Some Vista Personalize windows won't open

Hi Richard,

I did a full scan with MBAM and it detected MyWebSearch items.

I do have MyWebSearch toolbar and its related components installed but MyWebSearch claims it is not spyware. See http://helpint.mywebsearch.com/intlinfo/help/notspyware.jhtml.

In any case, I removed all the items detected by MBAM and rebooted as asked but my problem is still not solved. I believe it is not due to malware but some Windows files or registry keys got corrupted.

Also, my Windows Sidebar is working fine.

Charlie

That is the one I saw as well. It basically is. Remove it. However, I saw more than just MyWebSearch. Quite a lot of it seemed to be random junky files, and they are often quite malicious. I don't think this is all caused by malware (especially not with your SFC log as it is) but I am taking no chances. I see a lot in that log, and would like another one.

Please re-start OTL, make sure that the EXTRA REGISTRY box is at Use Safe List, put a check next to LOP CHECK and PURITY CHECK, and then either post both logs here, or upload them to Media Fire and PM them to me. With this infection, I will have to post them to our security expert, privately, but she is very trustworthy.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50GHz
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512 MBytes)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 x Dell 2007FP and 1 x (old) Sonic flat screen
    Screen Resolution
    1600 x 1200 and 1280 x 1204
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)
    Western Digital: WDC WD6400AAKS-75A7B0

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    Western Digital: Caviar Black, SATA 6GB/S, 64Mb cache, 8ms
    Western Digital: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Advent Optical ADE-WG01 (colour change light up)
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
    ASUS USB 3.0 5Gbps/SATA 6Gbps - PCI-Express Combo Controller Card (U3S6)
I am so, so sorry. Yes, I did get them, but forgot about them. Have just forwarded them to our security expert, and she should be around soon. That was my fault, and I am very sorry about that. Thank you for reminding me,

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Hi Richard,

Any word yet? I am, however, not interested in getting rid of malware, but in solving my original problem: getting the three links in Personalize to work.

If Personalize can't be fixed, and you know which system files open them, can we create shortcuts to the .exe files to open Screen Saver, Theme and Display Settings?

My Computer

The following article shows how to create the shortcuts you mentioned (and others) and even includes a download that you can unzip and then just copy the pre-created shortcuts to the desktop. I tried them and they worked for me (but Personalize also works for me, so it isn't exactly a valid test); however, if the programs don't work in Personalize, I'm not sure these will work any better - but you're welcome to try: Create Shortcuts to Themes, Desktop Background, Screen Saver, Display Settings and More - Tweaking with Vishal. If there're more basic files that can be used to create these shortcuts, I am not aware of them.

I cannot answer regarding the status of the other situation as I am not in the loop there.

I hope this helps (I frankly think you're going to have the same problem - but maybe not).

Good luck.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Inc. MP061 Inspiron E1705
    CPU
    2.00 gigahertz Intel Core 2 Duo 64 kilobyte primary memory
    Motherboard
    Board: Dell Inc. 0YD479 Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
    Memory
    2046 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM) [Di
    Sound Card
    SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic PnP Monitor (17.2"vis)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Chassis Serial Number: 5YK95C1
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech HID-compliant Cordless Mouse
    Internet Speed
    1958 Kbps download ; 754.8 Kbps upload
    Other Info
    Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device [CD-ROM drive]

Dell AIO Printer A940

Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

6TO4 Adapter
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
    Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Router Linksys / WRT54G -01
I shall give her a little nudge. In the meantime, we shall forge on with the Personalise windows issues! This is going to be difficult. They are build into explorer.exe (effectively) and diagnosing issues in them is fiendishly difficult. Eventually we can try one specific tool, however, its success rate is quite low, and it is incredibly difficult to use. Try what Lorien has posted, just in case it works otherwise may I ask what graphics card you have, if you know? The free Speccy will show you if you don't already know: Speccy - System Information - Free Download

Did this start at any discernable point, or just you have always been fiddling with this issue, trying to get it working.

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Hi Lorien & Richard,

The shortcuts didn't work for the three links. When I checked the shortcuts' properties, they read:

C:\Windows\System32\control.exe desk.cpl,,3
C:\Windows\System32\control.exe desk.cpl,,1
C:\Windows\System32\control.exe desk.cpl,,@themes

So I think maybe the "control.exe" and/or "desk.cpl" files in System 32 folder are corrupted.

Can you send me these files from a good Vista SP2 in a zip file and I will try overwrite them? If I can't overwrite them because Windows is open, can I do it in Safe Mode?

If this doesn't work, I will not waste any more time pursuing it.

Charlie

My Computer

Let me start by saying that I'm straying a little out of my comfort zone here as Richard is much more the expert on this type of thing than I am; however, from what I've gathered, we may be able to try some of these changes and see if they make any difference and perhaps do the one we can't with some assistance later if considered wise.

Before you begin any of this I want you to create a System Restore Point AND backup the Registry. I also recommend you do a normal full backup of your files so it is current (just to be on the safe side).

First, if these files were missing or corrupt, they should have been picked up by SFC /scannow. They weren't. What did appear was C:\Windows\System32\en-US\themeui.dll.mui which seems related to me (though I'm not certain whether or not it was successfully repaired by SFC). In any event, I suggest we address that file as well at the same time (it's only one more file).

From looking at the properties of control.exe and desk.cpl and themeui.dll.mui, it appears that control.exe and themeui.dll.mui are the original versions and were not updated by SP2 (based on the create and modification dates). On the other hand, desk.cpl does seem to have been "created" on the same date that I installed SP2 - so SP2 most likely modified it and to properly replace that file would require an SP2-updated file.

I have 32-bit Vista Business, so I don't know if my files will be compatible with your version of Vista and I'd rather not take that chance.

The thing is, if what I said above is accurate (and you should be able to confirm the dates on your system as well), then it should be acceptable to use your SP1 Vista Installation Disk to replace at least control.exe and themeui.dll.mui and see if that helps. If not, then maybe someone else here has your version of Vista updated to SP2 and can provide that other file later if replacing these two doesn't do the trick.

There's a procedure for replacing system files with copies from the Installation Disk. Here is that procedure: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/261616-extract-files-vista-installation-dvd.html. Follow the procedures exactly. Don't improvise. Do NOT delete the files that are on the system - instead, rename them (add .old to the filename) and then add the replacement file with the proper name. That way if we want to go back to them, they will still exist and we can more easily return things to the way they were if things don't go exactly as hoped. If the system does not allow you to revise permissions (be sure you're logged in as an Administrator) and/or allow you to rename or add files to those directories, then post back with what exactly you can't do (revise permissions or make the changes) and the EXACT error message you are getting word-for-word and we'll see if it can be overcome (though the tutorial does address this problem as it anticipates it will occur).

When done, reboot and hope that everything starts and works properly in general. If not, post back immediately and describe whatever problems you are having in detail. If all seems to be OK, go to Control Panel / Personalization and see if you can open any or all of the three options you were unable to open before. Also check the options that did work before to verify that they still work and things have not gotten worse. Hopefully, they will all work. If not, perhaps you may be able to access one or two of them if not all three. If not, then the replacements did not work and either we need to replace desk.cpl as well (for which we need assistance and a copy of the file from the proper version of Vista) or we decide it's time to quit (since you are unwilling to consider the system repair/upgrade procedure).

Although I'd feel more comfortable if Richard "blessed" this attempt, I believe it contains all the proper precautions and uses established procedures from a validated tutorial. I won't say there is no risk - there always is when making changes to system files - but I believe it is minimal. I will also say upfront that I do not have a great deal of faith this will succeed - though I think it is safe enough to attempt. But the decision (and the risk) is yours. If you'd prefer to wait for Richard to see this and "bless" it as safe (even if he says he thinks it is a waste of time), that would be perfectly fine with me. He may even be able to provide the desk.cpl file so we can attempt the entire thing all at once. He may also recommend against the idea for reasons beyond just an opinion it won't work (such as what he perceives as an unnecessary or unacceptable risk of some sort) - in which case you should most certainly take his advice over mine and either ignore this option, change it as he thinks would be more appropriate, or do whatever else he suggests instead.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Hitachi HTS541616J9SA00 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 0, s/n SB2411SJGLLRMB, rev SB4OC74P, SMART Status: Healthy
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Restoring a file from a DVD is a bit of a mixed blessing. It means that you have a file that is (almost) guaranteed not to be corrupt, but what with Windows Update, is (almost certainly) guaranteed to be seen as corrupt. If you did replace any corrupt files, you should keep a backup of them, in a folder on the C:\ driver, perhaps called C:\BackedupFiles, so that I know exactly what it is called, should I need to ever provide you with a restore script. I cannot think of any reason why SFC would miss them, but we can check using another method, explained below. I am more thinking (very, very slight chance) a display driver issue, hence my last question, or a registry issue. Do NOT run any reg cleaning tools. They ONLY make things worse.

Just out of interest, I think you said that they open, and then immediately close. Do they look correct? Each of these questions has a specific meaning, and result. If it is too fast to see, so be it.

Is the writing there? (very important if you can tell)
or is the writing covered by little white or black boxes, where the writing should be?
Are the sliders greyed out? (difficult to judge, and not horrendously important)
Are the graphics and pictures showing?

We can find corruptions missed by SFC using MD5 hashes. The slightest change will cause a massive change in the MD5, and that is the design of the algorithm.

OTLI.gif
OTL - Download or alternative link here and here to the Desktop. Make sure it is called OTL.exe, and nothing else.

Download OTL to your Desktop and run it.

• Under the Custom Scan box paste this in:
/md5start
control.exe
desk.cpl
themeui.dll.mui

/md5stop
  • Make sure that no extra text appears due to the bullet points which I cannot remove, such as
  • Click the None button, followed by the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open one notepad window. OTL.Txt These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of this file, and post them here.

Thanks!

Richard

P.S. If I have missed a file that needs checking, add it in, but don't go mad on adding things in, and keep the formatting correct!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Hi Lorien & Richard,

I replaced from my Vista SP1 DVD the following files into System 32 folder: control.exe, desk.cpl and themeui.dll.mui. I had some problems with locked files using Windows but I can replace them by using Ubuntu Linux which is run from a CD.

However, replacing them didn't solve the problem.

Richard, to answer your question, the windows close too fast to see the writings.

Attached is another OTL file for your perusal.

Attachments

• OTL.Txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 22

My Computer

Can you now re-run my OTL custom scan, because they definitely weren't corrupt, but they sure will be seen as now.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Hi Lorien, Richard & Richc46,

I don't think I want to pursue this any more. Since I don't use these 3 settings and it is obvious that it is not so simple to solve, it is not worth the time as I can still use my computer for other tasks. I will wait till Windows 8, or maybe some other OS, to upgrade my OS which will make this problem redundant.

Many, many thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

All the best,
Charlie

My Computer

Hi Charlie,

That of course is your decision to make - and I understand why you feel that way as it is most certainly not an easy problem to solve (and even harder than I imagined and I already thought it was going to be difficult). And I'm sure you have many other things to do than to deal with this issue. Let me run over a few things to consider.

1. Without those controls, you will be unable to change many of the view options on your screen. I'm not so concerned with some (they really are completely optional), but this includes changing the screen resolution, and the color and appearance settings. Unless already enabled, you will not be able to change to Vista Aero: What is Windows Aero? (should you ever desire that). If it's already set on Aero or this doesn't bother you, then I suppose that isn't a problem.

2. Some video problems occur from time-to-time and the only solution that seems to resolve them is to adjust the screen resolution. Without access to this control, what may normally be an easy fix could turn out to be quite a problem - but I suppose we can cross that bridge if we come to it. Plus you will be locked into the current resolution which may seem fine for now, but some programs (this especially occurs with some games but also other programs as well) require resetting the resolution to be able to view them properly. I've seen some websites and videos which also require resetting the resolution to view properly - especially if you want to use full screen mode (but that too is somewhat rare and it usually makes things difficult but not impossible).

3. If you ever decide to add a second (or third or more) monitor to your system, you will not have access to the controls to set them up properly. While it may still be possible (and may still work to some degree), you will be unable to adjust quite a few of the options for using multi-monitors (including establishing which is the main monitor).

Of course, any time you decide you want to try a system repair/upgrade, that will probably fix the problem if it ever comes to that point - so it isn't like there isn't an available solution that is very likely to resolve the problem (just one you currently prefer to avoid).

We will leave the thread open in case you ever change your mind and want to pursue it again. Just post to it and we will notice and we and/or someone else will respond.

I'm sorry the only solution we were able to come up with that was likely (IMHO, virtually guaranteed) to succeed was one you didn't want to consider and that nothing else we tried worked. Sometimes a system repair/upgrade is the only workable alternative for certain problems and this seems to have been one of those cases (or we needed more time and effort to find an alternate solution).

Remember, we are here if you ever change your mind.

Good luck and best wishes!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

If you ever have any problems with Windows Updates due to the apparent corruption of those files, with their different hashes, just come back here!

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Sorry I didn't reply earlier as I was away. I read and appreciate your comments.

I restored my computer using a disk imaging program to where it was before I posted on this Forum i.e. before I ran OTL, etc.

However, I have problems running Windows Update now while I didn't before. So I ran the System Update Readiness Tool and it told me to install a Hotfix. I did so successfully. But my Windows Update still hung at 25% download and it then failed.

Attached is the error message. Any simple way to solve this?

I read in many articles that Windows 7 solves many of the problems Vista has. Is this true? Do you think it is worth upgrading? Will Windows 7 make my PC run more smoothly and faster?

Attachments

• Windows Update Error.png
    Windows Update Error.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 24

My Computer

Windows 7 does solve some problems of Vista and has quite a few improvements, but not all problems and it also has problems of its own - it's not a perfect solution to all the Vista woes. I can't guarantee it will run smoother or faster - but it isn't likely to become worse. Then again, most who have upgraded seem to either prefer it or aren't so dissatisfied that they want to return to Vista (unless they have software they need which isn't compatible) unlike what occurred more frequently with people upgrading from XP to Vista (especially at the beginning but not so much any more). Personally, I intend to stay with Vista until Windows 8 - but that's just my own opinion (and my computer cannot be upgraded without replacing the motherboard, processor, and graphics card - which is probably more expensive than an entirely new computer - and I am not trying to resolve a problem at the same time).

First, you should make sure it is possible. Check out Free Download PC Upgrade Advisor Windows 7 Hardware Programs Issues and Windows 7 Compatibility: Software Programs & Hardware Devices: Find Updates, Drivers, & Downloads and make sure drivers are available for all your devices, internal and peripheral. As to whether or not it can be done as an upgrade or must be a fresh installation, see: Windows 7 Upgrade Paths.

Second, it generally isn't a good idea to upgrade to correct a problem - but perhaps this case might actually be an exception given the type of problems involved. I'll let Richard tackle that particular question (as well as how to resolve the update problems he predicted in his prior post) as I'm not quite sure what he had in mind when he said that (but clearly has some idea which is better than I do at the moment).

I hope this helps. I'm sure Richard will notice the post and be along when he can to provide further assistance and guidance.

Good luck.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Keyboard
    Standard PS/2 Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Other Info

Dell AIO Printer A940

6TO4 Adapter
    Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Hello!

Lorien has said all there really is to say about Windows 7. I still use Vista, as does Lorien, as he said. However, a lot of people use 7, and prefer it to Vista. There must be a reason.

You seem to be very unlucky! Where did you restore from. In the computer industry, they say that any error from a System Recovery is an image to discard. From the point of view of Windows Updates:

Reset the Windows Update componetns in agressive mode. How do I reset Windows Update components? (run MS Fix It from this site in AGRESSIVE mode)

Retry. If there is still an issue, then try this fix: Repair & Fix Windows Updates with Fix WU Utility | The Windows Club

Re-try. If there is still an issue, post back here, and we can try the technical fixes that apply to your computer individually.

Thanks!

Richard

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Lorien & Richard, Thanks for your advice on Windows 7. It is better to wait for Windows 8 although I hope it is not an OS relying too much on 'cloud' computing as not everyone has fast and reliable broadband.

Richard, I tried both methods to fix Windows Update. Then some updates succeeded and some failed. I later remember I made a disc imaging backup of my system about two months ago. After restoring to it, my Windows Update works fine. Unfortunately at the time of the backup, my Personalize links didn't work.

Many thanks to everyone for your help.

Charlie

My Computer

You aren't having much luck, are you.

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Dell XPS 420
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Stock Dell 0TP406
    Memory
    4 gb (DDR2 800) 400MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1 x 640Gb (SATA 300)

1 x 1Tb (SATA 600)
    PSU
    Stock PSU - 375W
    Case
    Dell XPS 420
    Cooling
    Stock Fan
    Keyboard
    Dell Bluetooth
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    120 kb/s
    Other Info
Back