows could not complete installation. To install Windows on this computer , restart in the installation.

Last edited:

My Computer

Back