I cannot download updates using Windows update

Vistaar

Vista Guru
...if you want all updates, see the links that have already been posted in this thread.
It occurs to me that this thread is already becoming difficult to read. In post #7 above I suggested Download links for all Vista SP2 32-bit and 64-bit updates from Windows Update. The downloads themselves would actually come from Microsoft, but of course the links will be broken if Microsoft removes the content as threatened.

In post #9, SIW2 suggested Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+), which would still work even if Microsoft removes the content because the repository is maintained by a third party. Of course Microsoft has already stated that secure hash algorithm 1 (SHA-1) is insecure, so there is a possibility that third-party downloads may have been tampered with. (The same possibility would exist for custom ISOs created by a third party.) Also, greenhillmaniac might not have the language you want (unless you speak Portuguese).

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

lmacri

Vista Pro
In post #9, SIW2 suggested Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+), which would still work even if Microsoft removes the content because the repository is maintained by a third party. Of course Microsoft has already stated that secure hash algorithm 1 (SHA-1) is insecure, so there is a possibility that third-party downloads may have been tampered with...

Hi xcrazyboy1992x:

Greenhilllmaniac's opening comments at Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+) state that "I've collected these updates a year ago, but only recently took the time to put them on my Mega account and organize them". If you view his repository on the MEGA server <here> you'll also see that the x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) folders have subfolders that include full .exe installers for both Service Pack 1 (KB936330, rel. March 2008) and Service Pack 2 (KB948465, rel. May 2009) that were downloaded back in 2019.

Have you tried posting in the thread Vista ISO Download? If I understood correctly, SIW2 has already created "fully updated" 32-bit and 64-bit ISOs that include SP1 and SP2 as well as the ~200 Vista security updates released between May 2009 (the release date of SP2) and the end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Internet Speed
    5 MBps
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365

Vistaar

Vista Guru
Have you tried posting in the thread Vista ISO Download? If I understood correctly, SIW2 has already created "fully updated" 32-bit and 64-bit ISOs that include SP1 and SP2 as well as the ~200 Vista security updates released between May 2009 (the release date of SP2) and the end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017.
I hope this forum has a good lawyer.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Vistaar

Vista Guru
As shown in post #20, the service packs are still available from the catalog at this time (not that Vista SP2 ISOs are hard to come by). As for the oodles of security updates issued while Vista was still under extended support, I would dare say that acquiring them from a third party is a greater risk than not having them at all - particularly for those who have no interest in patches released from May 2017 to January 2020. Old patches only protect against old threats, not current threats.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

Vistaar

Vista Guru
Someone might eventually ask about Platform Update. The standalone installer for IE9 would actually give you such Platform Update components as were required for that browser (and certain others, e.g. Pale Moon 27 x86) - but who actually cares about IE9 around here? If all you want to do is surf the net using Firefox 52 (which supported Windows XP) until your old hardware finally dies, then you don’t actually need Platform Update. Still, if someone asks about it, I will try to answer.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

erpster4

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 640m/e1405 laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33Ghz
    Memory
    4Gb (3.24Gb usable to OS)
    Sound Card
    Sigmatel/IDT STAC9200
    Internet Speed
    Spectrum Cable Internet up to 100Mbps
If that’s all you want, see this Catalog search. But if you want all updates, see the links that have already been posted in this thread. (I don’t plan on posting circa 200 download links here.)
So if download the SP2 through this catalog it will still install?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    • Intel® Core™ i5-4210U Processor @ 1.70 GHz.
    Motherboard
    ^3M Cache, up to 2.70GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3

Vistaar

Vista Guru

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

SIW2

Vista Guru
Gold Member
So if download the SP2 through this catalog it will still install?

It is probably simpler to do a clean install using updated SP2 media.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
It is probably simpler to do a clean install using updated SP2 media.
I got my hands on a SP2 Vista OEM in ebay but it's 32 bit, but at least is SP2. When you say media is that what you mean or any other bootleg media?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3

wither 3

Vista Guru
Gold Member
In other threads, we mentioned to you that Ex_Brit can give you a Vista ISO with SP2. You just have to tell him if you want 32 bit or 64 bit. In a new thread today, you said you have 64 bit so I don't know why you would install a 32 bit version of SP2.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
In other threads, we mentioned to you that Ex_Brit can give you a Vista ISO with SP2. You just have to tell him if you want 32 bit or 64 bit. In a new thread today, you said you have 64 bit so I don't know why you would install a 32 bit version of SP2.
Yeah, i i can see how that is confusing. But i got the 32 bit for older systems that i might come across. :cool:

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Win10
    Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba C55-B5256
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    8 GB DDR3

Vistaar

Vista Guru
Installing Windows 7 would simplify a wide range of problems (Windows Update, browser support, etc.)

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

19jmsr56

Hello. I recommend this link to anyone who wants to update Windows Vista SP2:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCxW4DXvK_s
There are all the necessary updates until April 11, 2017, in addition to the correction of certificates, TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2. , their installation is automated if you can work in Windows via the command line. Since the core of Windows Server 2008 is Vista, their support ended on January 14, 2020. This link contains updates to turn Vista into Server 2008: 2.95 GB folder on MEGA in addition, a functional modification of the .Net Framework to version 4.7.2. The disadvantage is that updates are installed manually. Microsoft has blocked update servers for Windows XP and Vista. However, it continues to release definitions for Windows Defender. You can download them on this link: Latest security intelligence updates for Microsoft Defender Antivirus and other Microsoft antimalware - Microsoft Security Intelligence I recommend doing it on a weekly basis.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer/ Extensa 5210
    CPU
    Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU [email protected] 1,60Ghz
    Motherboard
    Acer Dallen
    Memory
    DDR2 2560MB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family