microsoft xps viewer error

bmarker

my xps viewer is not working. xps viewer has stoped working. I went to look to uninstall net framework 3.0 but I cannot find it. 3.5 but no 3.0 on my list. when I try to turn off windows features for net framework, it says please wait for ever not moving at all on the bar. when I downloaded the uninstall tool for net framework 3.0 from microsoft it cannot find the requred programs or uninstall anything, if I look for the xps viewer file I can find it, I do not know or think its a good idea to go into windows and delete net framework 3.0 from my computer? but I do not know how to fix this issue? any help appreciated, no there is not a restore point.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell e521
    CPU
    2ghz amd athon x2 3800
    Memory
    4gb
    Internet Speed
    Comcast xfininity
I'm not sure why you want to uninstall .NET Framework 3.0 - we instead need to make certain it IS installed and enabled and that .xps is also enabled.

Here's how to make sure you have .NET Framework 3.0 installed and XPS Viewer enabled: What is the XPS Viewer?. The article suggests if .NET Framework 3.0 isn't installed (and I get the impression that might be the case from your post though I'm not sure how or why that happened), to install it using the download from the link in the article but the download says it isn't for Vista and I cannot understand how the two articles both from Microsoft can present such diametrically opposite guidelines - so to be on the safe side I wouldn't do it yet (but we may come back to this later if all else fails).

In the meantime, let's try some general troubleshooting, starting with a check of your system files and hard drive for corruption or problems.

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories / Command prompt and right click on command prompt and click run as Administrator.

Type sfc /scannow and enter and let it run. It will scan and try to fix some of your system files. Hopefully it will complete with no corruption it could not repair (if there is such corruption post back here or try to analyze it to find the problem file(s) using http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228. Try to attach the report (you may need to copy it to your desktop before it will permit you to attach it) here so we can see if they can be repaired with good copies from the installation disk (unless there are too many).

While in Command Prompt, type chkdsk /f /r and enter and let it run. It will want to schedule itself to run at the next restart. Answer yes and then reboot to run the program. It will scan and try to fix any corruption or bad sectors on your hard drive and mostly remove that as a potential cause.

If that doesn't work, then please post any error messages from the Event Viewer concerning xml viewer or net framework (Start / Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Event Viewer) and there WILL be some if not quite a few or even many. If you have a hard time finding any, then do whatever causes the error several times and then recheck Event Viewer sorted by date/time and the errors should be near the top. Click on the errors to get more details and copy those details here. If the errors are all the same, one copy will do. If there are different errors, then try to get one of each or, if too many, at least a good sampling. Here's how to use Event Viewer: http://www.petri.co.il/vista-event-viewer.htm. Look in the System section and the Application section.

If that doesn't work, try a clean boot http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135. If the problem goes away then it's just a matter of tracking down the culprit causing the problem. Follow the procedures in the article. Once found, delete, remove, deactivate, or uninstall it. Once done be sure to reset Vista back to normal status as explained in the procedures. If the problem occurs in clean mode then just restore the system to normal status and reboot - this solution is not going to work.

Boot into Safe mode with networking and see if the problem occurs there. Either result helps us narrow down the search for the cause.

If that doesn't work, we'll need to do a system repair/upgrade using a genuine Windows Vista Installation Disk (one you own or one you can borrow from ANYONE) - recovery disks or OEM installation disks will not do the trick. To do this you have to also be able to boot normally - but that doesn't seem to be a problem here. Here's the procedure: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html. Although this will not affect your data, settings, or programs, you should still backup your data before starting just to be on the safe side. You may have a lot of updates to re-install (including any service packs you had to remove). If the version on the system came with SP1 or SP2 pre-installed and the disk is an earlier version, then you'll need to make a slipstream disk as follows: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/151606-vista-sp1-slipstream-installation-dvd.html.

I hope this helps. If not, post back with details of what happened when you tried these options (as well as the requested results, attached files, copies of reports, and any other details you discover that you think might be useful for us to know) and we'll see where to go from there.

Good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
so I ran the first scan sfc /scannow, Ive attched a zip file because the log file the scanner created is over 10mb and there was errors that were not fixed.

Attachments

• CBS.zip
    643.1 KB · Views: 4

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell e521
    CPU
    2ghz amd athon x2 3800
    Memory
    4gb
    Internet Speed
    Comcast xfininity
ok I was able to find this error message in event viewer, I have to step out so I have yet researched it.

Attachments

• xps viewer error.jpg
    xps viewer error.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 221

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell e521
    CPU
    2ghz amd athon x2 3800
    Memory
    4gb
    Internet Speed
    Comcast xfininity
Pertenent section of the log:
Code:
2010-11-20 09:25:26, Info                  CSI    0000019b [SR] Repair complete
2010-11-20 09:25:26, Info                  CSI    0000019c [SR] Committing transaction
2010-11-20 09:25:26, Info                  CSI    0000019d Creating NT transaction (seq 1), objectname [6]"(null)"
2010-11-20 09:25:26, Info                  CSI    0000019e Created NT transaction (seq 1) result 0x00000000, handle @0x17b8
2010-11-20 09:25:26, Error                 CSI    0000019f (F) STATUS_CANNOT_DELETE #3760502# from RtlRunPrimitiveOperationsFromCallbacksAgainstSil(...)[gle=0xd0000121]
2010-11-20 09:25:26, Info                  CSI    000001a0 [SR] Unable to complete Verify and Repair transaction because some of the files that need to be repaired are in use. A reboot is required to complete this operation.
2010-11-20 09:25:26, Info                  CSI    000001a1 [SR] Repairing 1 components
2010-11-20 09:25:26, Info                  CSI    000001a2 [SR] Beginning Verify and Repair transaction
2010-11-20 09:25:27, Info                  CSI    000001a3 Hashes for file member \??\C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"imageres.dll" :
  Found: {l:32 b:+pm3oVNZi2P7WGsG/MmYHcCsMtTzL7ptwtuDQaPIjPY=} Expected: {l:32 b:aRAlOqXf1+JlbGW3In59VGZI1sVWAFUtefonXQMxqgA=}
2010-11-20 09:25:27, Info                  CSI    000001a4 [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32"\[l:24{12}]"imageres.dll" from store
2010-11-20 09:25:27, Info                  CSI    000001a5 Repair results created:

Do you have any skins installed, or anything that changes the look of Vista, or never heard of them before!?

Thanks!

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
Can you click on the details tab of that Event Viewer error message you posted and send a screenshot of that please?

Thank you!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Hello!

.net Framework 3.0 is always a bit different. Some argue that it was never a proper release, and various different things. Things on your machine will work differently than for ours for this. What happens when you run this: Download details: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package

Does .net Framework 3.0 show up in your Add/Remove Programs and Features, and does your C:\Windows\Microsoft.net\ folder contain a 3.0 subfolder?

Thanks!

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
hello I fixed the problem, I formatted and deleted my hardrive. I have another issue maybe should post somewhere else but I guess I'll see what happends this error is present from a clean install.

Attachments

• windows defender error.jpg
    windows defender error.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 178

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell e521
    CPU
    2ghz amd athon x2 3800
    Memory
    4gb
    Internet Speed
    Comcast xfininity
I'm sorry you felt it necessary to resort to such a drastic step to resolve the problem (I think we could eventually have solved it without needing to go so far) - but then again, it was a solution extremely likely to succeed (and apparently it did). I'm glad that issue is resolved. Though starting a new thread is commonly advised here, let's just see if we can deal with this here and do that only if we need specialized assistance.

This error typically occurs when Windows Defender is unable to update definitions. There can be several causes. Let's address the most common ones:

1. Have you activated Vista? If not, please do so before proceeding any further. If automatic activation does not work, try doing it manually. To manually activate, go to start, search box and type in slui 4 and enter. Enter your country and press next. You'll be on a screen with a phone number and a bunch of codes at the bottom. Call the number and wade through the automated prompts until you reach a human. Have your product code handy as it will be requested. Explain the situation and it's only installed on that one PC. They should give you a code to enter on that screen to activate Vista.

2. Completely update Vista with Windows Update - including SP1 and SP2 and everything else made available (except device drivers). If you can do this, one of the potential causes of the problem is eliminated. If not, we need to address the overall ability to do updates - post back in that case. You may need to do so several times between required reboots as some won't present until prior ones have been fully installed. After a clean install, this could take some time as there are over 150 updates plus the service packs (depending on where you started based on the version on the Installation Disk you used).

3. Confirm that the Defender Service is started and automatic:

a. Click Start and in Start search type services.msc and press Enter.

b. In services window, locate Windows Defender service in the services list.

c. Verify that the Status is Started and the startup type is Automatic. You may need to reboot for this change to take effect.

4. After this, update the Windows Defender definitions (which is the real cause of the message assuming the above did not resolve the problem). It may occur automatically once all the updates are installed or you may need to configure it to be done automatically or you may need to do it manually. The following articles may help: How to troubleshoot definition update issues for Windows Defender, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836941, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923159 .

I hope this helps. If not, post back and we'll examine some of the less common causes. Please include the names and versions of any other security software you have installed and/or are running. Also, please advise when this message occurs.

Good luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

amazing that I can wipe out all of my data and reload fresh and clean and begin with a windows defender error. I read that microsoft security essentials shuts windows defender down but so I go to my processes and shut of microsoft security essentials and windows defender still will not turn on. clicking on the link looking button to turn windows defender makes it just sit there, you cannot do anything on the window including closing it normally. also I find that I red that a registry problem may cause it and I do a registry scan and I already have 200 some odd errors and Ive done nothing but install the updates from microsoft and a few other things like flash and java and direct x and my dvd software. so I must of boughten or downloaded errors a fist of errors!!! hah! so I heard that microsoft security essentials and windows defender may not work together but why would microsoft do that~ no uninstall windows defender either. it just erks me to have something on my computer not working right. anyhow I don't know what else to do, I am researching this, any tips are helpful.

thanks happy computing I bet nobody has a computer that can't get an error from surfing on the net so much for universality.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell e521
    CPU
    2ghz amd athon x2 3800
    Memory
    4gb
    Internet Speed
    Comcast xfininity
Download Autoruns Autoruns for Windows and install and run it. It is far superior to but does essentially the same thing as msconfig. Click on the Everything Tab. Now go through every entry and find ANYTHING that relates to Windows Defender (but not to MSE) and uncheck the box to prevent it from starting at startup. Save the changes and reboot. If you found something, I'll bet it was a process to update Defender which wouldn't work because Defender was disabled by MSE and that this fixes the problem and eliminates the error message.

I'm not 100% certain, but knowing that MSE disables Defender - it cannot uninstall it because Defender is built into the Vista system too deeply and cannot be uninstalled (and it disables it because it does cause a conflict because everything in Defender is in MSE so Defender is not necessary at all) and that you have installed MSE but are still getting a Defender error suggests this might work and is at least worth a try.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

P.S. If you started and put the Defender service on automatic as previously suggested, please deactivate it again. Although this probably occurred through Autoruns, it's best to check services directly to make sure.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940