"New Contact" and "New Contact Group" Button Missing

ByLine
How to Restore the Missing "New Contact" and "New Contact Group" Button in Vista Contacts Folder
Synopsis
This will show you how to restore the missing New Contact and New Contact Group toolbar buttons in the C:\Users\(user name)\Contacts folder window.
How to Restore the Missing "New Contact" and "New Contact Group" Button in Vista Contacts Folder

information   Information
This will show you how to restore the missing New Contact and New Contact Group toolbar buttons in the C:\Users\(user name)\Contacts folder window.
Tip   Tip
If the New Contact or New Contact Group button does not work, then double check to make sure that Windows Contacts is set as the default program with all of it's associations set to it as well.

EXAMPLE: C:\Users\(user name)\Contacts Folder Window

NOTE: The New Contact and New Contact Group toolbar buttons are boxed in red below.

Contacts.jpg

Here's How:
1. In Windows Explorer, navigate to the C:\Users\(user name)\Contacts folder.​
2. Right click on a empty space in the main middle pane of the window and click on Customize This Folder. (See screenshot below)​
Right_Click2.jpg
3. Under the What kind of folder do you want, click on the drop down arrow next to the listed template. (See screenshot below)​
Properties1.jpg
4. Click on Contacts to select it. (See screenshot below)​
NOTE: Check Also apply this template to all subfolders if you want to change all subfolders in the Contacts folder to the Contacts template as well.
Properties2.jpg
5. Click on OK. (See screenshot above)​

That's it,​
Shawn​

Last edited by a moderator:
Shawn Brink

Comments

Wow! Even trying to figure how to word this issue was a problem for me! This answer was "spot on". I have the feeling I will be returning many times. Hope I have an opportunity to help some one as well.

Thanks again Shawn

rc

Where were you three hours ago when I first tackled this problem! If I'd only searched for help outside the program, I'd have found you. How I found the forums I'm not sure, but you can bet I'll be back whenever I can't solve something on my own. Many thanks, SHawn!
Joan:D:D:D

Brink,

Additional information and how and why this was important to me.

I had been frustrated by my inability to use a contact group I'd created. The problem was that I had no "New Contact Group" button. I had no idea was I was missing it. To create a group, I went into my contacts folder and created a new subfolder. I did this by right clicking and selecting "create a new folder". I then copied the contacts (using explorer) and pasted them into the new subfolder.

I could find them and manipulate them in that folder.

I could NOT find them or use them in anything related to outlook express.

In hindsight, the reason is clear: the folder I created was an artifact of explorer and was invisible to outlook express.

I've seen a bunch of others who may have the same issue.

Now I've simply copied my desired contacts out of the explorer-created folder and into the contacts-created group. All is good.

My mistake may be useful as a tutorial to others.

Thanks,
Ken

Thank you very much for this little tip. I couldnt find a way to consilidate my many email addys into managable contact lists..like, family, friends, etc.
This fixed in a jiffy!
Way cool, and thank you again.

Yeah, thanks! Again.
I had to restore my system to an earlier restore point a couple of days ago. Nothing major, I just wanted to get my settings right.
And when I went to my mail and my contacts.....Yep, my New Contact Group Icon was missing again.
Thank goodness I had saved this particular page into my favorites folder, under "Windows Mail".
I opened the favorites folder, found the link to this page, and refreshed my memory on how to get that icon back.
So yeah, Thanks! Again. (and again, and again and......)
Russell