Solved Intel GMA driver for mobile failed and doesn't recover

Bacterius

Hello,
I recently encountered an error with my Intel GMA driver for mobile, which is quite unusual. I believe that happened after a game crash (somehow my whole computer got really slow for a couple of minutes after I force-rebooted the computer - out of options).

But since, it seems the driver can't recover from this error, as I can see two things happening :
- if I attempt to access my GMA configuration panel, it fails to respond, and if I kill the actual "tray" process, it comes back up properly, except it doesn't have a proper configuration - for instance, the listboxes with "refresh rate" are empty, same for resolution, ... somehow the driver couldn't load the presets.
- if I attempt to access the Windows Display Configuration, it fails with a "The system has started with the standard VGA driver", but still brings up the configuration panel with the options all messed up (-1, -1 screen resolution, ...).

I've been doing some screenshots to show you what happens in order to solve it more easily, however I fear it might not be as useful because my OS is in french :o.

capture1x.jpg

This is the failing driver configuration panel.

capture2i.jpg

This is the failing Windows Display Configuration.

capture3j.jpg

This is the configuration dialog box.

For some reason Windows tells me the driver is incompatible with my system (Vista x64), but it worked fine before. My diagnostic is that the driver is somewhat corrupted and incorrectly reports to the system that it can't run due to some incompatibility, so Vista starts the standard VGA display driver.

But I don't want that to happen. I tried to reboot, I downloaded the latest drivers but it didn't work, and the computer is having problems since then. I considered uninstalling the driver, doing some cleaning up, then reinstalling it, but I'm freaked out I should fail and the computer not be usable again. But if there is no issue, I'll have to do it though.

What do you think ? Has anyone ever encountered such a problem with his GMA (or possibly other) driver ?

My Computer

Hello Bacterius,
I would re-install the video driver first, as this is most likely to be at fault.
Un-install the old driver first, then install the new one, reboot when prompted and see if there is any improvement.

Hope this helps, good luck and post your results.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    QX9650 (black box) [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Premium
    Memory
    8GB-4x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR 2-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 x ASUS EAH 4870 X 2 (Quad)
    Sound Card
    Supreme FX 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Fujitsu Siemens 22inch flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    150 Gig WD Raptor
    300 Gig Maxtor
    300 Gig Maxtor, (External)
    PSU
    CoolerMaster 1000
    Case
    CoolerMaster N-Vidia stacker 830
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-U12P x 1x120mm fan, 6x120mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    20Mbps
    Other Info
    Audio FX Pro 5+1 gaming head set
Hello,
sorry for being so long to reply,
I tried to reinstall the driver twice, on the first attempt it didn't change anything and on the second attempt Vista would actually crash after displaying the Orb (the nice & shining Vista logo).

Being computerless, I finally decided to revert to factory settings (Dell makes it pretty easy and quick, and the drivers are even included :cool:), and now it works just fine, if not better.

Thanks again for your help, this forum is very useful and I appreciate it.

My Computer

Glad you got it fixed, good luck.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    QX9650 (black box) [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Premium
    Memory
    8GB-4x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR 2-1066