Is it possible to run Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron 15R-5537

Hi,

Is it possible to run Windows Vista on a Dell Inspiron 15R -5537 (which came with Windows 8). If it isn't, can you run Windows Vista on a computer that was built for Windows 8 or 10? I am currently dual booting 7 and 10 and want to downgrade Windows 7 to Vista.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 11 x64 and Windows 7 x64
Welcome to Vista Forums Kharis Kurian. It appears that Inspiron 15R 5537 shipped with various Intel processors, but it probably doesn't matter which exact processor you have because they were all "4th generation" with Haswell microarchitecture. Unfortunately, Windows Vista is known not to work properly on Haswell or later: Vista needs Ivy Bridge or earlier Intel microarchitecture. Windows 7 is the oldest OS that could be recommended. True, Microsoft will end extended support for Windows 7 in January 2020, but software support is still excellent. You could probably find old hardware suitable for Vista, but you would only be able to use outdated browsers (Chrome 49, Firefox 52, IE9), and Vista No Longer Supported by Most Security Software.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Welcome to Vista Forums Kharis Kurian. It appears that Inspiron 15R 5537 shipped with various Intel processors, but it probably doesn't matter which exact processor you have because they were all "4th generation" with Haswell microarchitecture. Unfortunately, Windows Vista is known not to work properly on Haswell or later: Vista needs Ivy Bridge or earlier Intel microarchitecture. Windows 7 is the oldest OS that could be recommended. True, Microsoft will end extended support for Windows 7 in January 2020, but software support is still excellent. You could probably find old hardware suitable for Vista, but you would only be able to use outdated browsers (Chrome 49, Firefox 52, IE9), and Vista No Longer Supported by Most Security Software.

Is it the processor or the motherboard that is the issue? I have seen reports where people say they have it running on more recent socket motherboards.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
I got Vista running on the Dell but it doesn’t detect networks

are you using a built-in Wifi adapter on that Dell Inspiron 15r 5537 laptop? if so what kind?
it will be tough to find Vista compatible wireless drivers for that model since Dell only has Win10 based Wifi/WLAN drivers

maybe buy a usb wifi adapter that has available vista drivers

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 640m/e1405 laptop
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo T7600 2.33Ghz
    Memory
    4Gb (3.24Gb usable to OS)
    Sound Card
    Sigmatel/IDT STAC9200
    Internet Speed
    Spectrum Cable Internet up to 100Mbps
Upgrading Vista to 7 makes more sense if you’re using a Haswell processor.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
I recently installed Windows Vista via Easy2Boot. I don't get the BSOD anymore. It still doesn't detect networks.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows 11 x64 and Windows 7 x64
Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard