how long should i turn on my pc

kiddieboy12

sloowlag
ok. i want to download stuff, nature pictures and nice hd pcitures of famous landmarls. but it a very big file. i want to ask how long is RECOMMENDED to turn on my pc. when i look into task manager, in the preformance tab. i see that the average time i turn it on is about 7 hours. 3-10pm . Once i went ppass the 72hour mark. is it safe? this should be a big topic

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    amd 64x2 4200+ 2.2ghz per core
    Motherboard
    ECS NETTLE
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvdia 6150se nforce 430(old rig, upgrading)
    Sound Card
    reltrek hd audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    hp w1907
    Screen Resolution
    1440x968/1024x768
    Hard Drives
    320gb
    PSU
    upgrading, Coolmax CA-450 450watts
    Case
    hp casing
    Cooling
    defult..
    Keyboard
    hp
    Mouse
    hp
    Internet Speed
    768kbps down and 128 up...very slow..
    Other Info
    not great compared to other people..
You can leave your pc turned on for as ong as you want.
Most people dont power down at all now just put the PC to sleep.
If you are downloading overnight (Must be a large file:sarc:) then turn off the monitor.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
yea. unlik e ur rig. look at mines. it a peice of bull **** made in 2006. i dont think it has enought cooling

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    ECS NETTLE
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    reltrek hd audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    hp w1907
    Screen Resolution
    1440x968/1024x768
    Hard Drives
    320gb
    PSU
    Case
    hp casing
    Cooling
    defult..
    Keyboard
    hp
    Mouse
    hp
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
yea. unlik e ur rig. look at mines. it a peice of bull **** made in 2006. i dont think it has enought cooling

i have ....

compaQ presario cQ60 notebook pc

i had it since christmas i have only ever turned it off 3 time since then it allwise gets left on..i sure your pc would be alright to be honest..if not it would went down route 69 before now,,,,dont panic just leave it on get your files mate..when i had my pc i done what roy said turn off the screen just leave it :)

My Computer

i always have left my computers on.... i would not worry about it...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Myself
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 920
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    6gb MUSHKIN DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    TWO x EVGA NVidia GTX 285
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Extreme
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24inch 2ms LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    4 x OCZ Vertex 60GB, 1 x Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    PSU
    Corsair 1000W
    Case
    Coolermaster HAF 932
    Cooling
    Water cooled
    Keyboard
    Saitek Cyborg Deluxe
    Mouse
    Microsoft Regular USB w/wheel
    Internet Speed
    Cable 15mbps
I heard that turning you computer off multiple times a day can actually wear down your computer and make the lifetime go down...I have a laptop. If this is true, would it be better to leave it on for longer periods because I shut my laptop completely off multiple times a day. I also heard it was good to turn your computer off about once a week to give the computer a reboot.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite A215-S4757
    Memory
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon® X1200 128MB-319MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.4” diagonal widescreen TruBrite®TFT LCD display at 1280x800 native resolution (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
    250GB (4200RPM); Serial ATA hard disk drive
ok. but should i put it to sleep mode?

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    ECS NETTLE
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    reltrek hd audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    hp w1907
    Screen Resolution
    1440x968/1024x768
    Hard Drives
    320gb
    PSU
    Case
    hp casing
    Cooling
    defult..
    Keyboard
    hp
    Mouse
    hp
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
ok. i want to download stuff, nature pictures and nice hd pcitures of famous landmarls. but it a very big file. i want to ask how long is RECOMMENDED to turn on my pc. when i look into task manager, in the preformance tab. i see that the average time i turn it on is about 7 hours. 3-10pm . Once i went ppass the 72hour mark. is it safe? this should be a big topic
First off, yes. You can leave your computer on all you want (as others have said). This means you could never turn it off, never use sleep mode, never reboot. Remember though, the longer Windows runs, the more errors it accumulates. It is good to flush it every now and then with a reboot.
As for a RECOMMENDED time? Well, how much electricity are you willing to pay for to run it?

Also, your computer - in terms of cooing - will be fine. To cause any heat damage, it is not length of time, but heat. In order for it to accumulate the amount of heat needed to damage it, you would have to have it in a practically sealed environment. You will be fine there as long as you have a few fans.

As for sleep mode: You don't need to. All sleep mode does is save power.

@shortmanstuff: (nice name, my gf is really short ;))
I don't know about wearing it down. I know OCing will shorten the life, but thats because of more stress. If you wanted to test this, you would need to measure the startup spike to see how much stress it causes on the parts. You are right on the second part (rebooting) as I mentioned above.

Kiddieboy, once again, try and keep your posts clean. They are a little hard to read with random spaces and IM language.

~Lordbob

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5QC
    Memory
    2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce 9500GT 1Gb
    Sound Card
    Mobo
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 206bw
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SP2514N ATA 250Gb 7200RPM
    Samsung [Model] 1Tb 7200RPM SATA2
    PSU
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W
    Keyboard
    Razer Tarantula
    Mouse
    Razer Lachesis
    Internet Speed
    not fast enough
First off, yes. You can leave your computer on all you want (as others have said). This means you could never turn it off, never use sleep mode, never reboot. Remember though, the longer Windows runs, the more errors it accumulates. It is good to flush it every now and then with a reboot.
As for a RECOMMENDED time? Well, how much electricity are you willing to pay for to run it?

Also, your computer - in terms of cooing - will be fine. To cause any heat damage, it is not length of time, but heat. In order for it to accumulate the amount of heat needed to damage it, you would have to have it in a practically sealed environment. You will be fine there as long as you have a few fans.

As for sleep mode: You don't need to. All sleep mode does is save power.

@shortmanstuff: (nice name, my gf is really short ;))
I don't know about wearing it down. I know OCing will shorten the life, but thats because of more stress. If you wanted to test this, you would need to measure the startup spike to see how much stress it causes on the parts. You are right on the second part (rebooting) as I mentioned above.

Kiddieboy, once again, try and keep your posts clean. They are a little hard to read with random spaces and IM language.

~Lordbob

Lordbob,

What exactly is OCing? And how would I test the spikes? Is their a program to do this?

Thanks. I like my name, too. By the way, it's Shortmantuff, not shortmanstuff. No s in the middle :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Memory
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.4” diagonal widescreen TruBrite®TFT LCD display at 1280x800 native resolution (WXGA)
    Hard Drives
Also Lordbob (or anyone else that cares to answer), another quick question for you. I have a laptop. Do you think it is better to just use the AC adapter (charger) without the battery in it while I'm using it to save the batteries lifespan, or do you think I should just keep my battery in at all times and just charge it while still using it? I heard charging your battery while your using it can really wear down your battery. Is this true?

A little off topic. SORRY!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Memory
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
Also, would you suggest me keeping my laptop on overnight and such then, or should I continue to just turn it off at night?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Memory
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
yea. i understand. i somtimes do dat too. lol

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    ECS NETTLE
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    reltrek hd audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    hp w1907
    Screen Resolution
    1440x968/1024x768
    Hard Drives
    320gb
    PSU
    Case
    hp casing
    Cooling
    defult..
    Keyboard
    hp
    Mouse
    hp
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
Also Lordbob (or anyone else that cares to answer), another quick question for you. I have a laptop. Do you think it is better to just use the AC adapter (charger) without the battery in it while I'm using it to save the batteries lifespan, or do you think I should just keep my battery in at all times and just charge it while still using it? I heard charging your battery while your using it can really wear down your battery. Is this true?

A little off topic. SORRY!

Overclocking is basically, taking a processor, meant to run at (for example) 2.0ghz clock speed...and pushing it further then factory...to say 3.0ghz clock speed.

Doing this, can increase performance in games and responsiveness of programs (CPU Intensive programs) Going TOO far, can also damage equipment (CPU, Motherboard, and sometimes memory)

Monitoring temperatures (CPU Temperatures) and checking for stability by overclocking in small increments and running stress test programs like Intels burn test, or Prime95 (Most popular) even though Intels Burn test is suppose to be the most stressful, i prefer that over Prime95.

There are some people who overclock for the thrill... these people have money to burn and are bored (LOL) I believe there are some OLD Pentium 4's out there overclocked too the max (6 & 7ghz i believe... stock is around 1.5ghz) They cool the CPU with liquid nitrogen setups...crazy stuff...but at 7ghz clock speed... those old P4's are running right up there with the new Core i7's no problem...

A safe overclock, with good temperatures, and good cooling.. can last just as long as the stock CPU under stock conditions... extreme OC'ing generally does shorten the lifespan of the CPU but not by too much... super extreme..well i think those guys just aim for a benchmark to measure their e-ego with :party:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Myself
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 920
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    6gb MUSHKIN DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Extreme
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24inch 2ms LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    4 x OCZ Vertex 60GB, 1 x Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black
    PSU
    Corsair 1000W
    Case
    Coolermaster HAF 932
    Cooling
    Water cooled
    Keyboard
    Saitek Cyborg Deluxe
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable 15mbps
Addressing the OP...

Leaving your PC on at night does not harm anything... I have had my PC on for over a month before...no problems... I do not use Sleep mode, or Hibernation...i just hit the power button for the monitor, and go to sleep. An occasional reboot is good to clear out memory dump files, and clear things out.

Run disk defrag religiously... I do it once a week. Always do it if you have deleted ALOT of files at once.... this keeps the file system in tip top shape (Organizing, and putting files back where they should be...)

Though Windows has advanced immensley over the years.. a computer is kind of like a toddler with a box full of toys... when it is up and playing, it takes every toy out, and leaves them scattered throughout the house... your hard drive picks up files, uses them, then just puts them back real quick to pick up more and move them around... it never really puts them back in a neat and tidy way... thus when you got a mess, from the toddlers toys all over, it is hard to walk around with everything scattered about...

just like that it is now hard for the Hard drive to find things, because its constantly having to look for files that are not where they are suppose to be...defragmenting tells the Hard drive to clean up its toys and puttem back where they are in a neat and organized fashion... this is called Defragmentation.

hope that helps...

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Myself
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 920
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    6gb MUSHKIN DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Extreme
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24inch 2ms LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 1000W
    Case
    Coolermaster HAF 932
    Cooling
    Water cooled
    Keyboard
    Saitek Cyborg Deluxe
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable 15mbps
I ask again, please post with the most correct english you know (I understand we have Non-english speakers, but still).

@Shortmantuff: Sorry about the S. It was late, I was tired, and I still am not working completely normally again. :\
About the battery: If it is a Li-ion (Lithium Ion) battery, then every charge will deplete it a little. A good practice is to charge it when it needs it, but every two weeks or a month run it to the ground. A Li-ion battery is like a muscle (except that you cant add to it). You need to work it out to keep it in shape, or it will lose its power. Same goes for iPods, phones, anything else that uses a Li-ion battery.

@SMOKKINU: I believe the WR OC on a P4 is something around 8? But I don't know for sure.

~Lordbob

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P5QC
    Memory
    2x2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia GeForce 9500GT 1Gb
    Sound Card
    Mobo
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung SyncMaster 206bw
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SP2514N ATA 250Gb 7200RPM
    Samsung [Model] 1Tb 7200RPM SATA2
    PSU
    Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W
    Keyboard
    Razer Tarantula
    Mouse
    Razer Lachesis
    Internet Speed
    not fast enough
I ask again, please post with the most correct english you know (I understand we have Non-english speakers, but still).

@SMOKKINU: I believe the WR OC on a P4 is something around 8? But I don't know for sure.

~Lordbob

8ghz? Man... those guys are nuts hahahaha....

And yean kiddieboy12... you've been asked numerous times to type in a coherent fashion... what is with todays youth? (I am 28, but wow) it is bad enough today they speak like they have no education, but then carry over the ebonics and jive over into actual typing? *shaking head*

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Myself
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 920
    Motherboard
    ASUS P6T Deluxe
    Memory
    6gb MUSHKIN DDR3 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster Extreme
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS 24inch 2ms LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 1000W
    Case
    Coolermaster HAF 932
    Cooling
    Water cooled
    Keyboard
    Saitek Cyborg Deluxe
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable 15mbps
I have a laptop though. I cant really just turn off the monitor. Do you think it is better to leave my laptop plugged in without the battery, or to always leave my battery in and just recharge it when it needs it? (I always run my battery down, not to 0% but below 10%). I always run my laptop just using the AC Adapter and taking the battery out. Does this overheat the AC Adapter or do anything detrimental to it?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Memory
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
yea. i do that alot, i use smart defrag, what a great program

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    Motherboard
    ECS NETTLE
    Memory
    3 gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    reltrek hd audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    hp w1907
    Screen Resolution
    1440x968/1024x768
    Hard Drives
    320gb
    PSU
    Case
    hp casing
    Cooling
    defult..
    Keyboard
    hp
    Mouse
    hp
    Internet Speed
    Other Info
The main problem with laptop batteries is they remember how much of a charge they should hold. So if you are always using the mains they may get a small charge, overtime the battery will become useless as they will not know when they are fully charged.

I use the laptop on battery only until it powers down now and again to ensure that the charging process recharges the battery fully.

The main reason why people say turning on and off a computer is likly to shorten its life is because this is the most probable time that the conponents inside the PSU get an irregular power feed (as opposed to a steady current when the computer is in use). This is when the capacitors are more likely to blow.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 TI
    Sound Card
    creative x-fi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Primary CiBox 22" Widescreen LCD ,Secondary Dell 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    Both 1680 x 1050
    Hard Drives
    2 x 500G HD (SATA) 1 x 2TB USB
    PSU
    Corsair HX 620W ATX2.2 Modular SLI Complient PSU
    Case
    Antec 900 Ultimate Gaming Case
    Cooling
    3 x 80mm tri led front, 120mm side 120mm back, 200mm top
    Keyboard
    Logik
    Mouse
    Technika TKOPTM2
    Internet Speed
    288 / 4000
    Other Info
    Creative Inspire 7.1 T7900 Speakers
    Trust Graphics Tablet
Don't get me wrong. I still use the battery with my laptop because I take it to classes and after a 2 hour class, my battery is drained so I charge it when I get home. But I'm wondering if it's bad to use the AC Adapter a lot because usually when I'm at home, I take out the battery and use the AC Adapter to run the laptop.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Memory
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hard Drives
Back