Monitor causes strangely high CPU usage

Hi rf13,

Have you managed to solve your problem? From a quick read of this thread, it would appear that the problem centres around an external monitor. Have you tried an alternative monitor to see if that helps?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dwarf Dwf/11/2012 r09/2013
    CPU
    Intel Core-i5-3570K 4-core @ 3.4GHz (Ivy Bridge) (OC 4.2GHz)
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M
    Memory
    4 x 4GB DDR3-1600 Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B (16GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GeForce GTX770 Gaming OC 2GB
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition on board solution (ALC 898)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VA1912w Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III x2 (RAID 0)
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA II x2
    Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB SATA II
    Iomega 1.5TB Ext USB 2.0
    WD 2.0TB Ext USB 3.0
    PSU
    XFX Pro Series 850W Semi-Modular
    Case
    Gigabyte IF233
    Cooling
    1 x 120mm Front Inlet 1 x 120mm Rear Exhaust
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 3000 (USB)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Comfort Mouse 3000 for Business (USB)
    Internet Speed
    NetGear DG834Gv3 ADSL Modem/Router (Ethernet) ~4.0 Mb/s (O2)
    Other Info
    Optical Drive: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH10LS30 SATA Bluray
    Lexmark S305 Printer/Scanner/Copier (USB)
    WEI Score: 8.1/8.1/8.5/8.5/8.25
    Asus Eee PC 1011PX Netbook (Windows 7 x86 Starter)
well thank you all for your help - it was a problem with the processor which dell finally replaced after i spent two weeks permanently on the phone to india, had the motherboard replaced twice, tried running the computer on one memory with each memory placed in different slots and ran a total reinstallation as well, again ... working like a treat again now

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS1330
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo processors, T9300: 2x 2.5GHz
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GS - 1663MB - 128MB for Video
    Sound Card
    Sigma Tel High Def Aucio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2008WFP (Analog)
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050 pixels
also - in case anyone is interested, apparently dell had big probs wiht the nvidia grpahics card, bit those are resolved now, they were surprised when replacing the motherboard did not fix the prob.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS1330
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2008WFP (Analog)
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050 pixels
well thank you all for your help - it was a problem with the processor which dell finally replaced after i spent two weeks permanently on the phone to india, had the motherboard replaced twice, tried running the computer on one memory with each memory placed in different slots and ran a total reinstallation as well, again ... working like a treat again now

Glad to hear it's all working for you now. That was an odd problem but an interesting one to troubleshoot :)

My Computer

Hi All,

I'm having the exact same problem in my D630 T9300 with the NVidia Quadro NVS 135M. I've tried everything, including reinstalling different operating systems (Ubuntu and Windows 7 x64 besides the original Vista Ultimate 32bits that came preinstalled).

I'm amazed i finally find a post with the same symptoms. I'd like to thank all of those who posted to this thread, as my next step will be to call Dell Support as it's obviously a hardware issue.

Just for the record, rf13, after replacing the CPU, has this issue been solved?

Regards,

Jhovanny

My Computer

Hi Jhovanny,
Once the CPU was replaced the issue was completely resolved and my computer is working very well now. The only problem is that it took weeks of phone calls to Dell and trouble shooting steps before they were prepared to replace the CPU. Good luck with it.

Rory

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS1330
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2008WFP (Analog)
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050 pixels
Hi Rory,

I am having the same issue on my XPS m1330 except that the problem seems a little more random can occur with the monitor unplugged. Anyways, I was just curious if your computer is still working well. I want a little more ammo on my side for my fight with dell so I guess I will quote your forum posts and ask them to replace my processor. I dont know if you still have the service request number you used but it may or not be helpful if they could pull up your record and see what worked. Anyways, thanks for the help.

Jerry

My Computer

Hi Jerry

I have actually had some more issues with my computer. The problem started reoccurring recently -- it shoots to 100 CPU without the monitor with me too -- it was videos, backup and restore, that noticeably seemed to kick it off. I called Dell they asked me to send it in to their centre for a technician to have a look at it, I specifically requested that they did not reformat the hard disk as it was clearly a hardware issue and I had already tried reformatting twice. They sent it back with the hard disk reformatted saying it was working. I switched it on, put on a video and the problem reoccurred. Tits. Enough wingeing.

They then replaced the processor and the motherboard again and the computer has worked perfectly for the last two weeks, they seem to be confident that it wont reoccur again, but I guess they have to be.

To try and be helpful here are my case numbers:
642985446 or

You can try quoting these forum posts but I doubt it will fit in the box for Dell.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS1330
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell SP2008WFP (Analog)
    Screen Resolution
    1680 x 1050 pixels
Gosh that really sucks. I was hoping that you were going to say that your computer was working fine still. Thanks for the case numbers. Hopefully it will make it a little bit less of a headache to get this problem fixed. I wonder if they would let me change to an XPS 1530. I love the size of the size of the 1330 but it just doesnt seem to be very well made.

My Computer

Dell seems to recoil at any suggestion of a new computer, so that may be a little tricky, despite it probably being cheaper than what they have done for me so far.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS1330
    CPU
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card