Solved Repair your computer option missing from advanced boot menu

On a friend's computer, when I access the advanced boot menu using F8, the repair your computer option is missing. I found this info on a Microsoft page:

Repair your computer
Shows a list of system recovery tools you can use to repair startup problems, run diagnostics, or restore your system. This option is available only if the tools are installed on your computer's hard disk.

Does anyone know if these tools can be installed on a computer that is missing them? This is an Asus laptop.

Thanks

My Computer

On a friend's computer, when I access the advanced boot menu using F8, the repair your computer option is missing. I found this info on a Microsoft page:

Repair your computer
Shows a list of system recovery tools you can use to repair startup problems, run diagnostics, or restore your system. This option is available only if the tools are installed on your computer's hard disk.

Does anyone know if these tools can be installed on a computer that is missing them? This is an Asus laptop.

Thanks

I don't possess such deep knowledge to answer your question.
Perhaps the following link will be of interest to you :
Lost "Repair My Computer" Option in F8 Boot Advanced Startup Options Menu

Lost "Repair My Computer" Option in F8 Boot Advanced Startup Options Menu - Vista Setup and Install

My Computer

System One

• Other Info
    WLM 2011
    IE9 beta

Repair your computer

Thanks

You Can Burn the Tools onto a CD (BE WARNED THIS IS NOT AN INSTALLATION DISK)

You Will need the Following:

1. A Computer
  2. Another Computer with an Internet Connection
  3. A ISO Image of the Tools *Download Link*
  4. An ISO Burner
  5. A Blank CD/DVD

Once you have obtained the Requirements then you can Follow this tutorial
See http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/141820-create-recovery-disc.html?ltr=C For More Information

If you need an ISO Burner then Please Ask All Details are inside the Link

Hope This Helps,
Josh

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn H67MP-S/-V/H67MP
    Memory
    8.0GB DDR3 @ 665MHz (2GBx4)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SMB1930NW (1440x900@60Hz)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    977GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA) + 250GB WD iSCSI attached Drive
    Case
    Novatech Night
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell HID-compliant mouse
I suspect this is a bit too advanced (it would be hard for me - I don't think even I would attempt this) and requires additional steps which aren't documented in the article (but can be separately researched if you want to pursue it), but here's an article on how to add RE to the F8 command: How to install Windows RE on the hard disk - Windows RE Notes - Site Home - MSDN Blogs.

You will probably have many questions and I'm not sure I can answer them as this is a somewhat complex process and involves knowing quite a bit how the system operates and which of the options it suggests is best (and I'm not sure I can advise you on that as just understanding the article and the links it sent me to was pretty much near the upper reaches of skills).

Personally, I recommend you don't try this on your own, but hire a professional engineer skilled in Microsoft development and deployment tools as well as Vista (at the very least) if you really want it done. I've been doing this sort of thing for a living for nearly 20 years, and I'm not sure if I'd accept this job if I were requested to do so. Still, if you're going to try it yourself, I recommend you spend a great deal of time reading the MSDN knowledge base on everything you can find about Windows OPK and Windows AIK and WIM-based installations before you even look at the above article since it assumes you already have that knowledge. You may also need to re-partition your hard drive (or otherwise use a different partition or even a different drive than the system partition since if the system partition fails, you still want the Win RE tools to work).

In my opinion, even though this technical answers your question (to a degree - without the step-by-step instructions I'd provide if I understood enough to write them out or could find sources providing that level of detail), I STRONGLY recommend you simply follow Shadow's advice and create a Recovery Disk and use that if/when needed rather than messing around with trying to add the features to the F8 button. I almost didn't post this because I am concerned that doing anything wrong in the attempt (and that's a serious possibility) could hose your system to the point that only a clean install could recover (so if you do try, do a full backup first and create a restore point and be prepared to need to re-install Vista from scratch and lose everthing on the hard drive). F8 doesn't always work either and then you need to use the disk anyway - so the disk is frankly a better Recovery option and tool.

I hope this helps and explains things and you decide to go simply with the disk and set aside the option of enhancing the F8 button.

Good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
Shadowjk, if the recovery disc will provide the same tools then I will just go that route, thanks.

Lorien, I'll take your advice and avoid the installation procedure.

Thanks to both of you for the information.

My Computer

No Problem be warned to access the Tools you will need to Enter the Information when the Computer boots up into the disk and then click Repair My Computer in the Bottom Left hand corner

Also Thank you for the Reputation for it is Deeply Appreciated

Many Thanks,
Josh

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 2400 @ 3.10GHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn H67MP-S/-V/H67MP
    Memory
    8.0GB DDR3 @ 665MHz (2GBx4)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD Radeon 6870
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    SMB1930NW (1440x900@60Hz)
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Hard Drives
    977GB Seagate ST31000524AS ATA Device (SATA) + 250GB WD iSCSI attached Drive
    Case
    Novatech Night
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Dell HID-compliant mouse
It was our pleasure. I'm glad we could be of assistance - and I'm pleased you've decided to avoid that installation procedure. As I said, even with my experience I would hesitate before doing it. And the disk is probably a better option anyway as if the hard drive is the problem, the F8 process may not function either and that wouldn't be good.

I too appreciate that you took the time to tip the scales - thank you.

Good luck and best wishes.

P.S. Remember, we're always here if you need us for anything or simply have a question or maybe even want to post a few answers as you're Skilled yourself.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
“Repair your computer” option disappeared from “advanced boot” menu in “Vista Advanced Boot Options window“.

The Repair Your Computer option appeared in July 2012, but now does not. Why?

My Computer

Hi,

There are two ways to add windows RE on the computer:

Option 1:
You can follow the steps to add windows RE on the computer: How to install Windows RE on the hard disk - Windows RE Notes - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Option 2:
1. Run "command prompt" as administrator. To run "command prompt” click start in search type in cmd, right-click "cmd" and selecting "Run as administrator". Please use the following link for detailed instructions to run command prompt as Administrator http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/181765-elevated-command-prompt.html
2. Enter "reagentc/info" in the opening command, press "Enter" and the relevant information of Windows RE appears. If the value of "Windows RE enabled" is 0 then Windows RE is disabled.
3. If it is “0” type "reagentc/enable" and press "Enter" to enable Windows RE.
4. Check if it is able to show Repair your computer in F8.

Please post back with the results.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-4100
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 5450
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps
Hello,

Thank you for responding.

1. Start
2. In Start Search I typed cmd
3. Right click on command prompt
4. Click on Run as Administrator
5. C:\Windows\system32>
6. Typed reagentc/info

C:\Windows\system32>reagentc/info
'reagentc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Thank you,
Ron

My Computer

Madhur got mixed up there.

Vista doesn't have reagentc.exe

When I get a few moments, I will make something so Vista users can get the recovery options on their boot menu - and run them off on cd/usb.

Probably won't be today tho.

My Computers

System One System Two

• Operating System
    Vista
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    ASRock1333-GLAN R2.0
    Memory
    4gb DDR2 800
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 9500GT 1gb
  • Operating System
    win7/vista
    CPU
    intel i5-8400
    Motherboard
    gigabyte b365m ds3h
    Memory
    ballistix 2x8gb 3200
Madhur got mixed up there.

Vista doesn't have reagentc.exe

When I get a few moments, I will make something so Vista users can get the recovery options on their boot menu - and run them off on cd/usb.

Probably won't be today tho.

Hi,

I apologize; the steps are for windows 7 not for vista.

Thanks for helping me understand.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Custom
    CPU
    AMD FX-4100
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 5450
    Screen Resolution
    1600*900
    Internet Speed
    10Mbps
Hi,

There are two ways to add windows RE on the computer:

Option 1:
You can follow the steps to add windows RE on the computer: How to install Windows RE on the hard disk - Windows RE Notes - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Option 2:
1. Run "command prompt" as administrator. To run "command prompt” click start in search type in cmd, right-click "cmd" and selecting "Run as administrator". Please use the following link for detailed instructions to run command prompt as Administrator http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/181765-elevated-command-prompt.html
2. Enter "reagentc/info" in the opening command, press "Enter" and the relevant information of Windows RE appears. If the value of "Windows RE enabled" is 0 then Windows RE is disabled.
3. If it is “0” type "reagentc/enable" and press "Enter" to enable Windows RE.
4. Check if it is able to show Repair your computer in F8.

Please post back with the results.

Many thanks - this helped me greatly on a Windows 7 machine.

My Computer

Back