RAM Dilemma

lil domii

Seven Guru + GFX
Power User
hey, i have found these two ram sets, £3 apart, and the only difference i see is the ram timings, and i cannot for the likes of me choose which one?
which one should i go for?

Dom

Last edited:

smarteyeball

Eye know, eye know
Vista Guru
Gold Member
The first one with better timings - for only 3 squid extra, it's an easy choice :)

Basically they are exactly the same RAM modules, except the CL7's are 'better binned' (higher individual quality) than their CL9 counterparts. Modules that can't tolerate tighter timings / voltages are sold as the 'slower' sets.

archie123

I Tunes hates Me
Vista Guru
Gold Member
neither , your cpu fsb is only 800mhz :p

........ you need to tell us the rest of your upgrade products then we can recommend something cheaper , are you planning to overclock?

lil domii

Seven Guru + GFX
Power User

........ you need to tell us the rest of your upgrade products then we can recommend something cheaper , are you planning to overclock?
can you just up the fsb? or does the clockspeed have to go up with it? i really don't want to go get new processors every 6 months or something like that

lil domii

Seven Guru + GFX
Power User

oh ok i thought you meant the processor i was getting. i am not upgrading my lappy, i'm doing a custom build.
haha dw common mistake.

Dom

archie123

I Tunes hates Me
Vista Guru
Gold Member

oh ok i thought you meant the processor i was getting. i am not upgrading my lappy, i'm doing a custom build.
haha dw common mistake.

Dom

no mate i had no idea what cpu you were getting thats why i asked ;) , if your using it for gaming could you tell me why your getting an AMD processor?

lil domii

Seven Guru + GFX
Power User

haha dw common mistake.

Dom

no mate i had no idea what cpu you were getting thats why i asked ;) , if your using it for gaming could you tell me why your getting an AMD processor?
ok here i go :D
i had originally had an intel mobo with intel cpu. thing is, i chose a crossfire config. i had an intel mobo with one pci -ex x16. so i tried to look for a mobo with a crossfire config for around £70. i did, then i found out it was ddr2. i had ddr3 sticks. then i tried to look for mobos with intel sockets, ddr3 ram and crossfire support for £70 again. no luck.

pizzaman recommended amd. i found this mobo. i also got more bang for buck with this cpu.
see why i chose amd now? :)

Dom

archie123

I Tunes hates Me
Vista Guru
Gold Member
do you want my honest opinion on your choices?? save more get a better motherboard and get an intel cpu an I5 , unless you planning on putting two low end cards in there in crossfire that cpu and mobo chipset will bottleneck your whole rig

you need to balance your purchases out more , i understand your on a budget but you need to do more research

lil domii

Seven Guru + GFX
Power User
:confused: i might as well give up on building my own.
i just try and try and never get things right. :(

archie123

I Tunes hates Me
Vista Guru
Gold Member

no you will get it right mate its a pain in the arse to begin with but you will get there

what have you got now hardware wise? and how much money do you have left to spend? and what do you need? ie psu? case?

its a minefield building on a budget but its doable , you just need to make sure you get a good hardware balance and a good upgrade path , i am always on a budget , its all about research and asking around , but ive been doing alot of that recently so let me help :)

it may turn out you do have to get that mobo and that cpu on your budget buts lets look into it before you spend :)

that was good find though by pizza , a crossfire mobo for 70 quid :)

thepizzaman

Banned
his budget is about 650 quid.... no way he can build a intel rig that will outperform the triple core for what he can spend, he was going to do a cf setup with two 5770's the triple core, and unless he plans to jump his budget by about 300 quid this is a good rig

smarteyeball

Eye know, eye know
Vista Guru
Gold Member

no you will get it right mate its a pain in the arse to begin with but you will get there

+ 1

Don't feel dejected mate. A lot of us um and ah over decisions and change our minds repeatedly throughout the process.

I've been toying with upgrading for 6+ months now and I'm still yet to decide on what path I'm taking :rolleyes: :p

The two most important decisions when selecting components:

1. Decide on a platform (AMD or Intel)
  2. Select your motherboard
Once these two are decided, it makes selecting a CPU and RAM much easier as it eliminates a lot of options. Everything else falls into place after that.

And finally, always have a backup component option in case there is no stock available etc

archie123

I Tunes hates Me
Vista Guru
Gold Member
his budget is about 650 quid.... no way he can build a intel rig that will outperform the triple core for what he can spend, he was going to do a cf setup with two 5770's the triple core, and unless he plans to jump his budget by about 300 quid this is a good rig

come on mate , you HAVE to admit that that mobo and cpu combo will seriously affect the performance of those cards , this needs a bit more thinking , and if needed ......... a bit more saving :) Im not slagging off our choices just offering alternatives :)