I cannot download updates using Windows update

Vistaar

Vista Guru
...if you want all updates, see the links that have already been posted in this thread.
It occurs to me that this thread is already becoming difficult to read. In post #7 above I suggested Download links for all Vista SP2 32-bit and 64-bit updates from Windows Update. The downloads themselves would actually come from Microsoft, but of course the links will be broken if Microsoft removes the content as threatened.

In post #9, SIW2 suggested Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+), which would still work even if Microsoft removes the content because the repository is maintained by a third party. Of course Microsoft has already stated that secure hash algorithm 1 (SHA-1) is insecure, so there is a possibility that third-party downloads may have been tampered with. (The same possibility would exist for custom ISOs created by a third party.) Also, greenhillmaniac might not have the language you want (unless you speak Portuguese).

lmacri

Vista Pro
In post #9, SIW2 suggested Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+), which would still work even if Microsoft removes the content because the repository is maintained by a third party. Of course Microsoft has already stated that secure hash algorithm 1 (SHA-1) is insecure, so there is a possibility that third-party downloads may have been tampered with...

Hi xcrazyboy1992x:

Greenhilllmaniac's opening comments at Windows Vista Update Repository (until April 2017+) state that "I've collected these updates a year ago, but only recently took the time to put them on my Mega account and organize them". If you view his repository on the MEGA server <here> you'll also see that the x86 (32-bit) and x64 (64-bit) folders have subfolders that include full .exe installers for both Service Pack 1 (KB936330, rel. March 2008) and Service Pack 2 (KB948465, rel. May 2009) that were downloaded back in 2019.

Have you tried posting in the thread Vista ISO Download? If I understood correctly, SIW2 has already created "fully updated" 32-bit and 64-bit ISOs that include SP1 and SP2 as well as the ~200 Vista security updates released between May 2009 (the release date of SP2) and the end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017.
----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Vistaar

Vista Guru
Have you tried posting in the thread Vista ISO Download? If I understood correctly, SIW2 has already created "fully updated" 32-bit and 64-bit ISOs that include SP1 and SP2 as well as the ~200 Vista security updates released between May 2009 (the release date of SP2) and the end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017.
I hope this forum has a good lawyer.

Vistaar

Vista Guru
As shown in post #20, the service packs are still available from the catalog at this time (not that Vista SP2 ISOs are hard to come by). As for the oodles of security updates issued while Vista was still under extended support, I would dare say that acquiring them from a third party is a greater risk than not having them at all - particularly for those who have no interest in patches released from May 2017 to January 2020. Old patches only protect against old threats, not current threats.

Vistaar

Vista Guru
Someone might eventually ask about Platform Update. The standalone installer for IE9 would actually give you such Platform Update components as were required for that browser (and certain others, e.g. Pale Moon 27 x86) - but who actually cares about IE9 around here? If all you want to do is surf the net using Firefox 52 (which supported Windows XP) until your old hardware finally dies, then you don’t actually need Platform Update. Still, if someone asks about it, I will try to answer.