Slow hard drive access times, gets slower with time!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    HP Compaq Presario/SR5113WM
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ 1.9Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N68-LA
    Memory
    PNY Optima Memory DDR2 2GB 2x1 kit
    Graphics Card(s)
    PNY Nvidia 8400 GS 256MB
    Sound Card
    On board RealTek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer X163W LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 160 GB SATA 3G (3.0Gb/sec)
    7200 rpm
    Western Digital 160 GB IDE
    PSU
    Dynex 400w
    Case
    Nothin Special
    Cooling
    Stock
    Keyboard
    Standard 102 key with volume and sleep buttons
    Mouse
    Wireless Logitech LX7
    Internet Speed
    Comcrap 10mb cable
    Other Info
    Insignia 2.1 speakers, wireless Xbox 360 controller w/plug n play charger, Belkin wireless G + mimo usb network adapter.
guys...I want to thank all of you for helping me for the past several days, specially Norm and Michael. At this point, after 4 motherboards, new hard drives, new Ram, 3 vista discs, and numerous sleepless nights troubleshooting this, I have to raise the white flag at this point.

I'm going back to good ol' XP pro SP3, and call it a day. I cannot afford to keep buying and sending stuff back, and I can't keep going without a PC for all this time.

In due time, if there is a Vista SP2 or SP3 coming out, or if Windows7 comes out in a year or two, I'll just start fresh.

Once again, thanks to all....I must confess, I feel pretty beaten! I've never had a PC kick my royal butt like this, but there is always a first I suppose.

cheers!

My Computer

Sorry we couldn't help you ssabipro. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Keep me posted on the outcome PLEASE. Did it slow down before you connected your old drive? Yes I do think it could involve your old drive. It certainly doesn't seem to be anything else. You've basically run Vista on 3 seperate computers, with the same result. It could be your copy Vista, but unlikely. About all thats left is that drive and the files???

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    4096 MB Xtreme-Dark 800mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Zotac Amp Edition 8800GT - 512MB DDR3, O/C 700mhz
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    4 X Samsung 500GB 7200rpm Serial ATA-II HDD w. 16MB Cache .
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    3 x octua NF-S12-1200 - 120mm 1200RPM Sound Optimised Fans
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs
    Other Info
    Self built.
Sorry we couldn't help you ssabipro. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Keep me posted on the outcome PLEASE. Did it slow down before you connected your old drive? Yes I do think it could involve your old drive. It certainly doesn't seem to be anything else. You've basically run Vista on 3 seperate computers, with the same result. It could be your copy Vista, but unlikely. About all thats left is that drive and the files???
yeah norm...it most certainly could be, but I disconnected the drive all together, and it was still slow. Looks like a virus that once it stains the account, there is not cure...kinda like AIDS :cry:

I ran avast on it, and it didn't find any virus or trojans.

oh well...I will keep you posted. For now, I'm just going to use SP3 XP pro. :(

My Computer

yeah norm...it most certainly could be, but I disconnected the drive all together, and it was still slow. Looks like a virus that once it stains the account, there is not cure...kinda like AIDS :cry:

I ran avast on it, and it didn't find any virus or trojans.

oh well...I will keep you posted. For now, I'm just going to use SP3 XP pro. :(

you said in one post you had a wireless mouse , did you at any point try a corded one as a person on the asus mb site had many problems only to find it was the USB transmitter after many hard ware changes like your self .

-I posted this a few hours ago but I can't find it , so if it's a double post disregard

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    E8600 @ 4.1
    Motherboard
    Asus Striker II Forumla
    Memory
    4x1 ocz pc8500 @960-4-4-4-12
    Graphics Card(s)
    2xEvga GTX 285 -sli
    Sound Card
    FX Xtreem music--Logitech 5.1 surround
    Monitor(s) Displays
    samsung 2443bw
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    2 x vraptors 150 raid 0
    1x seagate 250 gig dump drive
    PSU
    TX850
    Case
    cm690
    Cooling
    Air cooled 2x140mm ,1x120mm ,1x80mm in - 3 120mm out
    Keyboard
    g15 + G13
    Mouse
    Mx518
    Internet Speed
    5mb down -.8mb up
    Other Info
    Apc 1000 UPS for computor NO LONGER USE NOT ENOUGH POWER
    -200w for the monior
Southbridge controls SATA / PATA interactions with the CPU. Perhaps your recent "tinkering" has caused the issue to re-appear?
I'm 99% sure that the MCH voltage had nothing to do with this. This is my fourth board, my first with Gigabyte (which has this control, unlike Asus), and they all exhibited this behavior, even prior to any tinkering.

I'm really getting to the point of thinking it is an issue with my copies of vista. All 3 copies were from the MSDN download sections (I have a subscription), so at this point I can only assume it is that.

the hardware, including drives, work fine with XP.....this only shows up in vista, so I can only think it is a Vista issue. I'm gonna see if I can buy a copy of Vista Home Premium retail and see what happens.

Upping the VRAM voltage even .5v can permanently and seriously damage RAM/HDD and FileSystem Access...If you just recently installed Vista again you should let the Indexer service finish its inital index before blaming it for the problems...

I can say after all these suggestions and all that new MB/HDDs/Mem equipment is that somehow, someway or some program/driver your using or something your doing is causing this because the failure rate of your machines is currently 100% and out of the hundreds of Vista machines I can only count 4 that needed some if any tweaking from defaults :confused:

My Computer

Southbridge controls SATA / PATA interactions with the CPU. Perhaps your recent "tinkering" has caused the issue to re-appear?

Upping the VRAM voltage even .5v can permanently and seriously damage RAM/HDD and FileSystem Access...If you just recently installed Vista again you should let the Indexer service finish its inital index before blaming it for the problems...

I can say after all these suggestions and all that new MB/HDDs/Mem equipment is that somehow, someway or some program/driver your using or something your doing is causing this because the failure rate of your machines is currently 100% and out of the hundreds of Vista machines I can only count 4 that needed some if any tweaking from defaults :confused:
I'm 99% sure that the MCH voltage had nothing to do with this. This is my fourth board, my first with Gigabyte (which has this control, unlike Asus), and they all exhibited this behavior, even prior to any tinkering.

I'm really getting to the point of thinking it is an issue with my copies of vista. All 3 copies were from the MSDN download sections (I have a subscription), so at this point I can only assume it is that.

the hardware, including drives, work fine with XP.....this only shows up in vista, so I can only think it is a Vista issue. I'm gonna see if I can buy a copy of Vista Home Premium retail and see what happens.
that could very well be, but the issue is I can't figure out what it is.

these are brand spanking fresh installs.
these were done with no additional software installed save firefox...no antivirus, nothing.
there was no overclocking done, no manipulation done, etc, prior to the problem appearing....in the case of the 3 asus boards, that was all default modes pretty much, and yet still the same issue.

I am aware of of many people successfully installing vista in similar hardware, but I just can't get were the problem is, and I've tried everything suggested here and more.

My Computer

ssabripo, I can't think of how else to help, I did notice you said "after I disconnected the drive it was still slow." When you re=installed Vista with the new MOBO you said it was running OK. When DID you connect the backup harddrive. When you did the install or afterward. Did it slow down after the drive was connected?

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs
    Other Info
    Self built.
hi Guys...just a quick update: I've been running XP for a couple of days now, and it is running BEAUTIFULLY! drive access is fast (knock on wood), and all works as should.

this morning I overclocked it from 3.0ghz to 4.1ghz, and it is running like a champ.

Looking back at this, I cannot fathom anything else other than some issue with Vista and certain combinations of hardware. I've had a couple of PMs at Xtremesystems from people with similar issues asking if I found a solution, and unfortunately I told them no.

I'm hoping that Vista SP2 or windows7 fixes these issues in time.

My Computer

Thanks for the Feedback ssabripo. You learn something all the time. I wouldn't have believed this could be such an issue. The experience was worth it for me. I learnt a lot from that thread. Sorry I couln't help you, but thanks for helping me.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Scratch Built
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core 6600
    Motherboard
    Asus P5B
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung 206BW
    Screen Resolution
    1680 X 1024
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    550 w
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Microsoft
    Mouse
    Targus
    Internet Speed
    1500kbs
    Other Info
    Self built.
I hope it does not affect your storage timing and corrupt your data.

My Computer

System One

• CPU
    pair of Intel E5430 quad core 2.66 GHz Xeons
    Motherboard
    Supermicro X7DWA-N server board
    Memory
    16GB DDR667
    Graphics Card(s)
    eVGA 8800 GTS 640 MB video card
    Hard Drives
    SAS RAID
I hope it does not affect your storage timing and corrupt your data.
yeah...I'm testing a lot right now before I say it is "stable".

doing lots of CPU/RAM stress testing (Orthos, prime95), and also lots of file copying from one drive to another (there are 3 drives right now).

so far it seems stable.:cool:

My Computer

Thanks for the Feedback ssabripo. You learn something all the time. I wouldn't have believed this could be such an issue. The experience was worth it for me. I learnt a lot from that thread. Sorry I couln't help you, but thanks for helping me.
thanks for all your pointers and suggestions too Norm...is good to see such helping hands around here! :)

My Computer

I too had the exact same problem. Clicking on c: drive would take forever just like your video. The green bar would go so slow then finally i could access the drive. I too have gone crazy trying to resolve this issue and it seems now that i have.
The fix was simple. I just manually set my ram to ddr800 then voltage and timings per the JEDEC#2 setting not EPP settings. Voltage1.8(5-5-5-18-22). Please note that i do have EPP ram and mobo that supposed to support it. But if i set the bios up to use EPP memory settings then i have the drive access problem.
I am running 4 sticks of ram all cm2x1024-6400c4.
I used to run just to sticks and i didnt have the problem at that time and used the EPP settings. It seems there is an issue running 4 sticks at epp settings thats causing it. But it also could be that although i have four sticks of the same ram it really isnt the same. I purchased the second pair like a year latter. While in CPU-Z looking at the SPD i noticed that the second pair does have a different EPP setting in the tRC setting. The old set has a setting of tRC 102 while the newer set has tRC 22. Mobo is asus m2n32 sli deluxe. whatever the case its fixed.

My Computer

Back