SP2 Disk Cleanup Tool

ByLine
How to Use the Vista SP2 Disk Cleanup Tool
Synopsis
This will show you how to run the Vista SP2 Cleanup Tool to permanently remove the backed up Vista RTM and SP1 files created during the installion of the Vista SP2 to gain more hard drive space.
How to Use the Vista SP2 Disk Cleanup Tool

information   Information
This will show you how to run the Vista SP2 Cleanup tool to permanently remove the Vista RTM and SP1 backed up files created during the installion of the Vista SP2 to gain more hard drive space.
warning   Warning
Running the Windows Vista Service Pack 2 Disk Clean-up tool permanently removes the ability to uninstall the Vista SP1 and SP2. Do not run this tool unless you have no plans of uninstalling the Vista SP1 or SP2 and just want to save or regain hard drive space. The only option to remove them after using this tool is to do a clean install of Vista.
Note   Note
To see how much space you recover, make a note of how much free space you have on the C:/ drive in Computer before and after you run the SP2 Cleanup Tool.

It appears that most people are gaining on average 1GB of space back afterwards. :)

Here's How:
2. In the elevated command prompt, type compcln.exe and then press Enter. (See screenshot below)​
3. Type Y when you see Would you like to continue? and press Enter.​
NOTE: Tying N will cancel running the Vista SP2 disk cleanup tool. You can also just close the command prompt window to cancel to.​
Command.jpg

4. It will take a little bit to finish. When it is finished, you will see the Windows Component Clean completed message. (See screenshot above)​
NOTE: You will see the Windows Component Clean was already run on this install message instead if you already ran this or installes Vista with a Vista installation disc that included SP2 with it.​
5. When it's done, you can close the elevated command prompt.​
6. Now, you just need to let all of us know how much space the tool cleared and saved for you. ;)
NOTE: I would happily tell you mine, but I have a Vista installation DVD that already includes the SP1 and SP2, so I have not backup files to clean up.​
That's it,
Shawn

Last edited by a moderator:
Shawn Brink

Comments

I'm just getting the message...'compcln.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Oh - and Newbie means just that...............

Hello Hanntom, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Do you have the Vista SP2 installed, and ran the command in a elevated command prompt (link at step 1)?

Hope this helps,
Shawn

I lost 1GB after this - does that make any sense?

When I entered Y it began to work and I did not have to press enter. I never got the message that it was completed though, the command prompt window just closed. I tried to run it again to make sure it completed but as soon as I typed in Y the command prompt box closes, no time to hit enter.

Another usefull guide thanks Brink
I need those extra GB's. Using a 120 GB SSD wich fast can go out of space :D
104GB Before
105GB After
This was with a clean install. I only have SP1 "build" in disc so I install SP2 after and clean it up. But also I must still use RTM becouse SP2 final is not available in my language. Dosn't matter, this works fine and I have used it for long time now. But I need a clean install today :p

Hello Carmine,

Have you made any system changes or installed any programs or drivers since installing SP2? It will not auto create a restore point unless it detects a change in the system at that scheduled time.

Hello Carmine,

Have you made any system changes or installed any programs or drivers since installing SP2? It will not auto create a restore point unless it detects a change in the system at that scheduled time.

Hi Shawn,
No changes at all.
I thought a restore point was made everyday.
( it used to because I increased the allocation size for RP's to 50GB ) then I just deleted them all.

it's kewl, thanks for the help.

Attachments

Didn't get a "space saved" report. Here's what I did get.

Great postings here though. Very useful !!! Thank you.

Last edited:
Hello Schmitman,

You would have had to manually look to see how much free space you had on your C: drive before and after running this to see how much space you have gained instead. It looks like it has ran successfully though. On average, most people have been getting back around 1 GB though. :)

Hello Gorn, and welcome to Vista Forums.

Wow, now that is a record. Did you not run the SP1 Disk Cleanup Tool before? If not, then that may be why you had more free space after running the SP2 cleanup tool.

Have just got 2 gig back following this guide after installing SP2 on Vista x64 Ultimate, so pretty pleased with that and once again it's all down to Shawn - cheers!

I checked before doing it, and i have 49,6 GB free on C:, and now I still have the same after it, everything ran just fine and correctly, but I didnt gain even an 0,1 GB, and I haven't ran this in SP1 cause I didn't even know that this exists. Anyway, I upgraded to SP2 just today lol