Set Group Policy different for each user group?

PainlessTorture

Official Best Member
Vista Pro
Is it possible to set administrators to one GP and standard users to another? I want to disable Command Prompt, Task Mgr and lockout all USB and CD drives for standard users but allow administrators to access all of those.

How do i set different group polices depending on user?

Thanks in advance :geek:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Hewlett Packard
    CPU
    3.40Ghz / 2.20Gz Duo Core
    Memory
    2GB / 3GB
    Hard Drives
    160 GB / 160 GB
Yep. As long as the policies you want to deploy to those groups are per-user (i.e. within the user configuration section of GP Editor), then you can use a tool like Microsoft's GPMC to "security filter" the effects of a GPO to a particular user group. Or, you might want to check out Desktop Policy Manager--www.sdmsoftware.com/desktop_management, which provides a simplified web interface into Group Policy and makes targeting by group much simpler (full disclosure--I work for this company).

Darren

My Computer

That's exactly what GP is designed to do my friend, so just read thru the help files to find how to do what you want done.
Normal user groups shouldn't even have access to the GP interface so you don't really have one GP for Admin and one for Users. You simply set different permissions for the different user groups in the same GP editor.
You can use GP editor to allow or disallow just about anything, you just have to have a look around and read the Help files, it's all there somewhere.

Here's a link to where you can get a small tutorial on some of this - Understanding Group Policy basics for Windows Vista - and then there's a link there for some advanced help after that.

Good Luck!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Personal Build
    CPU
    Intel E6750 Core 2 Duo
    Motherboard
    Asus Commando MoBo (P965/ICH8R)
    Memory
    4G's Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 PC26400 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Platinum FATAL1TY (next)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x 22" w2207 LCD Monitors
    Screen Resolution
    1- 1680 x 1050, 1 - 1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    3 x 500G SATA II WD Caviar HDD's
    PSU
    EnerMax NoiseTaker II 600W
    Case
    NZXT Lexa Classic (modified, dual doored & windowed)
    Cooling
    Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, 4-120mm fans, 1-90mm
    Mouse
    Logitech Optical Trackman trackball
    Other Info
    NZXT Lexa Classic Case, Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler, 2 DVD Burners c/w LightScribe (Sony, TSST), Enermax NoiseTaker II 600W PSU with Custom Chrome cable sleeving, Hauppauge HDTV TV Tuner Card, 5.1 Logitech Z5500 speakers, 15 in 1 Multi-card reader
Back