How Can I Install Two Failed Updates?

Why will Win 7 become less useful next month?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Why will Win 7 become less useful next month?
If someone asks a question in a 3-year-old thread about Windows updates for Vista, it would naturally be you inquiring about a different OS. For those who would never want to use the world’s most popular browser or antivirus, and who don’t care how long it’s been since their OS or browser has received any security updates, nothing will change next month, so relax and enjoy the holidays! However, a time is fast approaching when only a handful of diehards will be running anything older than Windows 10.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
I asked about Win 7 because I have two computers which are running it.
I don't know what the most popular browser is but I'm running the Chrome browser, albeit it's out of date, on this system and FireFox, which is continuously updated, on the other two.
I'm running Norton 360 (continuously updated) on all 3 systems and malwarebytes pro on this one. Malwarebytes decided to continue supporting Vista even though they had previously announced they would no longer support Vista or Win 7. I guess money talks.

When this system finally craps out, I'll likely go to Win 11, as you surmised. I say that because I want a desktop not a lap top or workstation, as the other two are.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
II don't know what the most popular browser is...
Google Chrome by a mile (certainly not the Chinese derivative that you installed on Vista not long ago). See Sunsetting support for Windows 7 / 8/8.1 in early 2023 - Google Chrome Community. An interesting question is how much longer Mozilla will even exist, but they are also making plans to end support for Windows 7 and 8.1.
...Malwarebytes decided to continue supporting Vista even though they had previously announced they would no longer support Vista...
I must disagree because your statement might be misleading to others. It is not possible to install a recent version of Malwarebytes (or Norton) on Vista, therefore they do not “support” Vista in the usual sense of that term. With respect to the old version you are using on Vista, they are merely providing definition updates in exchange for cash. The world’s most trusted antivirus protection is actually Microsoft, but it’s too late to recommend it for Windows 7 or Vista.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Hate to tell you-

norton security subscription verification.JPG
malwarebytes subscription status.JPG

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
As I was saying, your Malwarebytes Premium is version 3.5.1 (see upper left corner of screenshot), which was released May 8, 2018. Why haven’t you installed a more recent version? Because Malwarebytes ended support for Windows XP and Vista in 2018. If you were using a version of Avast Free that was released in 2018, you could actually receive definitions for free. I was never the least bit interested in Norton, but if you know how to find the version number and compare it to the version on your Windows 7, I’m certain you will find that it is not the same version...

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
As I was saying, your Malwarebytes Premium is version 3.5.1 (see upper left corner of screenshot), which was released May 8, 2018. Why haven’t you installed a more recent version? Because Malwarebytes ended support for Windows XP and Vista in 2018. If you were using a version of Avast Free that was released in 2018, you could actually receive definitions for free. I was never the least bit interested in Norton, but if you know how to find the version number and compare it to the version on your Windows 7, I’m certain you will find that it is not the same version...
As I mentioned, Malwarebytes decided to continue supporting Vista and Win 7 after they announced they would no longer do that. I had numerous conversations with malwarebytes about the version and the efficacy of the updates to get confidence I was protected using 3.5.1. I got a two-year subscription to Premium in 2021. I really don't care about Ransomware. Same with Norton. They/ve got five free add-ons and two for pay add-ons that I could but don't use. I don't really wring my hands over all this security stuff. I told Norton that all the pop-ups about these add-ons were a pain in the ass. Probably, installing all the add-ons would be a bigger pain in everyday use.

Note that when you buy 360 Deluxe, you can install it on up to 5 computers. The same installation file and serial number is used for each device. It's quite possible that when it installs it uses different files to accomodate differences in the OS. It continues to add updates in either OS.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
As I mentioned, Malwarebytes decided to continue supporting Vista...
As I mentioned, Malwarebytes does not “support” Vista.
I must disagree because your statement might be misleading to others. It is not possible to install a recent version of Malwarebytes (or Norton) on Vista, therefore they do not “support” Vista in the usual sense of that term.
There is no point in debating this further with someone who regards the availability of definitions for a very old version as proof that their legacy OS is still “supported” by a software vendor. I’m mainly here to ensure that no one is given any bad advice, for example: you can still use Vista in 2023, just buy Malwarebytes Premium because they still support Vista. I will always challenge any rubbish like that!
Same with Norton...
As I mentioned,
I was never the least bit interested in Norton...
You have been posting about Norton for as long as I can remember, but I don’t think you ever convinced a single person to buy Norton. I certainly never will, so I’m not sure who you’re trying to convince.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
System requirements for Malwarebytes for Windows does not mention anything older than Windows 7 SP1, and even Windows 7 needs a certain Windows update from 2019. But as I mentioned, the version you are using on Vista was released in May 2018.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
I used Norton Security v22.15.x (Norton's legacy version for Win XP and Vista) on my Vista SP2 machine until 2019 when I purchased a Win 10 laptop. I would purchase a spare Norton 360 product key on sale at a local retailer like Staples or Best Buy and keep it on hand until my annual subscription needed to be renewed, and never paid more than $21.99 CAD (~$16 USD) for a 1-Year 5-device license. I personally felt that Norton was a much better choice for me than the legacy AVG Free v18.8 because Norton had advanced protection features (e.g., anti-exploit, anti-ransomware, Intrusion Prevention, etc.), still received vulnerability updates and compatibility fixes described in the Jan 2022 support article Maintenance Mode for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 SP0 for Norton Security Software (e.g., for an updated Intrusion Prevention engine IPSEng32.dll), and came with a top-notch Norton Smart Firewall. The current product update for the legacy version of Norton is v22.15.5.0 (rel. 24-Sep-2020) and if I were still using this legacy product I wouldn't be overly concerned that there hasn't been a product update in a few years, given that the Win XP and Vista operating systems are unsupported and no longer undergo major changes, while the "regular" Norton v22.22.x products for Win 7 SP1 and higher receive regular updates for OS changes (e.g., Win 11 v22H2 compatibility) and new "bells and whistles" like Norton Smart Scan, Norton Software Updater, Norton Crypto (thankfully discontinued in Sept 2022) and other bloat that many Norton 360 users neither need nor want.

Current Norton 360 licenses are multi-device (PC, Mac, mobile devices) and normally allow installation on 3 to 5 (Deluxe license) or 10 (Premium license) devices, so if you own more than one device like wither3 and already use Norton 360 v22.22.x on your newer devices then you can install the legacy version of Norton v22.15.x on your Win XP or Vista machines at no extra cost.

I currently use Microsoft Defender as the main antivirus on my Win 10 laptop but also run Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.x in real-time protection mode. I have turned OFF the Malwarebytes setting at Settings | Security | Windows Security Center | Always Register Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center, which ensures that Microsoft Defender (or whatever third-party antivirus you prefer to use) is registered with Windows as my main real-time antivirus and has the primary responsibility for malware detection and remediation, while Malwarebytes Premium will essentially work as a "backup" to look for any potential threats missed by my antivirus. I purchased a few lifetime (perpetual) licenses for Malwarebytes Premium several years ago (sadly, Malwarebytes stopped selling these lifetime licenses in March 2014) so there is no extra cost to run Malwarebytes Premium on my Win 10 laptop

I rarely boot up my old Vista SP2 laptop these days and didn't see the need to continue paying ~ $20 for an annual Norton 360 license - other than Norton VPN, most of the features that Norton has added to their Norton 360 product line in recent years is useless bloat so I don't feel I need Norton 360 on my Win 10 laptop. I currently use Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1 (the legacy version for Win XP and Vista) for real-time protection on my Vista SP2 laptop, and this is another lifetime license so I don't have to pay an annual fee to use this product. If this Vista SP2 machine is booted up I will briefly connect to the internet to update the Malwarebytes malware protection definitions (i.e., virus definitions, web protection, anti-exploit, etc.) and then disconnect again.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, 256 GB WD SATA HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

-----------
64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.2251 * Firefox v108.0.0 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.2211.5-1.1.19900.2 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.19.229-1.0.1860
Dell Inspiron 15 5584, Intel i5-8265U CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB Toshiba KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD, Intel UHD Graphics 620

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
When my subscription is expiring, I go to Amazon and buy a new subscription. It's much cheaper than buying it through Norton.
I'm not purposely pushing Norton. I've used it since 1990 when i purchased my first PC. What I like about it is that it does it's job without being overly intrusive.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Since we’re reminiscing about Norton: When I brought home my awesome new Windows Vista PC in the spring of 2008, the very first thing I did was completely remove a free trial of Norton so I could install AVG Free, which was a good alternative in those days. I’m sure that Norton has advised users running Windows XP or Vista that they should upgrade to a supported version of Windows, but I guess we don’t take Norton’s advice that seriously around here. :cool:

It sounds like wither3 has used nothing but Norton (and Malwarebytes) for 32 years! If you want an antivirus that does its job without being intrusive, that sounds like Microsoft to me. If you heard that Microsoft’s protection wasn’t very good, that’s because you heard it before Windows 10 was released in 2015. By 2016 I was happily using MSE on Vista and recommending it to others. Those were the good old days! But it’s too late now to recommend MSE for those who are determined to keep running Vista or even Windows 7. :(

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
You never did directly answer my question in post 21.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Thanks. These holidays will be a lot better because my girl wasn't able to get around this time last year and she can this year.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB