Solved Live mail

Hi Lorien

I have noticed too since WLM went 2011 version, it does not work as smooth as before. I have used WLM for at least 3/4 years, and always liked how smooth and trouble free it was, now it seems like it is not as good as before. And to my knowlege this is not a Beta version, it's the real deal.

Thanx...Gunny

My Computer

Hi Gunny,

I've submitted the reply to the moderator - now we just have to wait and hope he has an answer (and that we gave him everything he requested - I suspect he may want more screenshots if he decides to pursue it any further or doesn't provide the solution anyway).

I have no comments about 2011. I admit I preferred 2009, but 2011 is the way of the future. It is a full release - not a beta product (though sometimes I wonder myself). I can't help you here - I'm not with Microsoft and have no control over what they do or what they release and I can barely get help on what they have released (and sometimes it's of no help at all - I hope this will be different).

Good luck to both of us. I'll let you know when I hear anything.

Take care!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Hi Lorien

Ok great. I sure do hope they find something here. As usual when I opened my WLM this morning there was a bunch of stuff from my Outlook in box. Some how my address is stuck in there some place. I think what I will try while waiting for them to get back to us, go into my registry and see what is in there that has to do with WLM. I did not delete anything from there last time I got rid of WLM, so there might be something lingering there. I just deleted things from my programs and folders last time. I am always very careful when going into the registry, to make sure nothing is deleted or changed that should not be.

Thanx....Gunny...P.S. Keep you fingers crossed.

My Computer

Hi Lorien

Well for starters I found one thing..."WLM HTML asynchronous pluggable protocal handler"

Now I am sure this is there because I have WLM installed. But I wonder if it was removed when I uninstalled it before.?

Thanx....Gunny

My Computer

Hi Gunny,

I don't know about that entry. I don't know how to tell if it was uninstalled or not the first time or if it has anything at all to do with your problem. I would leave it alone.

I strongly recommend against modifying the registry unless you really know what you're doing (even I hesitate and I do know what I'm doing) or following the directions of a professional or a trusted article like a KB article from Microsoft or a tutorial from this forum. You could cause more harm than good and perhaps even to programs besides WLM depending on what you change.

If you're going to ignore what I just said and do it anyway, at least first make a System Restore point AND backup the entire registry to be on the safe side. It still isn't absolutely safe, but it's certainly a whole lot better than not doing it - and please do both. When searching, look for any entry containing the outlook e-mail address - that may be the cause (but I'm not sure how to fix it without potentially messing up WLM entirely - the temptation is to delete it, but that could have unforeseen consequences).

In truth, I don't think the answer is in the registry, but I'm not certain. Even if it is, it may be impossible to find or impossible to understand without access to information neither of us can get since Microsoft doesn't make it public.

I think it's best to hear what the experts have to say - but it's your computer and I can only provide advice - the decision is yours.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Hi Lorien

No No don't worry I am not that stupid that I would do something in the registry that would compromise my computer. The most I would do is go into the registry and see if it was gone after removing WLM. Just out of curiosity.

I never ignore advice given to me by people like you or Experts that know what they are doing. I get the impression that you think I am some desperate half cocked individual that would do some crazy thing in utter frustration.

Trust me I am not one of those, I am very patient and I think before I move, not the other way around. I know my abilities, and I know there are plenty out there that knows a lot more than I do. I do take their advice and help seriously.

Thanx....Gunny

My Computer

Hi Lorien

The more I think and read about this problem, makes me think this happened when they went from the previous version to this WLM 2011. I don't know if you have looked any but there are a ton of complaints about this new version, people hate it, and want to go back to the older version, having all kinds of problems. Lot of complaints that it gave you the newer version whether you wanted it or not, put it in as an update. Some confusion as whether it was a critical or normal update. Most are saying it was a critical update. And people are mad because they cannot go back to an older version, according to Windows.

I went to my updates, and could not find any update pertaining to WLM. Some people are using their system restore to get back to a previous version. I don't remember when this 2011 came about. I don't think I can go back far enough on the restore to try this.

I am really starting to think this came about with 2011 WLM version and very possibly this is one of their boo boo's with it. And like I said I never had one problem with my WLM version before, and it being free, that is great. How often does that happen.?

Thanx ...Gunny

My Computer

Hi Gunny,

I'm not sure, but the version is 14 something and 2011 is 15 something, so this may be what you want. Be warned that I've heard uninstalling 2011 is a bear and sometimes prevents installing 2009 or 2010 (I never had it before so I'm not sure if this is the immediately prior version) even when uninstalled. I'd use Revo Revo Uninstaller Pro - Uninstall Software, Remove Programs easily on 2011 or Windows Live Essentials - Uninstall to be more sure. Again, I don't know for sure if this is it, but it's all I could find other than torrent sites after 30 minutes of searching. Download Free Windows Live Essentials, Windows Live Essentials 14.0.8064.0206 Download. I also understand you can't mix and match all the programs from the different versions (especially Mail and Messenger which apparently don't play so well together), so if you switch to the earlier version, you need to switch all the applications you're using and not just Windows Live Mail (though you can choose to install and use only WLM if that's all you're using).

I hope this helps and is what you may be looking for if you want to go this route. Consider, we still haven't heard from that administrator and, I hate to say this but, you may have the same problem with the old version if you transfer the data as that's where the issue may reside. Remember, I'm not certain if this is the prior version or the one before that (since I didn't use it before 2011) - but in any event, it's the only prior version I could find anyway. Save this download and you should be able to use it to install on another computer (or re-install on this one if that ever becomes necessary) as I don't think it will be around for much longer. You will need to separately save your data and settings from your current version if you want to transfer them to the new/old version.

Personally, I'd wait to hear from the Windows Live administrator to see if it can be fixed in a simpler and less radical way (but then again, you say you don't really like this version at all, so maybe changing back is the thing to do). It's your decision to make.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Hi Lorien

Yes I agree with you it is best to wait and see what the all knowing people come up with. I am willing to bet it will be something like a bug in the ointment type thing. A little glitch you might say. I have 2 computers I use on a daily basis, no dual monitors, just 2 computers and they basically have the same thing on them. I switch with a KVM switch. Just pointing this out because both of them have the same problem we are trying to figure out with WLM. Both of them have Win 7 on them, and like I said both are set up pretty much the same, program wise. I use one for my main computer, all my daily things, e-mail, etc. And the other is my experimental computer, I try diff programs, etc on it, and if it goofs up I still have me main computer in tact. I clone the HD on my experimental computer, so in case it picks up a bug and I cannot fix easily, I unplug it and plug in the the other HD and away I go. Then I will format, and re-clone the bugged drive when I have the time. A form of backing up your computer I call it.

Yes this is a very small problem with WLM, but it is not always the size of the problem that irritates us so much, it is more the fact that it is not working as intended. And it needs fixed. Just like the Mt. climber, you ask him why does he climb every Mt. he comes across, his answer will be "because it is there" :-) That is why we need to fix every problem big or small," because it is there"

Thanx....Gunny

My Computer

Here's the response I got from the Admin. I suppose it's worth a try:

Hi,

Please reconfigure your account in Windows Live Mail. Follow the steps in this solution article to do that:

https://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solutionid=2fed6e95-2d35-4030-a12c-9a399d5889c2

Also, set Live Mail and Outlook to save a copy of messages on server.

Here are the steps to do that in Windows Live Mail:

Right-click your account in Folder pan > Properties > Advanced tab > Leave a copy of messages on server > Apply > OK.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Hi Lorien

Are they saying to reconfigure my WLM account.? Like put in my original address and password that I normallly use with WLM.? I have my Outlook mail all set to leave a copy on the server, but having trouble finding where to do that with WLM. That right click your account in folder pan. Where is that.?

Thanx....Gunny

My Computer

Hi Gunny,

They're first saying to follow the directions in the link they provided to reconfigure your WLM (that's the second part of the article). And yes, what you said is pretty much what they're saying. Why they think this will work when a re-installation didn't is beyond me, but these are supposedly the experts (and you may need to do this to be sure it is removed and not just moved - I honestly don't know). Perhaps it has to be done this way to be sure to delete the account as uninstalling may not actually do that. Be sure to backup your information first as it seems this process may not save that information and it may need to be added back once you're done.

Don't do this until you've done the first part above or you'll have to do it over again for the reconfigured account. In WLM, to the left is a folder view of your accounts - it is the folder pane (not pan - that was a typo) - (there should only be the one you setup though you may also see Quick Views, Outbox, and Storage Folders depending on your settings - I choose to show them all but that's up to you and it can be configured by clicking View and going to the Layout section and selecting the options you want to show - if you have no folder pane showing, check several of these options and perhaps one will appear). My gosh, do you still not have a Folder Pane showing - post back if that's the case. Right click on the primary folder name (I've forgotten, but it may say Gunny or Redvette or whatever you named it - not inbox or one of the folders in it but on the primary folder name itself). Click on Properties. Click on Advanced. Near the bottom is an option with a box to leave items on the server - check that box and adjust any related settings as you see fit. Click Apply and then click OK. That should do it. I just checked and got there with no problems - but didn't check the box as I don't want messages saved on the server (but in your case it seems this might be required to resolve the problem and you'll need to go there periodically to delete some of the older server messages manually through the browser link so you don't run out of space - same for Outlook too).

I hope this helps. If the administrators in the forum dedicated to Windows Live Mail can't fix this, then I'm not sure where to go next (except to reply and say it didn't work if it doesn't work and hope they come back with something else to try - but let's hope it does).

Good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Hi Lorien

I know what you are saying to click on, but when I click on properties there is no advanced to click on. All there is ...General, server, and security. I do have a folder pane showing. And all the searching I have done in WLM I have never come across a place to check to leave the mail n the server. In Outlook yes and I have done that.

Now you are saying I should uninstall WLM completely. Now when I do that when I am doing the WLM sign up, it will ask me if I ever had a WLM account, and naturally I have, so they ask me for my address and password for my account. Do they want me to do a compete new account or use my original address and password.?

Thanx..... Gunny

My Computer

Hi Gunny,

I've glanced through their procedures and you should follow them step-by-step. I'm not suggesting you do anything they aren't suggesting in the article they sent you.

I have no idea about whether or not to use the old account or create a new one if they are calling for a reinstallation of the program besides just a reconfiguration of the account (I didn't think so, but I only glanced at it and that may be part of the process - just follow their directions). If so and if you can, I'd start by creating a new one and see if that one has the same problem. If not, then add back the old one and see if the problem starts again with that old one (and even adds to the one that had been working OK) or if it too is now working fine.

I can't explain why you don't have the Tab (though it exists on one of my accounts and not the other at first, but eventually seems to appear in the other one after trying a few times or after some time - and I can't explain that either). See mine below:

I hope this helps. Maybe the tab has something to do with the type of account (POP, IMAP,...) and you have the kind where the tab doesn't apply. But then again, I too have the problem at first as well on one of my accounts and it eventually works, so I don't know what to say. Can you go to the website page of that account and make the change there instead? Although not what they requested, it may work.

Please keep in mind I have no more information than you do. I quoted what they said word-for-word. Your guess is as good as mine about what they really want if what they provided isn't clear. We can always post back - though who knows when they'll reply. If so, construct the post you want to use to reply to them and I'll send it.

Good luck!

Attachments

• mail account.JPG
    mail account.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

HI Lorien

That box that you are showing, I have the same thing minus the "advanced". I have WLM 2011 on both computers and I get the same thing on both computers no "Advanced". So it must have to do with the type of account I have. WLM is not my default mail, Outlook is. And like I have said my provider is AT&T, so I have Yahoo mail also. I would think that option should still be there if it pertains to leaving your mail in the server, no matter what kind of account you have. I don't think this would be called a glitch or anything like that. And I don't remember ever seeing that advanced there.

See this is one of the things that makes it hard for you and me to figure these things out. You just knew I had to have the same thing you did in this respect, because we both have WLM 2011. And a simple thing like this should be the same. You was thinking this dummy cannot even find what I am telling him to look for, but as it turned out it was not there, plain and simple. What happened to graying out something if it was not used by this application, at least it would be there.

One thing I noticed is this, but I do not think this has anything to do with the problem. When I bring up that box for my e-mail account in WLM 2011, in brackets after the account name it has (default account) just like that. I have always thought this should not be there, it is not my default account. What do you think.? And it comes out this way every time I redo my WLM account.

Thanx....Gunny

My Computer

Hi Lorien

Well I tried what they said to do and it did not work, doing the very same thing. What do you think of what I said in the previous post about the box.? I told you I have 2 computers and that little box is the same on both of them, no advanced selection there. Here is a picture of it.

Thanx....Gunny

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

Hi Gunny,

First, I didn't think about you what you thought. I merely wanted to prove that those procedures from Microsoft and myself were valid as we had the box (and i wanted you to see that it exists).

On further review, it appears that only the account from my personal domain shows the advanced box. The one from hotmail (.msn) does not show the advanced box and looks like what you posted above (which I'm asking them to remove because it discloses your email address). So it would seem that the type of account is a factor in whether or not the Tab appears and those two accounts don't allow it to occur (for whatever reason) while my other one does. I do not know why it differs or how to "fix" that problem (or how that will solve your mail problem).

I need you to write a response to them so that I can reply (ASAP) before they mark the thread as solved because nobody has replied in too long (and they do that). Just post exactly what you want to say and what happened when you tried their procedures and what you should try next. I'll merely copy it over there (maybe with an edit or two) and we'll see what they suggest next. Just include that response in your next reply here.

Thanks and good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Hi Lorien

Here is something to mull over. If I right click on an email in my WLM that normally goes to my Outlook mail only, and click on details all the to addresses are my Outlook address. I have checkd on a good 15 e-mails. The only ones that are diff are the ones that normally go to my WLM account.

I normally would say if my Outlook address is no where to be found in WLM then it is impossible to get my Outlook mail there, but it is happening.

Thanx....Gunny

My Computer

Hi All

Well I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is it is fixed....
biggrin.gif

And the bad news is I am really really upset with my self, for several diff reasons. I am disappointed in myself for being really stupid, and upset for taking all of you good people's time. And those that want me on their friend list might want to take that offer back, after I tell you how I fixed it. I pride my self in being really thorough in my thinking and, trying things to fix problems. And when I say I have done so in following your suggestions, you can take it to the bank. The only thing that might get in the way of this is if I don't have a clear understanding of your suggestion. I try to keep a smooth running, and bug free computer all the time. And try to fix things before asking for help.

Now here is what I did to fix it. I think I have gone to this page before but I know I did not click on the things I did a little bit ago to solve this problem.

I opened WLM and up on the ribbon the very last item is an Icon with your name, and I clicked on it and one of the selections was View account info, so I did so. Then you have to sign in, and one of the selections down toward the bottom of the page is Windows live options, so I clicked on that and the next page gave you a selection of General, Mail, Spaces and Privacy. So I clicked on Mail, and the next choice was sending and receiving mail from other accounts, and when I clicked on that another page opened and low and behold right in front of my eyes was my Sbcglobal address, and gave you the choice of edit or remove, so I clicked on remove and it asked me if I wanted to do this and I clicked yes. The address went away, so I proceeded to send my self mail, just to see what would happen, and I got the mail in my Outlook mail but not in the WLM like before, it was fixed.

I was even ashamed to tell my wife about this, I could not believe it. I know how much time I have put in, and knowing that makes this really tough to take. And if that is not embarrassing enough just me knowing this, but to have to tell people on a forum, makes it double tough.

Well my apology goes out to all of you that tried helping me on this. :sick: I hate eating Crow..( pass the salt and pepper please )

Thanx.....Gunny

My Computer

Hi Gunny,

It's great to hear it's fixed. And don't forget, we didn't think of that either and neither did the high-priced Administrator at the WLM forum - so you're not alone and shouldn't feel so bad about it. It never occurred to me to look there or that deleting the file wouldn't do the trick - it makes no sense to have a second method necessary to turn it off. For the administrator, that should have been an easy answer - but he wasn't as good as I had anticipated. I appreciate you taking the time to explain the solution as it will help many others who face the same problem.

I will mark this thread as solved.

Good luck and best wishes.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940