Is it possible to run Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron 15R-5537

Kharis Kurian

Hi,

Is it possible to run Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron 15R -5537 (which came with Windows 8). If it isn't, can you run Windows Vista on a computer that was built for Windows 8 or 10? I am currently dual booting 7 and 10 and want to downgrade Windows 7 to Vista.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 10 x64

Vistaar

Vista Guru
Welcome to Vista Forums Kharis Kurian. It appears that Inspiron 15R 5537 shipped with various Intel processors, but it probably doesn't matter which exact processor you have because they were all "4th generation" with Haswell microarchitecture. Unfortunately, Windows Vista is known not to work properly on Haswell or later: Vista needs Ivy Bridge or earlier Intel microarchitecture. Windows 7 is the oldest OS that could be recommended. True, Microsoft will end extended support for Windows 7 in January 2020, but software support is still excellent. You could probably find old hardware suitable for Vista, but you would only be able to use outdated browsers (Chrome 49, Firefox 52, IE9), and Vista No Longer Supported by Most Security Software.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT