Power Surge and now no LAN connection

pauld32

Hi users,

I am in need of some help. About a week ago, a lightning storm caused a power surge which fried my ethernet modem. After replacing the modem, I still could not get back online using my LAN connection with my Toshiba Satellite laptop. In trying to rule out software issues, I have uninstalled and now reinstalled the network drivers for my LAN connection. At this point, the device manager does not even recognize the LAN network adapters (also, there is no folder labeled "other devices," so I don't think they are even showing up under unrecognized devices). Another relevant piece of information is that my computer becomes extremely hot to the touch in the area just around where the ethernet plug is.

Can I safely conclude that this is a hardware issue, and that the surge has also fried my LAN card? Any suggestions on how I can resolve this (other than moving to wireless ethernet or an ethernet adapter through a USB?

THanks for your advice!

My Computer

Update to my original post: I tried unplugging the computer, pulling out the battery, waiting 30 second and then restarting with the BIOS default settings (f2 then f9 on my computer). The computer still does not recognize my network cards.

My Computer

It sounds like your card is fried.
Are there any settings you can look at in the bios?
Have you tried to connect the laptop directly to another computer?
Try a new cable.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Self Built
    CPU
    I5 3570K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
    Memory
    4 x 4GB corsair ballistix sport DDR3 1600 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)