Tungsten E2 PalmOne & Vista

blastfemme

Hi, I'm new here. Actually, I'm new to posting at forums, period. I have searched and searched for the past week to hopefully find a solution to my problem, but haven't been able to find anything helpful, so I thought I'd try this route. While there are plenty of other forum postings about Vista (and Tungsten), I couldn't find a solution to my specific problem.

Here's my issue:

I bought a Tungtsen E2 Palmone a couple of years ago and it worked just fine with Windows XP. I didn't do anything major with it other than transfer information (contacts & calender) back and forth using HotSync. However, I recently purchased a new Acer computer with Windows Vista - Home Premium (64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+) with 1.75 GB RAM; System type: 32-bit Operating System. I knew the old installation CD wouldn't be compatible with Vista, so I downloaded PalmdesktopWin62.zip from the support page at Palmone.com which claims to be the driver to get my palm to work with Vista. My problem is that I can't seem to get Hot Sync to work properly. Hot Sync begins, but then gets interrupted by a prompt message "create a new account for this PC". If I click "cancel", it shuts down. If I click "yes", then it asks me to put in a password. I don't have a password, nor was I ever given one. I didn't need to use a password while using XP, and I certainly never assigned a password to my Palm.

I'm terribly frustrated by all this. If someone can please help me out, I would REALLY appreciate it!!!

My Computer

Have you tried contacting Palm?
You are trying to use the USB cradle, right?
I have the same setup on a laptop, and HotSync works fine with the E2 USB cradle.
On my desktop, which has Vista x64, the cradle does not work, and I have to HotSync via Bluetooth.

Have you tried not entering a password, or using your PC admin password?
OR
Is the password on your Palm?

If you have all data from the E2 backup, why don't you try a hard reset. This brings your device back to factory specs, and you can try from there, as for sure there will be no password.

Please let us knopw if any of these suggestions work

My Computer

Thanks for your reply, Orkel. I appreciate it!

Actually, I contacted Palm a few times and they finally got back to me. They gave me step by step instructions on how to delete this "so-called password" that I never used or even knew about. Anyhow, the desktop let me set everything up but when I tried to hotsync, none of the information transfered from the palm to the desktop and vice versa (the info on the desktop doesn't sync to the palm). Basically, without being able to sync, I'm right back to square one. Having the Palm desktop installed in my computer is useless if I can't sync anything.

Yeah, I use a USB cable from the comp, and attach the palm to it. Push the hot sync button on my palm to sync. Before it worked properly. Now it goes through the entire process, but no information has been transfered from either source. I feel like I'm repeating myself here. I guess I'm frustrated! I've heard of "bluetooth" before, but quite honestly, I have NO idea what it actually is nor how to attempt to use it. I know, I know, I'm not very computer literate. I aspire to be one day!

I've tried to reset the palm, yeah, but it doesn't change anything.

I'm now waiting to hear back from Palm again, but I figure it'll take them about a month -- just like last time.

Good news is that I finally got my HP printer, Logitech webcam, and Sansa MP3 player to work. That took a bit of time though, but glad that's done.

My Computer

I know it doesn't work with the USB cradle. That is the problem.
Until Palm comes up wiyh a solution, or the x64 drivers for the USB, the only way you are going to get it to work is through Bluetooth.
I have Vista x32 running on my laptop, and everything works fine. On my desktop, I have x64, and to get it to sync, I had to go buy a usb bluetooth device. Once I had that setup on desktop, and enabled and configured bluetooth on my Palm to connect to it, away I went. Works great.
A USB bluetooth network key is pretty cheap. I paid $30.00cdn for mine.

My Computer

Whether it's x64 or x32, I don't know quite honestly. I'm dense when it comes to computers. This is it:

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ 2.30 GHz
System Type: 32-bit Operating System

Anyhow, the Palm guys walked me through it and now I have no problems with the sync from my desktop to my palm, and vice versa.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

My Computer

Back