Problems with computer using Windows Vista

Avira is the best free antivirus, Norton 360 if you want to pay. After you install everything, create an image with Macrium Reflect Free as a backup too.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    [email protected] w/6MB L2 cache 1066MHz FSB
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    9300M GS 256MB + Intel Integrated 4500MHD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    13.1" WXGA True Colour Tough
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
Seriously, $440.00 could buy a new netbook. Best bet is to run the free app's that have been suggested in this thread, then post back with the results. Should take care of it for the most part.

Ok I appreciate your help. I had a very busy weekend so did not have time to do everything suggested. I do have my computer up and working fairly well again. But I think there is still a few things which need to be done. I was in contact with the folks I purchased my anti-virus/spyware/malware from i.e. PCShield Deluxe 2009 and there were a couple of components on that which I was not running properly. I corrected that and it really went to work on my computer and disinfected a number of areas which helped to get it running much better. It is really a good program and I found it a couple of years ago by doing research on the net as to which were the top antivirus programs done by an independent research company. So that is why I purchased it.
When you mention above free app's does that stand for applications? I had some trouble with downloading some of those free things because it seemed that in the end only the downloading was free. Once it was downloaded I was asked to purchase it. What do you say about that?

Roary

My Computer

malwarebytes is free no cost very good program

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo
    CPU
    intel quad 2.4
    Memory
    6GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    in vidieo
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
    Hard Drives
    650GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
Ok I appreciate your help. I had a very busy weekend so did not have time to do everything suggested. I do have my computer up and working fairly well again. But I think there is still a few things which need to be done. I was in contact with the folks I purchased my anti-virus/spyware/malware from i.e. PCShield Deluxe 2009 and there were a couple of components on that which I was not running properly. I corrected that and it really went to work on my computer and disinfected a number of areas which helped to get it running much better. It is really a good program and I found it a couple of years ago by doing research on the net as to which were the top antivirus programs done by an independent research company. So that is why I purchased it.
When you mention above free app's does that stand for applications? I had some trouble with downloading some of those free things because it seemed that in the end only the downloading was free. Once it was downloaded I was asked to purchase it. What do you say about that?

Roary

Hello Roary,
First of all welcome.
Yes applications is the word, you were correct.;)
Did you follow the instructions that Brink gave you?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    LAPTOP. HP Pavilion dv7-1005TX .
    CPU
    IntelCore [email protected] x2
    Memory
    4.00 GB installed, max capacity 8 GB.
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT & 512MB DDR2 dedicated graphics mem.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17.0" diagonal WXGA + High definition brightview widescreen infinity display.
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 900
    Hard Drives
    SPECS.
    Drive 1. 298.09 GB Fujitzu MHZ2320BH G2 ATA Device
    Drive 2. [ All as above.]

CONFIG. C:\287.65 GB, D:\298.09 GB, E:\10.44 GB.
    Case
    Laptop / notebook.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    IBM enhanced
    Mouse
    Synaptics PS/2 Port touch pad.
    Internet Speed
    ADSL [ Too slow.]
    Other Info
    Webcam.
Malwarebytes has no on-demand scanner. As above, Avira if you don't want to pay or Kaspersky or Norton 360 if you do. Also, the free antivirus arn't updated as frequently and you will have to put with pop ups to pay, in the case of Avira.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
Hi and welcome to sevenfourms

Dont pay them. You can do it yourself with maybe $50 in software. If you have the time and have all the data off that drive that you need you could rid yourself of any of the nasties (if you even have them) in 4 maybe 5 hours.

All you need is you vista dvd, software anti virus, malware, and firewall.

If you decide to do it your self we can help walk you thru it.

Ken

Ken:
I made all the back up disks and then went to (as my computer suggested) system restore. I could not get it to work. I created a restore point for March 1st. 2009. It told me the restore point had been successfully completed. I then tried to restore the system to that point. But from here on nothing seemed to work. The Automatic Guide said it was having trouble finding the next step and so I tried it manually. That would not work either. It told me I must go into User Accounts and click continue. I managed to do that. It still did not work. Do you have any further suggestions? Just tell you some of the problems I am having right now. Mozilla Firefox crashes all the time. In my e-mail I have to click on Create Mail to get anything to open in it. If I try using the minimise window the document will disappear and I cannot find it. Also if I right click on an item and e.g. click copy, cut, or paste, a little patch stays on my desktop with those words on it. Even restarting my computer does not get rid of it. My Windows Photo Gallery is certainly not working. When I try to load some photos they go to a location that I have real difficulty finding them. When I plug in the card-reader the selection no longer appears to allow me to say what to do with the photos, i.e. import etc.
Sorry for such a long post. But I am in need of some help and I though you might be able to give me some. I would really appreciate anything you can suggest.

Roary.

My Computer

Malwarebytes has no on-demand scanner. As above, Avira if you don't want to pay or Kaspersky or Norton 360 if you do. Also, the free antivirus arn't updated as frequently and you will have to put with pop ups to pay, in the case of Avira.
what you mean buy that/ i click on it on toolbar and i can scan comp with it.
plus it has a scheduler

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo
    CPU
    intel quad 2.4
    Memory
    6GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    in vidieo
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable
    Hard Drives
    650GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
I'd scan with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware - the free editions. It seems you are still infected.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
T

What were you reading...this is what I read..
pcsecurityshield.com
Summary
Norton Safe Web found no issues with this site.
•Computer Threats:
0 •Identity Threats:
0 •Ecommerce safety threats:
0 •Annoyance factors:

Total threats on this site:
•Community Reviews:

The Norton rating is a result of Symantec's automated analysis system. Learn more.
The opinions of our users are reflected separately in the community rating on the right.

Ecommerce Safety Information
(what's this?)
small-whitebg-green.png
small-whitebg-green.png
small-whitebg-green.png
icon_plus_box.gif

My Computer

Uninstall all your security apps and run a full system scan with Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware offline after updating. You should also have a backup at hand for your files.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
Thank you so much. I am in the process of working those things through now. But I will be tied up with personal business for a few days.

Roary.

My Computer

Let us know if either of those programs catch anything malicious.

I googled your anti-virus product and it came back with this:

I also went to the BBB site and found that ONLY the support site link is BBB accredited. Not the actual Anti-Virus company. I smell something fishy :sick:

Note: Red or Yellow circles usually indicate malicious sites.

Attachments

• malicious av.JPG
    malicious av.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 25
  • bbb pcsecurity.JPG
    bbb pcsecurity.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 20

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intergrated Intel Graphics
    Sound Card
    Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1280 x 800
    Hard Drives
    160GB
    PSU
    Power Adapter
    Case
    It's special, it flips open :)
    Keyboard
    Acer
    Mouse
    Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Down: 16mb/s Up: 1.6mb/s
    Other Info
    I killed my HP Laptop :'(
What's weird is you can get Shield Deluxe from CNET.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD AM2 6000+
    Motherboard
    Nvidia M2N-E SLI
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 7600GT
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    WD
    Case
    Cooler Master
    Cooling
    Three fans
    Keyboard
    Dell Quietkey
    Mouse
    Dell Optical
    Internet Speed
    10 MBPS
CNET shouldn't host rubbish. How are the scans going? By the way, watch what you delete, otheriwse your pc may not boot if the registry is disinfected. Hopefully you have a couple of backups.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
Frostmourne
Thank you and I'm doing pretty good now with my computer. I have it up and going again. Most everything seems to be working very well. My e-mail is ok and the problem I had with downloading appears to be corrected, so far anyway. I haven't tried re-installing some of those things that earlier told me there was not enough memory. I have been quite busy with my part time work so I will try that later. Thank you so much for your help. Oh, and as far as the antivirus goes I went with the free offer from Rogers my local server. I could not get the service I wanted from the PCShield. They seemed to be rather unconcerned. So right now I am very happy with the protection I have from Rogers and I probably will stay with it.

Roary

My Computer

So what antivirus? Either way, keep Malwarebytes as a backup and update it daily. My contact details are listed in my profile if you need more help.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Sony Vaio Z46GDU
    CPU
    Memory
    6GB DDR3 1066MHz SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900
    Hard Drives
    320GB SATA 7200RPM
    Internet Speed
    1MB/s
So you uninstalled the PC Shield Anti-Virus then ran malwarebytes and everything seems fine now?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP
    CPU
    Intel Neo
    Memory
    2GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intergrated Intel Graphics
    Sound Card
    Integrated