Problems with computer using Windows Vista

Roary

My computer is supposed to be protected by Shield Deluxe anti-virus etc. But now it is acting really slow and doing weird things. I contacted Shield Deluxe and they referred me to IYogi Support. The support person spent a lot of time checking my computer and told me it was severely infected with malware and in danger of crashing. He asked for control of my computer and showed me numerous instances of malware present. He offered to install cleaning software, valid for two years which would thoroughly clean my computer registery. The cost was $440.00 for the two years. During the long discussion he explained if I took it to a technician it would most likely cost me more than double that amount. Can anyone comment, give me insight or otherwise inform me in any way about how to handle the situation I have described? Is anyone familiar with IYogi? How do I know this is legitimate? According to a survey Shield Deluxe is supposed to be one of the best in virus protection. I would appreciate any comments anyone can offer.

My Computer

Hi and welcome to sevenfourms

Dont pay them. You can do it yourself with maybe $50 in software. If you have the time and have all the data off that drive that you need you could rid yourself of any of the nasties (if you even have them) in 4 maybe 5 hours.

All you need is you vista dvd, software anti virus, malware, and firewall.

If you decide to do it your self we can help walk you thru it.

Ken

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inspiron E 1405
    CPU
    [email protected]
    Memory
    4 gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    integrated intel 945
    Sound Card
    integrated
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    300 gig internal
    Internet Speed
    10 down 1.5 up
Ken is on target as always.

Malwarebytes is a good program to use for malware and free.
Malwarebytes.org

I had never heard of Shield Deluxe before. Was this supposed to scan for malware in addition to viruses?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD AM2 6000+
    Motherboard
    Nvidia M2N-E SLI
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 7600GT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    WD
    Case
    Cooler Master
    Cooling
    Three fans
    Keyboard
    Dell Quietkey
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 MBPS

I think it might be the cause of the problem. I use web of trust in firefox and when I click on the link its all red, all ratings are red. It doesnt specify if its malicious or not but I would definitely say its safe to assume that.

Also Roary, Anti-virus programs that cost aren't always the best. As previously state above do it yourself, save the time and frustration and know its done right. We'll help ya :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intergrated Intel Graphics
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    PSU
    Power Adapter
    Case
    It's special, it flips open :)
    Keyboard
    Acer
    Mouse
    Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Down: 16mb/s Up: 1.6mb/s
    Other Info
    I killed my HP Laptop :'(
To all of you who so promptly posted a reply I am so very thankful. I am retired and I don't have that kind of funds to fix this situation. But I really do want to get my computer cleaned up.
It is getting late night for me right now. I do want to have your help to fix these problems so I will make this contact again tomorrow. Again, I really, really, appreciate all of you who offered help and suggestions.

My Computer

Run all the scans in safe mode, along with SuperAntiSpyware. Also, the Ubuntu live cd can be used to remove annoying malware. $440? Rubbish.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    [email protected] w/6MB L2 cache 1066MHz FSB
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    9300M GS 256MB + Intel Integrated 4500MHD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    13.1" WXGA True Colour Tough
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
Seriously, $440.00 could buy a new netbook. Best bet is to run the free app's that have been suggested in this thread, then post back with the results. Should take care of it for the most part.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    PSU
    Power Adapter
    Case
    It's special, it flips open :)
    Keyboard
    Acer
    Mouse
    Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Down: 16mb/s Up: 1.6mb/s
    Other Info
    I killed my HP Laptop :'(
Netbooks are pointless. Some smart phones are faster.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    [email protected] w/6MB L2 cache 1066MHz FSB
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    9300M GS 256MB + Intel Integrated 4500MHD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    13.1" WXGA True Colour Tough
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
Ken is on target as always.

Malwarebytes is a good program to use for malware and free.
Malwarebytes.org

I had never heard of Shield Deluxe before. Was this supposed to scan for malware in addition to viruses?

Thank you for your reply. I'm actually not very computer literate. I can't even figure out how to reply to your response to me. Anyway, can you tell me more about the malware site you mentioned above. I tried to download it but it would not install. You mentioned it was free. But I can't find a free one. Only the downloading is free When I try to install it I have to purchase it. Can you help me more with this, please? I really want to get my computer working again and I don't really know how.

My Computer

Dont pay them. You can do it yourself with maybe $50 in software. If you have the time and have all the data off that drive that you need you could rid yourself of any of the nasties (if you even have them) in 4 maybe 5 hours.

Ken

I'm not very good at using computers and stumble my way through it. I appreciate your offer of help. Can you tell me more about this vista dvd you mentioned above. I have no idea what it is, where to get it or what to do with it. I have no intention of paying out that money. And I am so encouraged since several from this forum offered assistance. I have never used a forum before and don't even really know how to reply. I just guessed at this method and I think it works. Thank you for any further help you can give me.

My Computer

Hello Roary, and welcome to Vista Forums.

If you do not mind backing up anything that you do not want to lose to format and reinstall Vista, then please post back with what brand of computer you have. I'll post back with instructions from your computer manufacturer's on how to do a factory restore of Vista to have it back like the day you first got it. :)

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD

Thank you for responding. I don't know much about computers and I don't even know if this is the way to reply to messages in this forum. I found a survey once on the internet involving several types of antivirus protection programs. PCSecurity Shield was given top marks so I decided to use it. It seems to be doing a real good job until suddenly my computer starting acting very weird. Upon doing some investigationg I learned (at least to my limited knowledge) that it actually has a number of spyware/malware on it. I am very anxious to get it back working properly again but I don't have much knowledge or experience to help me accomplish this. I would greatly appreciate any help you could give me.

Roary

Run all the scans in safe mode, along with SuperAntiSpyware. Also, the Ubuntu live cd can be used to remove annoying malware. $440? Rubbish.

Thank you for responding. I am not very good at using computers. I don't even know if this is the proper method of reply to your message. Could you please explain to me more about how to do the things you mentioned above. I haven't got a clue how to begin.

Roary.

Seriously, $440.00 could buy a new netbook. Best bet is to run the free app's that have been suggested in this thread, then post back with the results. Should take care of it for the most part.

Yes, you are right. But I tried to run what was supposed to be free but only the downloading is free. When I try to install it says I have to purchase it. Is there anything more you can tell about this? I tried it again this morning (at least it is where I live) and I could not even begin to install it now because for some reason a parental control is on and I must enter a password to allow the program. I don't know anything about this parental control. Never ever used it. Don't know how or why it appeared. No children here. And I don't know of any password. Do you have any further advice about this control as to how I can get rid of it etc. Thank you for any help you can give.

Roary

Since I am so unskilled with computers I don't really understand your instruction. How do I run scans, how do I get into safe mode and I have no idea what UBuntu live cd is. Is there anyway you can enlighten a person like me. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

Roary,

You don't have to be great using computers. That's what vistax64 is for.

As Brink said, let us know if you want to reinstall Vista and we will be happy to provide information to protect your system. Are you willing to do this? If yes, we first need to make sure you have the DVDs necessary to reinstall. Please tell us as much about your hardware as possible (make, model, etc) and what DVDs came with your computer.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD AM2 6000+
    Motherboard
    Nvidia M2N-E SLI
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 7600GT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    WD
    Case
    Cooler Master
    Cooling
    Three fans
    Keyboard
    Dell Quietkey
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 MBPS
Hello Roary, and welcome to Vista Forums.

If you do not mind backing up anything that you do not want to lose to format and reinstall Vista, then please post back with what brand of computer you have. I'll post back with instructions from your computer manufacturer's on how to do a factory restore of Vista to have it back like the day you first got it. :)

Thank you so much. Here is the info you asked for.
Windows Vista Hom Premium Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
System Model = HP-Pavilion GN559AA-ABA a622On
System Ser. # CNH7381418
Chassis Ser. #DM0001
Processor - 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 Kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Main Circuit Board
Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Berkeley 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOD - American Megatrends Inc. 5.07 08/08/2007

This might be overload but hopefully you can get from that what is necessary. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Roary.

My Computer

Roary,

You don't have to be great using computers. That's what vistax64 is for.

As Brink said, let us know if you want to reinstall Vista and we will be happy to provide information to protect your system. Are you willing to do this? If yes, we first need to make sure you have the DVDs necessary to reinstall. Please tell us as much about your hardware as possible (make, model, etc) and what DVDs came with your computer.

Thank you so much. Here is the info you asked for.
Windows Vista Hom Premium Service Pack 1 (build 6001)
System Model = HP-Pavilion GN559AA-ABA a622On
System Ser. # CNH7381418
Chassis Ser. #DM0001
Processor - 2.20 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 Kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Main Circuit Board
Board: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Berkeley 1.xx
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOD - American Megatrends Inc. 5.07 08/08/2007

This might be overload but hopefully you can get from that what is necessary. Please let me know if you need anything further.

Roary.

My Computer

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel i7-8700K 5 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS ROG Maximus XI Formula Z390
    Memory
    64 GB (4x16GB) G.SKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4 3600 MHz (F4-3600C18D-32GTZR)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI-O11G-GAMING
    Sound Card
    Integrated Digital Audio (S/PDIF)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Samsung Odyssey G7 27"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440
    Hard Drives
    1TB Samsung 990 PRO M.2,
    4TB Samsung 990 PRO PRO M.2,
    8TB WD MyCloudEX2Ultra NAS
    PSU
    Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W
    Case
    Thermaltake Core P3
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H115i
    Keyboard
    Logitech wireless K800
    Mouse
    Logitech MX Master 3
    Internet Speed
    1 Gb/s Download and 35 Mb/s Upload
    Other Info
    Logitech Z625 speaker system,
    Logitech BRIO 4K Pro webcam,
    HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn,
    APC SMART-UPS RT 1000 XL - SURT1000XLI,
    Galaxy S23 Plus phone
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
    Manufacturer/Model
    HP Envy Y0F94AV
    CPU
    i7-7500U @ 2.70 GHz
    Memory
    16 GB DDR4-2133
    Graphics card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
    Sound Card
    Conexant ISST Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.3" UHD IPS touch
    Screen Resolution
    3480 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    512 GB M.2 SSD

Ken

I'm not very good at using computers and stumble my way through it. I appreciate your offer of help. Can you tell me more about this vista dvd you mentioned above. I have no idea what it is, where to get it or what to do with it. I have no intention of paying out that money. And I am so encouraged since several from this forum offered assistance. I have never used a forum before and don't even really know how to reply. I just guessed at this method and I think it works. Thank you for any further help you can give me.

Ken
Most certainly I want to do it myself and will certainly appreciate help in walking me throuth it. I really need to get this computer back in order. Thanks so much.

Roary

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD AM2 6000+
    Motherboard
    Nvidia M2N-E SLI
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 7600GT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    WD
    Case
    Cooler Master
    Cooling
    Three fans
    Keyboard
    Dell Quietkey
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 MBPS
First thing is to install sp2, here is the link, choose the correct option x86 for 32bit machines, or x64 for a 64 bit machine:

Service Pack 2 for Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista

Then install either avg, avast! or antivir. Personally, I would recommend avg, but here they all are:

AVG: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition - Reviews and free AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition downloads at Download.com

avast!: Avast Home Edition Free Antivirus downloads - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

AntiVir: Avira AntiVir Personal - Free Antivirus - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Then install new drivers at the site previous posted by lemur

Then Run windows update and install everything.

That should have your machine running like new.

If you want, after the above steps are done, I would defrag the hard drive, boot files, and run the disk cleaner.

After thats done, install all previous installed progams. ie. games, browsers, pictures, music, etc.

Then you can enjoy having a excellent running machine :)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Integrated