Can’t Use Browsers After Attempting to install legacyupdate for Windows Vista

mollytown

I have been attempting to get my Windows Live Mail program working again but it doesn’t seem to be able to sig me in. I was told that updating the certificates and installing legacyupdate for Vista would solve this. However, instead it failed to install giving error code 82 and now none of my web browsers seem to be able to con to the internet. They just get stuck in an infinite loop and never load any page. There also seems to be more updates for Windows essentials and such but they also won’t install. How can I solve this issue?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista
After looking into this more it seems that none of my online programs can connect to the Internet, they all hang or crash in the process. What could causing this? This might be more than just a browser or email issue now, that legacy update seems to have screwed up my entire Internet connection and networking.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista
Hi mollytown:

Please read the June 2016 Guardian article Microsoft is Killing Off Windows Live Mail – What Should I Do?, which states in part "Windows Live Mail 2012 does not support the new APIs (applications programming interfaces) required to provide full synchronisation with Outlook.com. Microsoft could update Windows Live Mail 2012, but instead, it has asked users to switch to a different email program..."

Also note that Microsoft deactivated the Windows Update servers for unsupported operating systems like Win XP and Vista that do not support SHA-2 code signing on August 3, 2020. See the Microsoft support article Windows Update SHA-1 Based Endpoints Discontinued for Older Windows Devices for more information and examples of typical error messages Win XP and Vista users will now see if they try to run Windows Update.

What is the make / model of your computer, and have you been using this Vista computer on a regular basis or has it been sitting unused for a long period of time? What edition of Windows Vista do you use (e.g., 64-bit Vista Ultimate, etc.), is Vista Service Pack 2 installed (check at Control Panel | System and Security | System), and do you know if the operating system is patched to the end of extended support (11-Apr-2017)? What is the name and version number of the browsers that are now unable to connect to the internet, and are you certain that they were working correctly before you attempted to install an old version of Windows Live Mail?

Please clarify what you mean by "installing legacyupdate for Vista". Are you referring to an old version of Windows Live Mail or Windows Essentials 2012, and if so where did you obtain that installer? I never used Windows Live Mail or installed Windows Essentials on my 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 machine (I always used the built-in Windows Mail program) so I might not be of much help to you, but if you haven't used this computer for a long time it's possible that your internet connection and browser problems have nothing to do with your failed update.

Vista System Information Service Pack Model Bit Architecture Jan 2018.png

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    32-bit Vista SP2 Home Premium
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Hard Drives
    250 GB SATA Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS 5400 rpm
    Other Info
    Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1-1.0.365 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Intel i5-8265U @1.60/1.80 GHz
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 256 GB KBG40ZNS256G NVMe SSD
    Other Info
    Microsoft Defender * Malwarebytes Premium * Firefox
Hi mollytown:

Please read the June 2016 Guardian article Microsoft is Killing Off Windows Live Mail – What Should I Do?, which states in part "Windows Live Mail 2012 does not support the new APIs (applications programming interfaces) required to provide full synchronisation with Outlook.com. Microsoft could update Windows Live Mail 2012, but instead, it has asked users to switch to a different email program..."

Also note that Microsoft deactivated the Windows Update servers for unsupported operating systems like Win XP and Vista that do not support SHA-2 code signing on August 3, 2020. See the Microsoft support article Windows Update SHA-1 Based Endpoints Discontinued for Older Windows Devices for more information and examples of typical error messages Win XP and Vista users will now see if they try to run Windows Update.

What is the make / model of your computer, and have you been using this Vista computer on a regular basis or has it been sitting unused for a long period of time? What edition of Windows Vista do you use (e.g., 64-bit Vista Ultimate, etc.), is Vista Service Pack 2 installed (check at Control Panel | System and Security | System), and do you know if the operating system is patched to the end of extended support (11-Apr-2017)? What is the name and version number of the browsers that are now unable to connect to the internet, and are you certain that they were working correctly before you attempted to install an old version of Windows Live Mail?

Please clarify what you mean by "installing legacyupdate for Vista". Are you referring to an old version of Windows Live Mail or Windows Essentials 2012, and if so where did you obtain that installer? I never used Windows Live Mail or installed Windows Essentials on my 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 machine (I always used the built-in Windows Mail program) so I might not be of much help to you, but if you haven't used this computer for a long time it's possible that your internet connection and browser problems have nothing to do with your failed update.

View attachment 31117
I am using a Toshiba Qosmio G40-10E and I have not been using for some time because the graphics was failing. Recently I have had the graphics chip repaired. It has Windows ultimate 32 bit operating system. I was using mypal, Firefox and oprea which were all working fine. The version of Live Mail I was trying to get working is the 2009 version it came with the laptop and has the details for my email address already on it.

By legacy update for vista I meant this
I attempted to install it along with update certificates for live Mail but I got the error message and then every browser stopped working.

Attachments

• IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 2

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista
By legacy update for vista I meant this ... I attempted to install it along with update certificates for live Mail but I got the error message and then every browser stopped working.

Hi mollytown:

What "update certificates for live Mail" do you mean, and did those certificates install correctly? I'm not familiar with Windows Live Mail 2009 and the only security certificates I know of that might be required by a Vista SP2 OS that is fully patched to 11-Apr-2017 are in the MicrosoftRootCertificateAuthority2011.cer file suggested by greenhillmaniac in mickey8811's 29-Mar-2020 MSFN thread Certificate Trust Provider Error Installing Updates, and even then those security certificates might only be required if you perform a clean reinstall of Vista SP2.

I have never heard of Legacy Update v1.6.2 so hopefully someone who is familiar with this tool will jump into this thread and provide feedback. In the mean time I suggest you uninstall this utility from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features if it is listed there and see if that helps. If you believe you are missing security updates released between May 2009 (the release date of Service Pack 2) and the end of Vista SP2 extended support on 11-Apr-2017 then you might want to try Dism++ v10.1.1002.1 (see SIW2’s 02-Dec-2021 instructions <here>) later on, but for now please don't run Dism++ or try to make any other changes to your Vista SP2 operating system until we've established why your browsers and other programs cannot connect to the internet.

What versions of Firefox and Mypal are you using? For example, are you using Firefox ESR v52.9.0 (the legacy extended support release for Win XP and Vista released 26-Jun-2018) and Mypal v68.12 (a modified Firefox 68 browser) that is currently offered at Mypal - Official Website? If you are already using these browser versions are you certain these browser were working correctly after your graphics chip was repaired?

Do you have a discrete graphics card (e.g., like the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS graphics card installed in my old HP dv6835ca Vista SP2 machine) or do you use the graphics GPU chip integrated on your motherboard, and how did you repair your graphics chip? For example, did you recently install a new graphics card or update your graphics driver, and are you certain your current browsers were working correctly before this repair?

If your Legacy Update v1.6.2 and/or certificate update managed to make changes to your Windows operating system after they were installed did you try restoring Windows Vista to a previous state using Windows' System Restore (see BleepingComputer's Windows Vista System Restore Guide for more information). I wouldn't try a system restore just yet until we know more information about your browser versions and graphics chip repair or you might create more problems than you already have.

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
Hi mollytown:

What "update certificates for live Mail" do you mean, and did those certificates install correctly? I'm not familiar with Windows Live Mail 2009 and the only security certificates I know of that might be required by a Vista SP2 OS that is fully patched to 11-Apr-2017 are in the MicrosoftRootCertificateAuthority2011.cer file suggested by greenhillmaniac in mickey8811's 29-Mar-2020 MSFN thread Certificate Trust Provider Error Installing Updates, and even then those security certificates might only be required if you perform a clean reinstall of Vista SP2.

I have never heard of Legacy Update v1.6.2 so hopefully someone who is familiar with this tool will jump into this thread and provide feedback. In the mean time I suggest you uninstall this utility from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features if it is listed there and see if that helps. If you believe you are missing security updates released between May 2009 (the release date of Service Pack 2) and the end of Vista SP2 extended support on 11-Apr-2017 then you might want to try Dism++ v10.1.1002.1 (see SIW2’s 02-Dec-2021 instructions <here>) later on, but for now please don't run Dism++ or try to make any other changes to your Vista SP2 operating system until we've established why your browsers and other programs cannot connect to the internet.

What versions of Firefox and Mypal are you using? For example, are you using Firefox ESR v52.9.0 (the legacy extended support release for Win XP and Vista released 26-Jun-2018) and Mypal v68.12 (a modified Firefox 68 browser) that is currently offered at Mypal - Official Website? If you are already using these browser versions are you certain these browser were working correctly after your graphics chip was repaired?

Do you have a discrete graphics card (e.g., like the NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS graphics card installed in my old HP dv6835ca Vista SP2 machine) or do you use the graphics GPU chip integrated on your motherboard, and how did you repair your graphics chip? For example, did you recently install a new graphics card or update your graphics driver, and are you certain your current browsers were working correctly before this repair?

If your Legacy Update v1.6.2 and/or certificate update managed to make changes to your Windows operating system after they were installed did you try restoring Windows Vista to a previous state using Windows' System Restore (see BleepingComputer's Windows Vista System Restore Guide for more information). I wouldn't try a system restore just yet until we know more information about your browser versions and graphics chip repair or you might create more problems than you already have.
These are the certificate updates that I installed they were said to fix the problems with Windows Live Mail

I don’t see any program related to the legacy update on programs and features but the legacy update did fail to install. I am using the latest version of mypal and Firefox 52.9.0 but as I have said they worked perfectly fine before I attempted the legacy update which is quite some time after the graphics chip repair. The web browsers were working fine before the repair as well. The graphics chip is the one that came with the motherboard though I think it might have been replaced when it was repaired.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista
Hi mollytown:

One other thing I forgot to ask. What antivirus, if any, are you running on your Vista SP2 computer and do you know if it still receives regular virus definition updates? Have you tried disabling your antivirus real-time protection (including any firewall built in to your antivirus) to see if this allows you to connect to the internet?

These are the certificate updates that I installed they were said to fix the problems with Windows Live Mail ...

... I am using the latest version of mypal and Firefox 52.9.0 but as I have said they worked perfectly fine before I attempted the legacy update which is quite some time after the graphics chip repair. The web browsers were working fine before the repair as well. The graphics chip is the one that came with the motherboard though I think it might have been replaced when it was repaired.

Hi mollytown:

I'm not sure who recommended you install a "Collection of all root and intermediate certification authorities on Windows 10 as of 2022-07-21 for import into older versions of Windows", but I doubt that's going to fix a problem with Windows Live Mail 2009 (or Windows Live Mail 2012, for that matter) on an unpatched Vista SP2 OS. Windows Live Mail isn't event listed in the "E-mail Clients" section of WinClient5270's recently updated Last Versions of Software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 in the MSFN Vista forum (an excellent reference if you're ever looking for Vista-compatible software). However, I'm not an expert when it comes to updating security certificates on unsupported operating systems.

Unless your entire motherboard was replaced I doubt your integrated graphics GPU that's on the same chip as your CPU processor was replaced. See the PC World article What the Heck is a Discrete Graphics Card Anyway? that explains the difference between discrete and integrated GPUs.

At this point I'm not sure if you inadvertently damaged your Windows operating system or if there's something wrong with your internet connection (e.g., like a corrupted driver for your network / WiFi card) that's preventing all programs from accessing the internet.

Since you can't open a browser and run the Ookla speed test at speedtest.net to test your internet connection I'd suggest you re-boot your router / modem as instructed in the Lifewire article How to Properly Restart a Router & Modem (e.g., unplug the power cable from the back of your modem, wait ~ 30 seconds, plug the power cable back in, and wait a few minutes for the modem to acquire a new connection to your ISP).

If that doesn't help then run a thorough Check Disk (chkdsk /r) of your C: drive from an elevated command prompt with Administrator rights to see if your disk has any bad sectors and/or if it can recovery any system files that might have been written to a bad sector. If you answer "Y" (yes) to scheduling the scan note that you will be prompted to restart your computer; once started, the scan might take a few hours to run to completion depending on the size of your hard drive.

Then run the built-in System File Checker tool (sfc /scannow) from an elevated command prompt to see if it can find and repair any missing or corrupted system files. If a System File Checker scan does not find any issues with your system files it will report that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" as shown below. Post back and let us know the exact message displayed if System File Checker reports a different result.

Vista SP2 System File Checker SFC Scannow EDITED 22 Jul 2019.png

If the modem re-boot, Check Disk and System File Checker scan don't help then you might want to publish a Speccy diagnostic so we can see some basic information about your system configuration. To use Speccy:
  1. Download the portable version of Piriform's free Speccy v1.32 utility (spsetup132.zip) from <here>, save the file to any location, and unzip.**
  2. Double-click the appropriate .exe file to launch the program (Speccy.exe for your 32-bit OS; Speccy64.exe for a 64-bit OS) and allow it to populate the interface with information about your system software and hardware.
  3. Go to File | Publish Snapshot and copy and paste the URL this generates (e.g., http: // speccy.piriform.com/results/xxx... as shown in the image below) in your next reply.
** You can run Speccy Portable from any location, including a removable USB thumb drive. If you can't download and unzip the spsetup132.zip file on your problem Vista SP2 computer then plug a USB thumb drive into another working computer, save and unzip the spsetup132.zip file on that USB thumb drive, and then remove that USB thumb drive and plug it into your problem Vista SP2 machine.

Speccy Snapshot Copy to Clipboard EDITED 26 Jul 2021.png

If you haven't used Speccy before, I published a snapshot of my (now retired) 32-bit Vista SP2 machine at http://speccy.piriform.com/results/z2qoNAESuxQeYKCK2QGx3or. This 12-Jul-2019 snapshot is the last snapshot I published for my Vista SP2 laptop before I uninstalled my Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.2.22 antivirus.

I personally haven't had much success in the past using Windows System Restore on Vista SP2 computers so if the modem re-boot, Check Disk and System File Checker scan don't fix anything I would only consider a system restore as a last resort, and only if all your important data is backed up to an external hard drive just in case something goes wrong. If you do decide to try this just be sure you choose a system restore point that was created just before your problems started (i.e., just before you tried to install Legacy Update v1.6.2 and the Windows 10 security certificates); if you don't have any system restore points from that time period then don't proceed or you'll likely be in a bigger mess than you already are.

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
As usual, Imacri is doing an outstanding job of trying to resolve this issue. Using the Classic option for the Start menu, click on Start and select Programs. Is Windows Mail shown (perhaps you would provide a screenshot of what shown in the list for "Windows").

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
...if the modem re-boot, Check Disk and System File Checker scan don't fix anything I would only consider a system restore as a last resort, and only if all your important data is backed up to an external hard drive just in case something goes wrong....

Hi mollytown:

I still don't know what antivirus you use, but I neglected to mention in my previous post # 7 that if your antivirus includes a self-protection module (sometimes called tamper protection) that is supposed to prevent malware from turning off your antivirus real-time protection (or prevent the user from accidentally deleting important files required by their antivirus) then this feature should be temporarily disabled before you perform a Windows System Restore.

A system restore makes rapid changes to your Windows system files and registry and can sometimes be mistaken by the heuristic (behaviour-based) protection feature included with many antivirus programs as a malware attack. I used Norton Security v22.15.5.40 (the current legacy version of Norton for Win XP and Vista) before I retired my Vista SP2 machine and the Norton support article Fix System Restore Problems With Norton Product Installed includes instructions for temporarily disabling Norton Tamper Protection prior to a system restore. The antivirus product you use might have similar instructions on their support site. I know some users who will go a step further and temporarily uninstall their third-party antivirus before running a Windows System Restore.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
..If the modem re-boot, Check Disk and System File Checker scan don't help then you might want to publish a Speccy diagnostic so we can see some basic information about your system configuration...

Hi mollytown:

.. and if you don't want to post a link to your Speccy diagnostic in a public forum and share information about your system information then there are some other other free diagnostic utilities that are still compatible with Vista SP2 and might help you diagnose your problem.

The Belarc Advisor download page notes that this utility "builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, network inventory, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, security benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser". There is no portable edition so you would have to install this utility on your hard drive. Since you don't have a working internet connection you would have to download the installer (advisorinstaller.exe) and save it on a removable USB thumb drive from a working computer, and then plug that USB drive into your Vista SP2 machine, move the installer to your Vista hard drive, and run the installer there. Just note that Belarc Advisor requires a working internet connection so you might be unable to download updated information about the latest available Windows security updates from their servers (a.k.a. Advisor security definitions) and Belarc Advisor might not work as expected on your Vista SP2 computer given its current condition. Also note that the scan results will display software licenses (e.g., the product key for your Windows OS, etc.) so you should never post a full Belarc Advisor report in a public forum. See the 01-May-2023 LifeWire article Belarc Advisor v12 Review for further information about the current release.

HWiNFO is a good choice if you'd like to view a detailed summary of the make / model and driver versions of all your hardware. Unlike Speccy and Belarc Advisor, HWiNFO won't display any information about your third-party programs and Windows security updates but the free edition does display some basic information about the current status of your hardware components (e.g., the S.M.A.R.T. attributes of your hard drive, current connection status of your network / WiFi adapters, etc.). There is a portable (.zip) version available <here> that you can download and unzip on a removable USB thumb drive from a working computer. Then plug that USB drive into your Vista SP2 computer and run the unzipped executable (HWiNFO32.exe for your 32-bit OS; HWiNFO64.exe for 64-bit systems) from the USB drive. See the 10-May-2023 Lifewire aritlce HWiNFO v7.46 Review for further information about the current release.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
Hi mollytown:

.. and if you don't want to post a link to your Speccy diagnostic in a public forum and share information about your system information then there are some other other free diagnostic utilities that are still compatible with Vista SP2 and might help you diagnose your problem.

The Belarc Advisor download page notes that this utility "builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, network inventory, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, security benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser". There is no portable edition so you would have to install this utility on your hard drive. Since you don't have a working internet connection you would have to download the installer (advisorinstaller.exe) and save it on a removable USB thumb drive from a working computer, and then plug that USB drive into your Vista SP2 machine, move the installer to your Vista hard drive, and run the installer there. Just note that Belarc Advisor requires a working internet connection so you might be unable to download updated information about the latest available Windows security updates from their servers (a.k.a. Advisor security definitions) and Belarc Advisor might not work as expected on your Vista SP2 computer given its current condition. Also note that the scan results will display software licenses (e.g., the product key for your Windows OS, etc.) so you should never post a full Belarc Advisor report in a public forum. See the 01-May-2023 LifeWire article Belarc Advisor v12 Review for further information about the current release.

HWiNFO is a good choice if you'd like to view a detailed summary of the make / model and driver versions of all your hardware. Unlike Speccy and Belarc Advisor, HWiNFO won't display any information about your third-party programs and Windows security updates but the free edition does display some basic information about the current status of your hardware components (e.g., the S.M.A.R.T. attributes of your hard drive, current connection status of your network / WiFi adapters, etc.). There is a portable (.zip) version available <here> that you can download and unzip on a removable USB thumb drive from a working computer. Then plug that USB drive into your Vista SP2 computer and run the unzipped executable (HWiNFO32.exe for your 32-bit OS; HWiNFO64.exe for 64-bit systems) from the USB drive. See the 10-May-2023 Lifewire aritlce HWiNFO v7.46 Review for further information about the current release.
Hello lmacri

Thank for your advice. The problem turned out to be much simpler than I imagined it to be. It was indeed with my Norton anti-virus which was still installed on the computer from when I bought it. The Norton firewall was blocking my web browsers from accessing the Internet after I attempted the Legacy Update. I had wondered if the firewall was stopping Internet access because after the update failed Microsoft Security Essentials wanted to perform an update that also failed. Though I didn’t realise that Norton was still active I thought that would have disabled itself due to come to the end of its licence. It’s probable that Norton blocked the update and that is why it failed and thus also blocked all programs that access the Internet. I still can’t sign into windows live mail though; it still gives me “Sorry, we were unable to sign you in to Windows Live ID at this time. Please try again later”. I don’t know if I should attempt this legacy update again with hopes that it will install this time and solve the issue. Or would this risk causing more problems? What do you think?

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista
The problem turned out to be much simpler than I imagined it to be. It was indeed with my Norton anti-virus which was still installed on the computer from when I bought it....I had wondered if the firewall was stopping Internet access because after the update failed Microsoft Security Essentials wanted to perform an update that also failed....

Hi mollytown:

That excellent news. Glad you figured it out on your own.

More bad news, though. According to Vistaar's 31-Oct-2019 post # 5 in skeezix's How Can I Install Two Failed Updates? "Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer usable on Vista and should be uninstalled via Control Panel". The Wikipedia article Microsoft Security Essentials confirms that "Support for MSE has officially ended for Windows Vista and Windows XP. Older versions still function on those systems; however, the latest definition updates are no longer compatible. Although support for Windows 7 ended on 14 January 2020 Microsoft will continue to update virus definitions for existing users until 2023" so without up-to-date virus definitions you can't rely on MSE to protect your Vista SP2 machine.

I don't know how you plan to use your old Vista SP2 machine (it sounds like you have computer with a newer OS that you use on a regular basis) but WinClient5270's recently updated Last Versions of Software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 in the MSFN Vista forum has a list of antivirus programs - both free and paid - that still work with Vista SP2. You might also want to read hmw's 12-Mar-2023 XP Virus Protection Software in the AskWoody forum about their recent adventures trying to find a new antivirus for their Win XP machine - I posted some comments in that thread and all the antivirus programs that users suggested there would also run on a Vista SP2 machine. As it turns out hmw wasn't very happy with the eScan antivirus they eventually purchased, although I'm not sure why they didn't try the 30-day free trial of eScan first.

If you aren't going to pay for an annual subscription for Norton Security (which can be quite expensive if you purchase your product key directly from NortonLifeLock - see my see my 26-Jun-2022 post in ffwfire's I am wondering if I get the Norton updater? in the Norton forum) then make sure that all traces are wiped off your system with the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) Tool (Advanced Options | Remove Only) as instructed in the support article Download and Run the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool for Windows or it will continue to cause problems There is a download link in that support article for a legacy NRnR Tool for Win XP that is likely the correct tool for Vista SP2, but you can contact the official Norton Customer Support via their Live Chat and confirm with them. When you uninstall Norton from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features this leaves behind orphaned disk files and registry keys that could interfere with other antivirus programs so you should wipe the last remnants of Norton off your system before you install any other antivirus software.

... I still can’t sign into windows live mail though; it still gives me “Sorry, we were unable to sign you in to Windows Live ID at this time. Please try again later”....

You might want to read Mike Lynch's 30-Mar-2022 thread Vista Ultimate Update Process is Stalled at the Following Point about problems they had installing an optional Windows Live Essentials update on their Vista Ultimate computer (note this topic was started prior to 03-Aug-2020 when Windows Update was still working on Win XP and Vista computers). My post # 9 in that thread included comments about problems with the KB2434419 update for Windows Live Essentials and my post # 10 had links to threads from other Vista Ultimate users who had the same problem.

To the best of my knowledge Vista Ultimate users can no longer use Windows Live Mail and must switch to a different email client. I used the built-in Windows Mail program wither3 mentioned above in post # 8 but that program can sometimes be glitchy (see my 01-Jul-2019 post # 16 in AndyTampa's Yahoo embedded images missing/damaged in Windows Vista default mail client) and it no longer receives security updates so there are probably better choices these days like em Client, Mozilla Thunderbird, or one of the other email clients listed in WinClient5270's recently updated Last Versions of Software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 in the MSFN Vista forum.

You seem certain that you can get Windows Live Email working on your Vista SP2 machine again. I don't think that's possible, but I might be wrong, so you might want to start a new topic on that subject and see what other Vista Ultimate users have to say.

I don’t know if I should attempt this legacy update again with hopes that it will install this time and solve the issue. Or would this risk causing more problems?

I've never used Legacy Updater v1.62 so I'm not the best person to ask but I wouldn't advise that you reinstall it - the Dism++ v10.1.1002.1 utility I recommended in post # 5 (see SIW2’s 02-Dec-2021 instructions <here>) is widely used and sounds like better choice for patching Vista SP2 up to the end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017.

I've never run Dism++ on a Vista Ultimate computer so I'm not sure if it would be able to patch your Windows Live Mail v2009 to the final v2012, but even it it could I'm assuming it still wouldn't allow you to actually log in with your Windows Live ID or send / receive emails in the present day.

... Also note that Microsoft deactivated the Windows Update servers for unsupported operating systems like Win XP and Vista that do not support SHA-2 code signing on August 3, 2020. See the Microsoft support article Windows Update SHA-1 Based Endpoints Discontinued for Older Windows Devices for more information and examples of typical error messages Win XP and Vista users will now see if they try to run Windows Update....

One last recommendation. Before you do anything else I'd suggest you turn off your automatic Windows Updates at Control Panel | Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates. Windows Update hasn't worked on Vista SP2 machine since 03-Aug-2020 and there's no point having Windows Update constantly running in the background these days and wasting system resources.

Vista SP2 Windows Update Never Check For Updates EDITED.png

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
Hi mollytown:

That excellent news. Glad you figured it out on your own.

More bad news, though. According to Vistaar's 31-Oct-2019 post # 5 in skeezix's How Can I Install Two Failed Updates? "Microsoft Security Essentials is no longer usable on Vista and should be uninstalled via Control Panel". The Wikipedia article Microsoft Security Essentials confirms that "Support for MSE has officially ended for Windows Vista and Windows XP. Older versions still function on those systems; however, the latest definition updates are no longer compatible. Although support for Windows 7 ended on 14 January 2020 Microsoft will continue to update virus definitions for existing users until 2023" so without up-to-date virus definitions you can't rely on MSE to protect your Vista SP2 machine.

I don't know how you plan to use your old Vista SP2 machine (it sounds like you have computer with a newer OS that you use on a regular basis) but WinClient5270's recently updated Last Versions of Software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 in the MSFN Vista forum has a list of antivirus programs - both free and paid - that still work with Vista SP2. You might also want to read hmw's 12-Mar-2023 XP Virus Protection Software in the AskWoody forum about their recent adventures trying to find a new antivirus for their Win XP machine - I posted some comments in that thread and all the antivirus programs that users suggested there would also run on a Vista SP2 machine. As it turns out hmw wasn't very happy with the eScan antivirus they eventually purchased, although I'm not sure why they didn't try the 30-day free trial of eScan first.

If you aren't going to pay for an annual subscription for Norton Security (which can be quite expensive if you purchase your product key directly from NortonLifeLock - see my see my 26-Jun-2022 post in ffwfire's I am wondering if I get the Norton updater? in the Norton forum) then make sure that all traces are wiped off your system with the Norton Remove and Reinstall (NRnR) Tool (Advanced Options | Remove Only) as instructed in the support article Download and Run the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool for Windows or it will continue to cause problems There is a download link in that support article for a legacy NRnR Tool for Win XP that is likely the correct tool for Vista SP2, but you can contact the official Norton Customer Support via their Live Chat and confirm with them. When you uninstall Norton from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features this leaves behind orphaned disk files and registry keys that could interfere with other antivirus programs so you should wipe the last remnants of Norton off your system before you install any other antivirus software.

You might want to read Mike Lynch's 30-Mar-2022 thread Vista Ultimate Update Process is Stalled at the Following Point about problems they had installing an optional Windows Live Essentials update on their Vista Ultimate computer (note this topic was started prior to 03-Aug-2020 when Windows Update was still working on Win XP and Vista computers). My post # 9 in that thread included comments about problems with the KB2434419 update for Windows Live Essentials and my post # 10 had links to threads from other Vista Ultimate users who had the same problem.

To the best of my knowledge Vista Ultimate users can no longer use Windows Live Mail and must switch to a different email client. I used the built-in Windows Mail program wither3 mentioned above in post # 8 but that program can sometimes be glitchy (see my 01-Jul-2019 post # 16 in AndyTampa's Yahoo embedded images missing/damaged in Windows Vista default mail client) and it no longer receives security updates so there are probably better choices these days like em Client, Mozilla Thunderbird, or one of the other email clients listed in WinClient5270's recently updated Last Versions of Software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 in the MSFN Vista forum.

You seem certain that you can get Windows Live Email working on your Vista SP2 machine again. I don't think that's possible, but I might be wrong, so you might want to start a new topic on that subject and see what other Vista Ultimate users have to say.

I've never used Legacy Updater v1.62 so I'm not the best person to ask but I wouldn't advise that you reinstall it - the Dism++ v10.1.1002.1 utility I recommended in post # 5 (see SIW2’s 02-Dec-2021 instructions <here>) is widely used and sounds like better choice for patching Vista SP2 up to the end of extended support on 11-Apr-2017.

I've never run Dism++ on a Vista Ultimate computer so I'm not sure if it would be able to patch your Windows Live Mail v2009 to the final v2012, but even it it could I'm assuming it still wouldn't allow you to actually log in with your Windows Live ID or send / receive emails in the present day.

One last recommendation. Before you do anything else I'd suggest you turn off your automatic Windows Updates at Control Panel | Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates. Windows Update hasn't worked on Vista SP2 machine since 03-Aug-2020 and there's no point having Windows Update constantly running in the background these days and wasting system resources.

View attachment 31123
I did have a computer with a more advanced operating system but it’s been in repair for over a month and it had to be written off because it could not be repaired. So at the moment this is all I have, when I was posting before I had to use an IPad that was given to me which was rather a pain because they don’t seem to be very compatible with forums. I have been given a voucher for a new one from PC World but new laptops seemed to be not very good at all they don’t come with disk drives and most don’t seem to have HDDs. It seems that laptops are becoming glorified tablets they have less USBs, SSD are much harder to recover data from if they fail and with no disk drives you’re pushed into relying on digital downloads. I have also heard that Laptops are going to built so that everything is soldered to the motherboard so that if one part fails the whole thing will have to be scrapped.

As for anti Virus software I am now using the trial versions of both HitmanPro and malwarebytes. I had used Hitmanpro on this machine before when I had it back in the late 2000’s and it seemed to a pretty good job. This time both programs found quite a few viruses and removed them which is good. I don’t know if their best programs to use for Vista though and if it is worth paying for full subscription. Is Norton better? I have seen some reviews that say it is better but I don’t know how it is compatibility wise.

There seemed to be several people who still use Windows Live Mail and they must have a way of getting working. The certificate updates was they way recommended to me GitHub - JohnTHaller/RootCertificateUpdatesForLegacyWindows: Root certificate updates for Windows Vista, XP, and 2000 but they didn’t seem to work maybe that’s because I attempted the legacy update at the same time. I might have to switch if there is no way but it is worth a try. Though you’re right I will start a new topic about Window Live Mail.

I might give Dism a look but I will not attempt the legacy update again. I have turned off automatic updates and it does make the computer run smoother than before.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista
It seems that laptops are becoming glorified tablets they have less USBs, SSD are much harder to recover data from if they fail and with no disk drives you’re pushed into relying on digital downloads.

Hi mollytown:

My advice is that you either stick with your iPad or buy a new computer with a supported operating system - it simply isn't safe browsing the internet these days with an unsupported, insecure Vista SP2 OS and browser, and there are fewer and fewer software programs these days that still run on Vista. If you absolutely need an optical drive you can purchase an external CD/DVD drive that connects to your computer via a USB cable, and SSD drives are much faster than mechanical spinning HDD platters. If you're concerned about the lifespan of modern SSDs you might find some useful information in the 26-Aug-2022 PC Magazine article SSD vs. HDD: What's the Difference? which states in part that "Then there's the issue of longevity. While it is true that SSDs wear out over time (each cell in a flash-memory bank can be written to and erased a limited number of times, measured by SSD makers as a "terabytes written" or TBW rating), thanks to TRIM command technology that dynamically optimizes these read/write cycles, you're more likely to discard the system for obsolescence before you start running into read/write errors with an SSD." If you have a good emergency recovery plan in place and regularly back up your important user data to an external hard drive then you will be able to recover your data after any disaster, including a hard drive failure, ransomware infection, etc.

If you only need a computer for basic tasks like browsing and emailing then a second option is to replace your Vista SP2 OS with a Linux OS (known as a distro) like Linux Mint Cinnamon that is still supported and runs on older hardware - see the system requirements <here>. The 06-Nov-2020 The Verge article How to Switch an Old Windows Laptop to Linux has more information and includes instructions on how you can run Linux Mint from a bootable USB or DVD and take this OS on a "test drive" to see if you like it before you install it on your hard drive. The main drawback to this option is that you would be installing Linux on very old hardware, and your current hard drive and other hardware components can't last forever and could be due for a serious failure.

If purchasing a new computer or switching your Vista OS to a Linux distro isn't feasible right now and I were in your situation then I would probably install a reputable antivirus and then run the occasional second-opinion manual scan with Malwarebytes Free v3.5.1 (or some other free anti-malware scanner) just to check for anything missed by your antivirus. Just make sure you you have a good data recovery plan if disaster ever strikes.

... As for anti Virus software I am now using the trial versions of both HitmanPro and malwarebytes ...

Sophos offers two products - HitmanPro (an on-demand manual anti-malware scanner similar to Malwarebytes Free) and HitmanPro.Alert (an anti-malware scanner with real-time protection that runs automatically in the background like Malwarebytes Premium). Be sure you know what features are offered with each product if you plan to purchase.

HitmanPro and Malwarebytes are both anti-malware scanners, not true antivirus programs. If you are not sure of the difference see the Malwarebytes Lab article What's the Difference Between Antivirus and Anti-malware?. I've always used Malwarebyes products to supplement my antivirus so I can't comment on the effectiveness of HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert, but Firefox's 21-Feb-2023 post in the Malwarebytes thread Running MB with Defender lists some of the shortcomings of Malwarebytes and explains why many users layer their protection by using an antivirus for their primary real-time protection and then adding an anti-malware scanner like HitmanPro or Malwarebytes to look for malware or PUPs (potentially unwanted programs like adware, browser toolbars, etc.) that might have been missed by their antivirus.

The legacy Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1 for Win XP and Vista is very similar to an antivirus but has two main drawbacks (besides the shortcomings mentioned in Firefox's post). Firstly, the Ransomware Protection module cannot run with Win XP and Vista SP2 and will be automatically disabled on these older OSs. It also appears that Malwarebytes v3.5.1 will soon be reaching end-of-support and stop receiving regular malware definition updates - see employee AdvancedSetup's 29-Mar-2023 post in the thread Legacy 3.5.1.2522 - Sudden "Red Triangle" "Your updates are not current". When a final decision is made the end-of-life date will be posted at Malwarebytes for Windows v3 Product Lifecycle.

... This time both programs found quite a few viruses and removed them which is good. I don’t know if their best programs to use for Vista though and if it is worth paying for full subscription. Is Norton better? I have seen some reviews that say it is better but I don’t know how it is compatibility wise ....

You will have to decide if you want to use a paid or free antivirus. If you want a free antivirus I know that Avast Free Antivirus v18.8 (the legacy version for Win XP and Vista that is available for download <here>) is a popular choice, but if I were still using my Vista SP2 machine online on a regular basis I would probably beef up my protection and use one of the paid antivirus products listed in WinClient5270's recently updated Last Versions of Software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 in the MSFN Vista forum.

If you want a paid antivirus and decide to stay with Norton v22.15.5.40 (the legacy version for WIn XP and Vista) just note that purchasing an annual subscription directly from Norton is quite expensive. I used to wait for a good sale and purchase a spare product key from an authorized reseller like BestBuy, Staples, etc. and keep the product key on hand until my annual subscription was about to expire - see my 26-Jun-2022 post in ffwfire's I am wondering if I get the Norton updater? in the Norton forum for more information. As I noted in that post, I thought Norton Security v22.15.x - especially the bundled two-way firewall - was a good choice for Win XP and Vista computers, but I don't like some of the business practices Norton has adopted in recent years since parent company Symantec was sold to Broadcomm in Nov 2019 and NortonLifeLock became a separate company. For example, NortonLifeLock now forces users to enter a credit card number and will automatically enable auto-renewal in your Norton Account if you activate your annual subscription with a product key purchased from an authorized reseller like BestBuy. However, you can log in to your Norton Account <here> after you have registered your product with Norton and then delete your billing information and disable auto-renewal once your subscription has been activated.

Also note that I'm not a fan of the current Norton 360 v22.23.4 product line for Win 7 SP1 and higher (it's bloated with unnecessary features and constantly nags you with pop-up ads trying to scare you into buying additional Norton services) so I currently use the built-in Microsoft Defender antivirus on my Win 10 laptop and supplement my real-time protection with the latest Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.x.

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
Hi mollytown:

My advice is that you either stick with your iPad or buy a new computer with a supported operating system - it simply isn't safe browsing the internet these days with an unsupported, insecure Vista SP2 OS and browser, and there are fewer and fewer software programs these days that still run on Vista. If you absolutely need an optical drive you can purchase an external CD/DVD drive that connects to your computer via a USB cable, and SSD drives are much faster than mechanical spinning HDD platters. If you're concerned about the lifespan of modern SSDs you might find some useful information in the 26-Aug-2022 PC Magazine article SSD vs. HDD: What's the Difference? which states in part that "Then there's the issue of longevity. While it is true that SSDs wear out over time (each cell in a flash-memory bank can be written to and erased a limited number of times, measured by SSD makers as a "terabytes written" or TBW rating), thanks to TRIM command technology that dynamically optimizes these read/write cycles, you're more likely to discard the system for obsolescence before you start running into read/write errors with an SSD." If you have a good emergency recovery plan in place and regularly back up your important user data to an external hard drive then you will be able to recover your data after any disaster, including a hard drive failure, ransomware infection, etc.

If you only need a computer for basic tasks like browsing and emailing then a second option is to replace your Vista SP2 OS with a Linux OS (known as a distro) like Linux Mint Cinnamon that is still supported and runs on older hardware - see the system requirements <here>. The 06-Nov-2020 The Verge article How to Switch an Old Windows Laptop to Linux has more information and includes instructions on how you can run Linux Mint from a bootable USB or DVD and take this OS on a "test drive" to see if you like it before you install it on your hard drive. The main drawback to this option is that you would be installing Linux on very old hardware, and your current hard drive and other hardware components can't last forever and could be due for a serious failure.

If purchasing a new computer or switching your Vista OS to a Linux distro isn't feasible right now and I were in your situation then I would probably install a reputable antivirus and then run the occasional second-opinion manual scan with Malwarebytes Free v3.5.1 (or some other free anti-malware scanner) just to check for anything missed by your antivirus. Just make sure you you have a good data recovery plan if disaster ever strikes.

Sophos offers two products - HitmanPro (an on-demand manual anti-malware scanner similar to Malwarebytes Free) and HitmanPro.Alert (an anti-malware scanner with real-time protection that runs automatically in the background like Malwarebytes Premium). Be sure you know what features are offered with each product if you plan to purchase.

HitmanPro and Malwarebytes are both anti-malware scanners, not true antivirus programs. If you are not sure of the difference see the Malwarebytes Lab article What's the Difference Between Antivirus and Anti-malware?. I've always used Malwarebyes products to supplement my antivirus so I can't comment on the effectiveness of HitmanPro or HitmanPro.Alert, but Firefox's 21-Feb-2023 post in the Malwarebytes thread Running MB with Defender lists some of the shortcomings of Malwarebytes and explains why many users layer their protection by using an antivirus for their primary real-time protection and then adding an anti-malware scanner like HitmanPro or Malwarebytes to look for malware or PUPs (potentially unwanted programs like adware, browser toolbars, etc.) that might have been missed by their antivirus.

The legacy Malwarebytes Premium v3.5.1 for Win XP and Vista is very similar to an antivirus but has two main drawbacks (besides the shortcomings mentioned in Firefox's post). Firstly, the Ransomware Protection module cannot run with Win XP and Vista SP2 and will be automatically disabled on these older OSs. It also appears that Malwarebytes v3.5.1 will soon be reaching end-of-support and stop receiving regular malware definition updates - see employee AdvancedSetup's 29-Mar-2023 post in the thread Legacy 3.5.1.2522 - Sudden "Red Triangle" "Your updates are not current". When a final decision is made the end-of-life date will be posted at Malwarebytes for Windows v3 Product Lifecycle.

You will have to decide if you want to use a paid or free antivirus. If you want a free antivirus I know that Avast Free Antivirus v18.8 (the legacy version for Win XP and Vista that is available for download <here>) is a popular choice, but if I were still using my Vista SP2 machine online on a regular basis I would probably beef up my protection and use one of the paid antivirus products listed in WinClient5270's recently updated Last Versions of Software for Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 in the MSFN Vista forum.

If you want a paid antivirus and decide to stay with Norton v22.15.5.40 (the legacy version for WIn XP and Vista) just note that purchasing an annual subscription directly from Norton is quite expensive. I used to wait for a good sale and purchase a spare product key from an authorized reseller like BestBuy, Staples, etc. and keep the product key on hand until my annual subscription was about to expire - see my 26-Jun-2022 post in ffwfire's I am wondering if I get the Norton updater? in the Norton forum for more information. As I noted in that post, I thought Norton Security v22.15.x - especially the bundled two-way firewall - was a good choice for Win XP and Vista computers, but I don't like some of the business practices Norton has adopted in recent years since parent company Symantec was sold to Broadcomm in Nov 2019 and NortonLifeLock became a separate company. For example, NortonLifeLock now forces users to enter a credit card number and will automatically enable auto-renewal in your Norton Account if you activate your annual subscription with a product key purchased from an authorized reseller like BestBuy. However, you can log in to your Norton Account <here> after you have registered your product with Norton and then delete your billing information and disable auto-renewal once your subscription has been activated.

Also note that I'm not a fan of the current Norton 360 v22.23.4 product line for Win 7 SP1 and higher (it's bloated with unnecessary features and constantly nags you with pop-up ads trying to scare you into buying additional Norton services) so I currently use the built-in Microsoft Defender antivirus on my Win 10 laptop and supplement my real-time protection with the latest Malwarebytes Premium v4.5.x.
I can’t use an IPAD as need my computer for gaming and there is enough vista compatible games for my laptop Jedi Nights Dark Forces 2, Quake, Goldsrc mods, Daggerfall, Fallout 3, Oblivion etc Plus IPad and apple in general are just too restrictive in what you can do to them it’s like they put their customers in a cage, how modern apple ever took off baffles me. I’m also putting of buying a new laptop because of how terribly designed modern laptops are and they mostly come with Windows 11 now which is basically bloated spyware. Also there are so many features that were on XP and Vista that Windows 10 and 11 just don’t have because they’ve been so dumbed down.

External optical drives don’t really cut it, I have a lot of games on disk and it doesn’t work well having to use an external drive just to play them. Plus modern laptops have hardly enough USBs as it is and taking up another slot for something that should have come with the computer is stupid I never asked not to have a disk drive this just seems like a war on ownership. What you have said about SDDs makes me think even worse of them I don’t need faster speed the HDD are fast enough and I would prefer storage stability over speed. I have HDDs extracted from computers years ago that I can still access I doubt the same will the case for SSDs. Linux’s userbase and code of conduct is enough to put me off using them as a replacement even if I wanted to replace it. I had thought of using it with how bad Microsoft is getting but they’re just as bad in a different way. Older versions of Windows like Vista almost seem to be the best even if they do have risks.

You have given some very good info on anti-virus systems I had just assumed that Malwaerebytes was simply an overall anti-virus program; it seems that I will have to look into something else. Avast Free Antivirus sounds like a good bet but as you said a paid program would be much better. I don’t have any allegiance to Norton they were simply what came with my laptop when I bought it. I will use whatever anti-virus program works best.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista
I might give Dism a look but I will not attempt the legacy update again. I have turned off automatic updates and it does make the computer run smoother than before.

Hi mollytown:

If you don't use Dism++ to patch your Vista SP2 OS back to end of extended support (11-Apr-2017) then at the very least I would advise that you manually install the nine important security updates listed in my 30-Apr-2023 reply in timmy reynold's Gateway Vista Factory Reset in the MS Answers thread where I post as user Great White North. Download links for the .msu standalone installers and installation instructions are provided in that post. Note that you will only need to install KB4018271 if Internet Explorer 9 is installed.

Microsoft also released a KB4499180 security update for Windows Server 2008 / Vista on 14-May-2019 that patches the "BlueKeep" remote desktop vulnerability - see Microsoft's special advisory for Vista SP2 and other out-of-support OSs at Customer Guidance for CVE-2019-0708 | Remote Desktop Services Remote Code Execution Vulnerability: May 14, 2019. Just note that this patch will change your Vista SP2 OS from Build 2 (6.0.6002.xxxxx) to Build 3 (6.0.6003.xxxxx), which might cause glitches or system instability if you have third-party software that specifically requires the "expected" OS Build 6.0.6002. Most Vista SP2 users who applied this patch did not experience any negative side effects but the change in OS build did cause an issue on my HP Pavilion dv6835ca laptop (see my posts in PKCano's 07-Jun-2019 Are Bluekeep Patches Causing BSODs with Server 2008 SP2 and Vista? in the AskWoody forum) so I uninstalled KB4499180 and ensured that Remote Assistance was disabled at Control Panel | System and Maintenance | System | Remote and that port 3389 was blocked to mitigate this "BlueKeep" vulnerability - see the instructions in my 04-Oct-2019 post on page 64 of m#l's Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.

Vista SP2 System Properties Remote Assistance Disabled CVE-2019-0708 17 May 2019.png

Last edited:

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
Earlier, Imacri talked about the expense of buying Norton directly from the company. That is so true. Last year I updated it by buying Norton 360 for 5 computers at Amazon for like $32. I delayed doing that this year and it cost me $123 from Norton. I'll disable the automatic renewal in my account. The only issue I have with Norton right now is that, on this Vista system, it can't seem to find the updates when I run LiveUpdate. I'll get in touch with Norton on this issue.

The folks at Malwarebytes assured me that they are a full fledged anti-virus, as well as malware, software when I "bought" it last year. I said "bought" because the free version can't make that claim. We talked about it in another thread.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Hi mollytown:

If you don't use Dism++ to patch your Vista SP2 OS back to end of extended support (11-Apr-2017) then at the very least I would advise that you manually install the nine important security updates listed in my 30-Apr-2023 reply in timmy reynold's Gateway Vista Factory Reset in the MS Answers thread where I post as user Great White North. Download links for the .msu standalone installers and installation instructions are provided in that post. Note that you will only need to install KB4018271 if Internet Explorer 9 is installed.

Microsoft also released a KB4499180 security update for Windows Server 2008 / Vista on 14-May-2019 that patches the "BlueKeep" remote desktop vulnerability - see Microsoft's special advisory for Vista SP2 and other out-of-support OSs at Customer Guidance for CVE-2019-0708 | Remote Desktop Services Remote Code Execution Vulnerability: May 14, 2019. Just note that this patch will change your Vista SP2 OS from Build 2 (6.0.6002.xxxxx) to Build 3 (6.0.6003.xxxxx), which might cause glitches or system instability if you have third-party software that specifically requires the "expected" OS Build 6.0.6002. Most Vista SP2 users who applied this patch did not experience any negative side effects but the change in OS build did cause an issue on my HP Pavilion dv6835ca laptop (see my posts in PKCano's 07-Jun-2019 Are Bluekeep Patches Causing BSODs with Server 2008 SP2 and Vista? in the AskWoody forum) so I uninstalled KB4499180 and ensured that Remote Assistance was disabled at Control Panel | System and Maintenance | System | Remote and that port 3389 was blocked to mitigate this "BlueKeep" vulnerability - see the instructions in my 04-Oct-2019 post on page 64 of m#l's Updates not working, it has been searching for updates for hours in the MS Answers forum.

View attachment 31124
I have been trying to update with Dism+++ but every time it tries to scan for one it says it can’t find any updates. I have also having problems with the Norton remover, the link you gave me is seemingly broken I then found a version on MajorGeeks but it doesn’t work on my computer. I think that KB4499180 will not cause any problems as this laptop wasn’t even updated to service pack 1 before very recently, I only updated it to service pack 1 and 2 this month.

Attachments

• can't find updat.jpg
    can't find updat.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Windows Vista
I have been trying to update with Dism+++ but every time it tries to scan for one it says it can’t find any updates...this laptop wasn’t even updated to service pack 1 before very recently, I only updated it to service pack 1 and 2 this month.

Hi mollytown:

Did you open a session as shown in SIW2's in 02-Dec-2021 instructions <here> before clicking the Scan button? If that works then note that those instructions also say "Best not to integrate too many at a time. About 30, then boot into vista ( or reboot if you are doing this from within vista), then the next 30 etc.".

I haven't used Dism++ to patch a Vista SP2 computer recently, but if opening a session first doesn't help then try manually installing the following four or five so-called "speed up" patches before trying Dism++ again. Note that if you already followed my suggestion in post # 16 and installed the eight or nine critical security patches listed in timmy reynold's Gateway Vista Factory Reset then the following updates have already been installed on your computer.

REQUIRED:
KB3205638: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3205638 Vista
KB4012583: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4012583 Vista
KB4015380: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4015380 Vista
KB4019204: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4019204 Vista

OPTIONAL (if Internet Explorer 9 is installed ***):
KB4018271: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4018271 Internet Explorer 9 Vista

*** Vista Service Pack 2 includes Internet Explorer 7 (rel. 18-Oct-2006) so if you just installed SP2 then you do not have Internet Explorer 9 (rel. 14-Mar-2011) and installation of KB4018271 will fail.

Install these security updates as follows:
  1. Ensure that automatic Windows Updates are DISABLED [Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates] and REBOOT terminate any Windows Update session currently running in the background.
  2. Download the offline .msu installers from the Microsoft Update Catalog and save them to your Windows desktop. Use the Vista x86 installer if you have a 32-bit OS; use the Vista x64 installer if you have a 64-bit OS (see image below).
  3. Double-click the .msu file on your desktop to start the installation. If an installer prompts you restart your computer after is has finished running then do so.
  4. REBOOT again after all installers have run to completion.
Microsoft Update Catalog Search Results KB4021903.png

Make note of any warnings or error messages you see. If all updates install successfully then try Dism++ again.

... I have also having problems with the Norton remover, the link you gave me is seemingly broken I then found a version on MajorGeeks but it doesn’t work on my computer...

What is the version number of the NRnR.exe file you are trying to run? Right-click on the file, choose Properties from the pop-up context menu, and look for the version number on the Details tab.

Did you browse to the Norton support article at Download and Run the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool for Windows and use the link in that article (https://buy-download.norton.com/downloads/RnR/XP/NRnR.exe) to download the Windows XP compatible version of the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool (i.e., NRnR.exe v4.5.0.148)? That v4.5.0.148 tool should remove Norton 2013 (v20.x) or newer products on Win XP computers so I assume it should also run on Vista. I don't know what trial version of Norton was installed on your computer, but if you have remnants of Norton 2012 (v19.x) or older that need to be removed then try the older NRnR.exe v4.5.0.70 available at http://liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com/upgrade/NRnR/For18x/NRnR.exe.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion dv6835ca
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Quanta 30D2 (U2E1)
    Memory
    3 GB RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
  • Operating System
    64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron 15 5584
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Dell Inc. 07R8NW
    Memory
    8 GB DDR4 SDRAM
    Graphics card(s)
    Intel UHD Graphics 620
    Hard Drives
    Other Info
I am using a Toshiba Qosmio G40-10E....The version of Live Mail I was trying to get working is the 2009 version it came with the laptop and has the details for my email address already on it.
But the laptop was evidently manufactured in 2007 (and btw bundled software included a Norton Internet Security 2007 free trial).
...this laptop wasn’t even updated to service pack 1 before very recently, I only updated it to service pack 1 and 2 this month.
I infer that the laptop was restored from a factory image or OEM disk from 2007, so it seems doubtful that Windows Live Mail 2009 is present at all. For some reason, Microsoft Update Catalog still has a Windows Live Essentials web installer from 2012, but it reportedly hasn’t worked for more than six years, i.e. I have no idea how you could install it now, much less get it to work.

More bad news: Very old factory images and even OEM disks are often corrupt! I did a factory restore way back in 2015, and already my 2007 factory image was slightly corrupt, but fortunately sfc /scannow (which Imacri has already suggested) was able to fix the corruption. (I was able to remove a free trial of Norton then, but I don’t recall the version number of the removal tool.)

Imacri thinks everyone using Vista for any reason should be “fully patched” to exactly April 11, 2017. I think this is more trouble than it’s worth now, and I don’t think it would give you a useful Windows email client. You should probably install at least two Platform Update components.

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium x86 SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion Elite m9150f
    CPU
    Intel Q6600
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT