STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure}

zoom1209

Hi, I'm having a lot of trouble- I can't boot into windows. The PC begins to boot, then just after it reaches the 'loading windows' screen, I get the following blue screen :1057490_10200526436782284_314257718_n.jpg.

This occured after a powercut. Power went out, and when I turned the PC back on, I got the blue screen. So I'm guessing the registry was being written to just before the power went out.
I have tried safe mode, booting from last known good configuration, I've run chkdsk /r /f, chkdsk /f, to no avail.
I'm currently running on Ubuntu from a USB memory stick, and I can access the hard drive/ windows files. I can go into Windows/system32/config and also the 'regback' folder, although I'm a little afraid to touch those files, in case i destroy the system completely. I can also hook the hard drive up to a laptop running Windows 7, via a SATA-USB adapter.
I do not have a vista recovery disk or the install disk, I never got the installation disk when I bought the PC in 2008.
I'd be eternally grateful to get this resolved...

I also tried System restore, but I got an Error: I/O device error 0x8007045D. Cannot restore the system at all, with any of the restores.

My Computer

My Computer

System One

• Operating System
    Vista Home Premium 64 bit SP2
    Manufacturer/Model
    Cyberpower
    CPU
    Intel Quad CPU Q6700 2.67 GHZ
    Motherboard
    NVIDIA 780i
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster SB Audigy
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic VG2436
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080p
    Hard Drives
    Samsung HD 105SI
    WDC WD20
    Case
    Apevia XJupiter
    Cooling
    air
    Keyboard
    Logitech MX 3200
    Mouse
    Logitech MX 600
    Internet Speed
    30 Mbps
Any cure is going to require at least a repair disk - and many will require a full OS disk (and I can envisage having to replace the hard drive under certain circumstances).

Is this install SP1 or updated to SP2?
You should review the information on a repair install, here....
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88236-repair-install-vista.html?ltr=R

Thank you, this would be useful, however, I can't log in to Windows...
I may be wrong, but I don't remember upgrading to SP2, so I assume SP2 was installed to the PC when I bought it.

My Computer

As far as I know, no machines shipped with SP2 installed.
The reason I pointed you at the Repair install was that it gives instructions for obtaining the proper full installation media - This would enable you to potentially repair the current install, or do a clean install (Recovery disks do not normally allow repair operations)

My Computer

System One

• Manufacturer/Model
    Acer Aspire 8930G
Back