Media Center will no longer burn recorded TV shows to video DVD

Sadly, the free demo/trial version is only good for a 1 minute video. I'm not likely to buy the converter when I don't even know whether it will fix my problem. However....

It does give me a good idea, which is to take some AVI files and see if I can get the Windows DVD Maker to burn a video DVD from them. My digital camera makes AVI video files, so I'll give that a try.

>>>> Clay >>>>

Oh sorry I didn't realise about the trial. Yes good idea, let me know how that goes.

Tom

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Build #1
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770K @4.4GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
    Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz Low Profile (White)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 (2GB GDDR5)
    Sound Card
    Integrated on motherboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" LG LCD/LED IPS
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung EVO 128GB SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm
    2x500GB Seagate FreeAgent 5400rpm
    PSU
    Corsair TX650W V2 (80+ Bronze)
    Case
    NZXT Phantom 410
    Cooling
    Corsair H100 Water Cooler, 1x140mm and 1x120mm stock fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Desktop 2000 Wireless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    95 Mb/s Download 70 Mb/s Upload
It does give me a good idea, which is to take some AVI files and see if I can get the Windows DVD Maker to burn a video DVD from them. My digital camera makes AVI video files, so I'll give that a try.
I pulled together 50 AVI files and successfully burned a video DVD using Windows DVD Maker. So that shows that Vista can still burn a video DVD. :)

Normally in the past, I have burned three 30-minute TV shows to one video DVD. This is what has been failing for the last few months. So I tried burning just one 30-minute recorded TV show using Media Center, and the burn was successful. This says to me that it really isn't a CODEC issue. Next I tried to burn two 30-minute shows to a video DVD disk, and the burn operation failed. :confused:

I think that this narrows down the problem a bit. I can burn one 30-minute program to a video DVD, but not two (or three). I will see if I can find some longer recorded TV shows to try to burn in order to determine whether the problem is with the amount of total show time that is burned, or the number of individual programs being burned, regardless of length.

The search goes on...

>>>> Clay >>>>

My Computer

Hello Clay,
Can you tell me the file size of the TV shows, and the capacity of the DVD's you are using.
Seems strange it will happily burn one, but not two or three.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    QX9650 (black box) [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Premium
    Memory
    8GB-4x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR 2-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 x ASUS EAH 4870 X 2 (Quad)
    Sound Card
    Supreme FX 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Fujitsu Siemens 22inch flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    150 Gig WD Raptor
    300 Gig Maxtor
    300 Gig Maxtor, (External)
    PSU
    CoolerMaster 1000
    Case
    CoolerMaster N-Vidia stacker 830
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-U12P x 1x120mm fan, 6x120mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    20Mbps
    Other Info
    Audio FX Pro 5+1 gaming head set
Can you tell me the file size of the TV shows, and the capacity of the DVD's you are using.
I was originally using Verbatim and Memorex DVD+R media, but every time the burn failed, it destroyed the disk. Now I am doing my testing on TDK DVD+RW media, which still fails the burns, but I can still recover and reuse the disk. They are all 4.7 GB capacity.

The TV shows that I am trying to burn were recorded off the air in Windows Media Center and saved as DVR-MS format files on hard disk. They are 30-minute shows, around 700MB each in the DVR-MS source files. I can easily burn six of these files to a data DVD. But when I try to burn a video DVD disk is where I start having the burn errors. I have a full recap of the details a few messages back, in case you haven't been following the thread.

I am attempting to burn a 60 minute Nova show to a video DVD now. Should have results shortly.

>>>> Clay >>>>

My Computer

I've done a few more tests using Windows Media Center to burn recorded TV shows to video DVD. I can burn one 30-minute show, but not two. I can burn one 60-minute show, but I can't burn one 90-minute show. I may try to convert some of the DVR-MS source files to AVI format and then try the burn again.

>>>> Clay >>>>

My Computer

Well, the results just get more confusing. The show that I was trying to burn to DVD is called Zoboomafoo. I burned 12 episodes to DVDs, and then started getting the burn errors. Now I can burn only one episode, but not two (or three). But when I tried burning three 30-minute episodes of Curious George to DVD, that burned successfully and played back on the video DVD player just fine.

So now I'm starting to just think that Vista and/or Media Center are just a bit flaky when it comes to burning video DVDs. So my next approach will be to convert the DVR-MS source files to MPG files first, then burn a video DVD with something other than Media Center. I just installed VLC and will try that first to convert the files. There is also a DVRMSToolbox that I might try to convert the source files.

Still, it is frustrating to know that all this used to work just fine in Media Center, and now it gets Burn Errors (sometimes) when doing the same things. Since I can't find anything else broken, I'm starting to think that something in one of the Windows Vista updates is causing the problem, but it doesn't give me any details to know exactly what the problems, so I can't fix it.

Maybe I'll try Linux....

>>>> Clay >>>>

My Computer

Although frustrated that I can't figure out why some recorded programs will burn successfully to a video DVD and others won't, it looks like I have a plausible workaround. The DVRMSTool makes it fairly easy to convert the DVR-MS source files to MPG format, and most DVD players today are able to play MPG files. So after converting to MPG files, I can now burn six 30-minute shows to a data DVD.

I think it is time for a beer!

>>>> Clay >>>>

My Computer

I have to say, I'm impressed with your patience on this issue, most would have given up ages ago.
I hope you stick around to help others.

Now go on, spoil yourself, have two beers. ;)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    QX9650 (black box) [email protected]
    Motherboard
    Asus P5Q Premium
    Memory
    8GB-4x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR 2-1066
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 x ASUS EAH 4870 X 2 (Quad)
    Sound Card
    Supreme FX 2
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Fujitsu Siemens 22inch flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    150 Gig WD Raptor
    300 Gig Maxtor
    300 Gig Maxtor, (External)
    PSU
    CoolerMaster 1000
    Case
    CoolerMaster N-Vidia stacker 830
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-U12P x 1x120mm fan, 6x120mm case fans
    Keyboard
    Logitech G15
    Mouse
    Logitech G5
    Internet Speed
    20Mbps
    Other Info
    Audio FX Pro 5+1 gaming head set
could be a buffering problem, check hardware settings for timed powering down, screen savers etc. its also worth checking out active apps, a/v , sheduled events in task manager.
some demo/trial codecs can even have timers built-in or just bug-out, this app can help sort out the badly installed/corrupt ones, klcodectt442.exe and investing in rewritable disks is worthwhile for testing or sampleing before finsihing a job.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    home brews
    Motherboard
    pc1 msi k7delta, pc2 asus kn79txd evo
    Memory
    pc1 2gb crucial, pc2 4gb gskill ripjaws
    Graphics Card(s)
    pc1 bfg 7800gs, pc2 shapphire 5770 vapor-x
    Sound Card
    onboard