One of my Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Cores Has A Temperature Lower Than The Others?

montecarlo1987

One of my Intel Core 2 Quad processor cores has a temperature consistently lower than the other 3 cores, WHY?

Hello. I have a question. I need to know the reason why one of my cores (Core 2) is running about 3-4 degrees below the temperatures of the other 3 cores on my Intel Core 2 Quad processor. Restarting and rebooting seems not to help, it is always the same core with the lower temperature. Is there something wrong with that particular core or something overly defective with the processor itself??? It rarely ever fluctuates and stays at 33 degrees Celsius. The other core temperatures are around 36-37 degrees at rest/idle and do frequently go up when an action is performed on the computer.

Please let me know what is going on with this consistent core 2 temperature and please provide me with a reason why this is happening. Is it something that is beginning to go with this processor? Is there anything that can be done about it to get all four (4) core temperatures in balance.

Thank you!

My Computer

Re: One of my Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Cores Has A Temperature Lower Than The Othe

Is that a Q6xxx series or a Q9xxx series quad core?

The idle temps aren't particularly accurate as some of the sensors can become 'stuck'. As long as the temps move (and aren't too high) when under load, it's all okay.

On quads, it's not uncommon for an uneven temp to be reported across all the cores.

On my chip, my 2nd core always reported lower than the others and over time my 1,3 and 4th core sensors stopped moving at idle temps. Stuck sensors are more common with the Q9xx series.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    i7 3770K HT ON 4.7GHz
    Motherboard
    P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    X-FI Forte + ATH-AD900
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x2 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200 / 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200W
    Case
    Lian Li PC-V1020A
    Cooling
    NH-D14: 3x140mm Gelid Wing 14: Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine Cherry MX Black
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs:
    Clevo Sager P170HM //
    17.3 Matte 1920x1200 //
    i7 2720QM // 8GB 1333mhz //
    Dedicated GTX 485M //
    240GB Intel 520 + 750GB + Blu-Ray //

Samsung Story 2TB USB 3.0
Re: One of my Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Cores Has A Temperature Lower Than The Othe

Thanks for your response. My processor is Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor.

Yes, as of today I again checked the core temps. Same as before. The second core is 33 degress C and the rest are 35-38 degrees C. I know they fluctuate back and forth, but the second core is most of the time the same (33 degrees). Yet, if I open a browser, it will also fluctuate with little higher temps and them back to 33 degrees at rest.

My Computer

I have the same chip - and some cores simply stop responding at idle temps.

From day one my Core #4 was stuck at 42c, my Core #3 38c and over time my Core # 1 eventually stuck at 38c. The only core that still has movement is my core #2

q9550 temps.JPG

However, since they all move when under load, and the the CPU (Tcase) temp is accurate, it's not a problem.

I've been overclocking this chip of mine for exactly a year now, so the 'stuck' sensors aren't a cause for concern or a sign of impending failure :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    i7 3770K HT ON 4.7GHz
    Motherboard
    P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 2133mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Gigabyte GTX 670 OC WindForce SLI
    Sound Card
    X-FI Forte + ATH-AD900
    Monitor(s) Displays
    x2 Dell U2410 / 58" Samsung / "40 Sony
    Screen Resolution
    1920*1200 / 1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    2x Intel 520 240GB * Crucial M4 128GB * 2x Samsung F3 1TB (RAID 0) * 2x WD Caviar Blacks 2TB (RAID 0)
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200W
    Case
    Lian Li PC-V1020A
    Cooling
    NH-D14: 3x140mm Gelid Wing 14: Sunbeam Rheobus Extreme
    Keyboard
    Topre Realforce // Ducky Shine Cherry MX Black
    Mouse
    Razer Imperator + Thermaltake Theron
    Other Info
    Laptop Specs:
    Clevo Sager P170HM //
    17.3 Matte 1920x1200 //
    i7 2720QM // 8GB 1333mhz //
    Dedicated GTX 485M //
    240GB Intel 520 + 750GB + Blu-Ray //

Samsung Story 2TB USB 3.0

Hello. Thanks for sharing your CPU temps experience with me. I have learned since I am not alone. I have read article on this if you Google it. I see this Intel COre 2 Quad, particularly the Q9XXX series is very common.

Also I have learned something that I want to share. It depends on what CPU monitor (program/utility)you are using. Yes! I was using RealTemp 3.0.0 and this senario has presented this temp. discrepency I have stated above. I AM blaming RealTemp. Why? Since that time, I also tested the CPU temp using another program called HWM BlackBox 1.1 and it's wonderful detailed statistics (modern detailed program BUILT FOR Windows VISTA with a modern Windows Vista/7 interface). BlackBox shows the 4 core temps usually as the same temps. Yes, they do fluctuate at different intervals and different times as normal. This program provides so much data that I have cross referenced with other kind of programs monitoring my other stats and they are fairly accurate with each other. I have only used it for a few days now and I will keep using it until proves otherwise.

My Computer

my cores on my chip are always different all the time. that is normal, just the way they run and nothing to worry about

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    intel core 2 quad Q9450
    Motherboard
    gigabyte EP45-DQ6
    Memory
    8gb Gskill PC6400
    Graphics Card(s)
    Visiontek Radeon 4870x2 2GB
    Sound Card
    X-FI fatality FPS 7.1