Is There A Way To Get Windows Live Mail Working Again?

mollytown

I have recently had an old Vista Laptop of mine repaired. The laptop came with Windows Live Mail pre-installed and this was my main email client. After coming back to this machine after all these years I now found that I can’t sign in anymore it just gives me “Sorry, we were unable to sign you in to Windows Live ID at this time. Please try again later”. Now I know that Microsoft ended their support but I found examples of people who are still able to get theirs working and there is also a project to get Microsoft working on modern systems, so I was wondering if there is a way to get Live Mail working. I tried updating the certificates as suggested through this link but that didn’t work. I also attempted installing a third party legacy update but that not only failed to install but also caused more problems. So what would be the best way to go about this? I am sure there must be a way because it seems that there are people who still use it.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista
Try this,

Close Windows Live Mail.

Run Regedit.exe as an Administrator and scroll down to,

Computer \ HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows Live Mail

Create the following 3 DWORD entries, OR change them to 1 if they exist in the above location.

RecreateFolderIndex = 1
RecreateStreamIndex = 1
RecreateUIDLIndex = 1

Restart Windows and open Windows Live Mail. The message display should go back to normal, and the 3 values in the registry are reset to 0. Leave them as is.

Please inform me if this resolved your issue(s).

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19045 Build 19045
    Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire TC-885
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 6 Core(s)
    Motherboard
    Acer Aspire TC-885
    Memory
    12 GB DDR4
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 Integrated
    Sound Card
    TOPPING D10 USB DAC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG GSM5B55
    Screen Resolution
    HDMI 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Micron M550 MTFDDAV256MAM 250GB SATA SSD
    Seagate ST2000DM006-2DM164 2TB SATA HDD
    PSU
    RaidMax Vortex 535 Watt
    Case
    Acer Aspire Mini Tower
    Cooling
    Stock intel core i5 HS Fan Assy
    Keyboard
    105 Key HID Keyboard Device
    Mouse
    Microsoft 3 Button Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    DOCSIS 3.0 200Mbps
    Other Info
    Built by Doc's Computer Services, LLC
Welcome to Vista Forums pcdocstl. I appreciate that you created an account here just to answer this difficult question. Have you ever tried that solution on Vista with Windows Live Mail 2009 and IE9? Original poster mollytown posted this link last night in another thread, so has at least seen those instructions before. IllurionGray posted those instructions as a solution to a problem with WLM 2012 on Windows 10 following a March 2021 Windows update.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT