ReBoot Time

Lid8nhx

WOW... I got tons of stuff going at startup. No wonder I'm crawling.. I will get the snipping tool working so I can paste an image here...

Edit: Ok I have snipped mine and added it here....... I had to do it in 2 snips since that startup window doesn't expand... sheeeesh~~ seems like way to much showing...

By the way... thanks for the quick tutorial on using the snip tool...quite handy indeed~:)

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Lid8nhx

Any thoughts on what could be dropped from this list?

NERO is no longer on that list... I disabled that one...
Thanks~~

Bare Foot Kid

R.I.P. August 13th 2014
Hello Lid8nhx,

You are the only one that really knows what you need at startup!
Try disabling one or two at a time to see how it goes.
I know you don't need the NVIDIA entries.
I do know you have to have the box checked to remove the entry from the list in "regedit".
Just work on them one at a time.

Any thoughts on what could be dropped from this list
Thanks~~

Later :shock: Ted

Brink

Staff member
mvp
Lid8nhx,

If you disable one that messes up Vista, just boot into Safe Mode and enable it again.

Shawn

Lid8nhx

Thats what I'm working on... so far sooo good..~ though I may be at the end of what I can disable and still keep things usable... Guess we shall see if my boot time increases at all...

Are most of you doing the No GUI boot option?

It's always fun to play a bit..~~ :)

Bare Foot Kid

R.I.P. August 13th 2014
Hello again Lid8nhx,

The Forums have this Tutorial.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/60405-boot-screen.html

Thats what I'm working on... so far sooo good..~ though I may be at the end of what I can disable and still keep things usable... Guess we shall see if my boot time increases at all...

Are most of you doing the No GUI boot option?

It's always fun to play a bit..~~ :)

Yeah I like to "experiment" also but sometimes it costs me a reinstall... hehe :o

Later :shock: Ted

Last edited:

Lid8nhx

Thanks for the tutorial on the boot screen.... and I know the feeling about the reinstall...Have done that myself over the years...~~

Chappy

Tech Help since 1993
Vista Guru
Hi Folks

I find that only a fresh install of Vista is anywhere near as fast as MS claimed it would be, as soon as you start loading your security apps and needed programs, it slows to a bloody crawl...
If you have the Sidebar closed but have dragged a few gadgets to the desktop so you can still have them, I find that really slows boot times down. I like some gadgets and have 4 or five of them on my desktop and the sidebar closed to the tray andI notice if I disable the sidebar gadgets from startup, it speeds up bootup noticeably.
Other than that, I can't eliminate any other startups because all I have there is my AV, firewall, display drivers, mulimedia KB and trackball drivers and that's it.

Oh yah...and Yes, I also do the "No GUI" boot screen bit, it's better than the scrolling screw...

VaNiaL

Sys spec:
AMD 3800+
2gb ram
250 gb 7200rpm harddrive
ATI x1600 pro

Vista Ultimate 32 SP1

Attachments

• Reboot.jpg
    Reboot.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 862

CarolinaFaithful

I couldn't get mine below 88 seconds. However, that's alot better than the 233 seconds that I got on my first trial. I'm running an Acer Aspire 4520 laptop with an AMD Turion 64x2 TL-58. I've replaced the stock Vista Home Premium with Ultimate 32 bit, because I didn't want the 23GB of crap Acer shipped with it. I could probably get it down a couple more seconds if I kept CyberScrub and InternetDownloadManager from starting at start up, but that wouldn't give me a true reading of what I'll experience on a regular basis. I know that it's not imperative that they start then, but I'd not really save myself any time if I had to start them manually.

CarolinaFaithful

I generally do leave my computers on 24/7. However, if I have to reboot, for whatever reason, I want to be able to get it over with quickly. I've grown impatient in this age of instant gratification.

SCSIraidGURU

I don't worry about bootup time. With all my SAS RAID devices it can take a minute or so to boot up. For home users, why concern yourself with that. I want it fast once I get into it.

dmex

ɠɛɐǨ
Vista Guru
Gold Member
The fastest boot-time in Vista comes from using STR or "S3" suspend mode, I encourage everyone to use that instead of constantly having to turn on/off the comp :)